Author Topic: Greek Freak doesn’t want to work out and be buddies with other teams NBA stars  (Read 2339 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Giannis Antetokounmpo turned down Carmelo Anthony's invitation to play in a popular pickup game in New York City last summer that featured LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and James Harden.

“I can’t work out with you in the summer and then play you in a few months,” Antetokounmpo said. “It feels weird. It doesn’t feel right with me. Like other players, it’s cool for other players, but I don’t. I don’t want to. Other guys do it.”

He added that he doesn't want to be "buddy buddy" with his opponents, before mentioning that he and Kevin Durant only began texting each other a month ago.

Instead, Antetokoumpo worked out with Kobe Bryant for the first time last summer since Bryant wouldn't be able to use his secrets against him in a game.

https://theathletic.com/699085/2018/12/07/despite-invites-bucks-star-giannis-antetokounmpo-avoids-offseason-workouts-with-nba-elite-for-now/

Anyone else wish more stars were like this? Actually dislike other teams instead of being pals

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I love this guy. He is genuine.

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Magic softened Larry, 87' should have been ours.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
smart idea , why train yourself to go easy on them by getting close .  And why let them study your moves in person and pick up on things to get an advantage.

He is old school.

Go kayaking with them ,  don' t practice with the enemy.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I generally think all of the talk about players today being too friendly is overblown. On the other hand, Bird always worked out by himself during his summers, didn't he?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Magic softened Larry, 87' should have been ours.
Not sure if this is the take. Having Walton and Wedman decline so rapidly is what really did it IMO. Our bench was almost a complete non-factor in those playoffs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I generally think all of the talk about players today being too friendly is overblown. On the other hand, Bird always worked out by himself during his summers, didn't he?

I like this guy's attitude. Players are way too friendly off-court these days - never mind the hug-fest at the end of every game.

Bird hated all that. Remember his comments after shooting the Converse commercial with Johnson. Magic thinks they will be buddies after that and Bird is as cool as ever towards him.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sometimes the best way to get better is to challenge yourself by playing those better than you (or at least your equal).  Maybe Giannis would be even better if he was playing against the best all summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Giannis is the best ballhandler at his size ever.
Giannis is more athletic than prime LBJ.

Is that too much to say?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Is that too much to say?

I disagree.

The only thing Giannis has over prime Lebron is Length. I'm still not sure he's faster than current Lebron. Don't forget prime Lebron was once used to put the clamps on a prime MVP level Derrick Rose in the play-offs. Maybe the most explosive point-guard in the game at that time. I believe Rose even commented something like it's almost unfair for a guy that size to be able to move at that speed. That's a whole other level of quickness I don't believe Giannis has.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Is that too much to say?

I disagree.

The only thing Giannis has over prime Lebron is Length. I'm still not sure he's faster than current Lebron. Don't forget prime Lebron was once used to put the clamps on a prime MVP level Derrick Rose in the play-offs. Maybe the most explosive point-guard in the game at that time. I believe Rose even commented something like it's almost unfair for a guy that size to be able to move at that speed. That's a whole other level of quickness I don't believe Giannis has.
I count in the length for overall athletic ability.
Girls also say that it matters.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Is that too much to say?

I disagree.

Giannis has significant length, hand size and footwork that is superior to peak LeBron. He also seems to play with a sense of menace that LeBron didn't always have.

His other athletic traits may not have quite matched LeBron, but he's probably the only one that has come into the league since that has come close.

Both guys have super tight handles, the ability to consistently make faster reads of the defense than other players and both share an elite ability to finish in the lane. I think eventually Giannis will become even better than LeBron because the combination of added size and elite footwork give him the potential to go one level higher. Size and great pivoting skills are the most reliable offensive tools in basketball.

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Glad to see Giannis say this.  I hate these buddy-buddy players and was thinkg what LB would do.  What a joke.  By the way, Giannis can get better just by practicing his shooting and u can do that by yourself.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I like this guy's attitude. Players are way too friendly off-court these days - never mind the hug-fest at the end of every game.

Bird hated all that. Remember his comments after shooting the Converse commercial with Johnson. Magic thinks they will be buddies after that and Bird is as cool as ever towards him.

Me too.  Great respect for Bird and many others of the 80s and 90s on this.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Some people can play against their friends and go 100%. I'm not one of those people, and it seems like he isn't either by his comments.