Author Topic: Red Sox in talks to acquire Jake Peavy  (Read 10958 times)

Red Sox in talks to acquire Jake Peavy
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
We've heard the rumors, but this seems to be picking up some strength at the moment.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The White Sox and Red Sox are reviewing medical records on a possible Jake Peavy deal.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The Red Sox and White Sox have been talking about Jake Peavy, and sources say it's got legs.

Re: Red Sox in talks to acquire Jake Peavy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
jose iglesias is believed to be n the move. could be in peavy deal, but unconfirmed.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
red sox and white sox have a peavy deal.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 16m
#redsox are in serious talks for jake peavy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Not the world's biggest Sox fan, but I'd be terribly dissappointed if they moved any of the kids they pulled early tonight

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Ken RosenthalVerified account
‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Exec’s speculation: Peavy to BOS, Iglesias to DET (to cover for Peralta suspension) and A. Garcia to CWS. Just speculation at this time.

Well that's a nobrainer, assuming the other piece the Sox give up isn't a bigtime prospect. Selling high on Iglesias, getting a quality innings eater in Peavy, moving Workman to the pen which fills the teams biggest need. Also, most likely means the Bogaerts era begins sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:24:51 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:39 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
So the sox did get peavy giving up Iglesias and prospects that I hadnt heard of.  (and I do visit soxprospects.com a fair amount.) so naturally I like the deal. 

I just wonder what the plan is going forward at third base?  is Middlebrooks taking over are they calling up bogarts?  Do they see Bogarts as a SS longterm?

Either way I picked up Bogarts in my fantasy league incase they do surprise and bring him up. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Ken RosenthalVerified account
‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Exec’s speculation: Peavy to BOS, Iglesias to DET (to cover for Peralta suspension) and A. Garcia to CWS. Just speculation at this time.

Well that's a nobrainer, assuming the other piece the Sox give up isn't a bigtime prospect. Selling high on Iglesias, getting a quality innings eater in Peavy, moving Workman to the pen which fills the teams biggest need. Also, most likely means the Bogaerts era begins sooner rather than later.

agreed. looking forward to seeing Bogaerts (if that's the plan) and haven't seen Peavy pitch this year so he will be interesting too...

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Brock Holt is tabbed as the immediate Iglesias replacement at this point. I know they want to get Middlebrooks right, but even at his worst, he's still not worse than Holt at his best...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is a great trade for the Sox.  I don't see Iglesias having any spot here longterm.  He just doesn't have the bat you need to play SS for a big market team like the Sox, and they are set up perfectly with Bogaerts and their first rounder last year coming up through the system as SS, and Drew is holding down the fort until then. 

Peavy isn't what he used to be, but he is still a very good starting pitcher, who could be big for this team in the playoffs.

But the best part about this is that it opens up a spot for Bogaerts to step in at third down the stretch.  I am not exactly sure how the arbitration clock works, but I imagine as soon as they can call him up, while minimizing the amount the clock ticks, they will. 

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
This is a great trade for the Sox.  I don't see Iglesias having any spot here longterm.  He just doesn't have the bat you need to play SS for a big market team like the Sox, and they are set up perfectly with Bogaerts and their first rounder last year coming up through the system as SS, and Drew is holding down the fort until then. 

Peavy isn't what he used to be, but he is still a very good starting pitcher, who could be big for this team in the playoffs.

But the best part about this is that it opens up a spot for Bogaerts to step in at third down the stretch.  I am not exactly sure how the arbitration clock works, but I imagine as soon as they can call him up, while minimizing the amount the clock ticks, they will.

I don't think it should be a problem arbitration wise, they did it with Ellsbury in 07, I assume it will be the same with Boegarts
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I don't think it should be a problem arbitration wise, they did it with Ellsbury in 07, I assume it will be the same with Boegarts

But didn't Ellsbury not come up until close to September though?

Although I looked up the arbitration rules, and I don't think he would lose a year, even if he comes up right now.  But, they might just try to keep him at pawtucket for as long as possible.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
But, they might just try to keep him at pawtucket for as long as possible.

This is my guess as well, i'm thinking they call up Middlebrooks and give him another shot, he's been taking more walks in Pawtucket lately atleast. Apparently the Sox were close to sending Iglesias down in favor of Middlebrooks anyways.

If he still really struggles, can always call Bogaerts up then, but i have a feeling he will play well.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
But, they might just try to keep him at pawtucket for as long as possible.

This is my guess as well, i'm thinking they call up Middlebrooks and give him another shot, he's been taking more walks in Pawtucket lately atleast. Apparently the Sox were close to sending Iglesias down in favor of Middlebrooks anyways.

If he still really struggles, can always call Bogaerts up then, but i have a feeling he will play well.

I am skeptical of Middlebrooks.  He just has a huge hole in his swing, and it seems like now that there is more of a book on him, pitchers are taking advantage of it. 

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
I am skeptical of Middlebrooks.  He just has a huge hole in his swing, and it seems like now that there is more of a book on him, pitchers are taking advantage of it.

It's hard not to be skeptical, he seemingly has no plan when he's at the plate. That said, he's great defensively at 3rd and will run into his share of HR's. Rationally i can look at it and give plenty of reasons why he will continue to struggle. Knowing this could be his last chance in Boston, he very well could press too hard and play like early this season. But for some reason i see him putting up something like 260/300/470 the rest of the way.

Most likely will be wrong, but if so, always have Bogaerts waiting in the wings. A little more time in Pawtucket won't hurt him.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:23:37 AM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not a Sox fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, if you will, but, I am no fan of Peavy.

There were rumors my Braves were interested, and let me say, I am completely relieved they didn't end up really pursuing him that hard.  Not worth the assets or the money.

Peavy just isn't anything near what he used to be .  Too injured, and not that good anymore.  His ERA this season is 4.58, which is rather average (even for the AL).

The again, the Sox have far more money to spend than the Braves, so they can probably afford to make a mistake like this and keep on trucking.  Man do I miss the days of Ted Turner as owner (as much as I loathe the actual man).

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Not a Sox fan, so take what I say with a grain of salt, if you will, but, I am no fan of Peavy.

There were rumors my Braves were interested, and let me say, I am completely relieved they didn't end up really pursuing him that hard.  Not worth the assets or the money.

Peavy just isn't anything near what he used to be .  Too injured, and not that good anymore.  His ERA this season is 4.58, which is rather average (even for the AL).

The again, the Sox have far more money to spend than the Braves, so they can probably afford to make a mistake like this and keep on trucking.  Man do I miss the days of Ted Turner as owner (as much as I loathe the actual man).

One thing I will say is if you take out peavys 3 bad starts, he has a 2.36 ERA in 10 starts.