Author Topic: We need Size::We need Gasol  (Read 13919 times)

Re: We need Size::We need Gasol
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
What about this:

LAL get: JET, Green, Bass, 1st rounder
BOS get: Pau

I know it leaves us thin at SF, but you know what?  KG and Pau, WOW!  Would the Lakers be interested in this type of package though is the question...

No they would not.

If they knew what was good for them they'd be interested.  Green, Bass and Terry is about asgood of a return for Pau as they are ever going to get.  I just can't fathom any team out there offering more.

Then again, if they knew what they were doing they never would have hired Mr. Pringles as coach.  The Lakers are light years worse of a mess than the C's right now.  At least we have that.

I figured it is a pretty decent return.  I tried to see it from an outsiders perspective (heck I even asked a friend who is a Knicks fan who said it made sense on both sides). JG slots into the role he has here, backup a future HOF'er, but he can also run in the system.  Terry goes back West and probably gets his swagger back bc I think he still has it, but we can't seem to fit him in and use him correctly.  And Bass is just a solid role player.  Throw in that 1st rounder and maybe we are talking.  With Gasol's value seemingly at its lowest ever, I figured this wasn't a bad idea.  Works in trade checker as well salary-wise and gives us that 1-2 year window until we truly have to transition if you will  :)
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Bass doesn't have to be included to make the numbers work.  Pau makes only $2.2 mil more than Pierce and we have $2.7 mil of room under the apron.  I know Pau has a 15% trade kicker, but due to various CBA regulations it amounts to something like a 4% kick and the cap burden for paying it falls to the team trading him I believe.

I think Bass for Clark is too much of a poison pill in this deal - the Lakers are already giving up the younger star.  That's compensation enough for the cost savings and flexibility of Pierce's deal. Getting Ebanks thrown in is probably the best we could hope for in terms of Laker sweeteners.

+1 for the first paragraph, didn't realize that, thanks

Don't agree with thesecond paragraph, though, I guess that depends on 1. how bad the Fakers want to get rid of Pau (I am concerned about that now with Howard being hurt)and 2. obviously, what the market will bare (bear?), i.e. who wants him and how bad

An article in the Miami Sun Sentinel the other day suggested two trades for Gasol. One was for Bosh. The other involved a lot of spare parts and useless draft picks. That's a  pretty broad spectrum.

Again, my feeling is that given that he hasn't been starting, is in D'Antoni's doghouse and thinks that he is going to be traded all lower his value, and make that huge contract, especially for next year pretty weighty.

If that is the case, I think that they might be persuaded to part with Clark.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:33:43 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I saw this same idea on ESPN this morning.  I forget who was talking about it, but he said that providing Pau was healthy, he would do this trade.  Gasol is three years younger than Paul, so it keeps us contenders longer.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I saw this same idea on ESPN this morning.  I forget who was talking about it, but he said that providing Pau was healthy, he would do this trade.  Gasol is three years younger than Paul, so it keeps us contenders longer.

Must've been an intelligent,insightful guy. ;D