Author Topic: Romeo Langford ceiling  (Read 3354 times)

Re: Romeo Langford ceiling
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 07:59:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Romeo's ceiling: looks OK if you ask me.
Romeo's floor: needs refurbishing.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:19 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Floor is bust.

Ceiling is poor mans Terry Rozier.
Lol. Keep harping on this man, your hate for Langford doesn't even come in the form of posts that make any sense anymore.

Langford is a strong-bodied 6'4" guard-wing with exceptional length who slashes well and is a defensive stud in the making. Rozier is a 6'1 point guard. Langford is also a better rookie than Rozier was despite being younger and playing on a deeper better team.

I guess you need something else to harp on about now that your "Gordon Hayward is Evan Turner 2.0" spiel has disappeared

Sorry dude but im entitled to my own opinion...even busts have good games and so far Romeo has not given me anything to say that he will be a star...nothing .

Now if Romeo was ave. 8 points this season then we can talk serviceable 8th man...thats why im saying that was his ceiling..a poor mans Rozier which tbf is not a bad player...and stop comparing body types..im ralking about their style of game. If Rozier was Romeos height then Terry would be a star...Romeo already has the height but his game is just too raw for now.

Rozier averaged 1.8 his first year and 5.5 his second, so does that mean he'll never be a serviceable 8th man? I can't see how Romeo could average 8, when he got very little run. He was also injured and missed a lot of the early season.

I have no idea if he'll be any good. Looks like he's a pretty good defender, for a rookie. Needs to work on his shot, but appears to have pretty good vision. Have to wait and see. I certainly can't see calling him a bust at this time.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Very difficult to say right now.  On the one hand, he's definitely an NBA player (unlike some choices in the recent past).  Looks like a good athlete that can slash once he get's comfortable.  Yes, his shooting likely won't ever be good.

Hence I'm making the Demar comparison/ceiling.   As long as Langford can hit the FTs over 75 percent, it won't be all that bad (worst case)

DeRozan an elite midrange shooter.  Elite.  This comparison doesn't work, Triboy.  At least not now.

At the moment, am not sure a good prototype.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Very difficult to say right now.  On the one hand, he's definitely an NBA player (unlike some choices in the recent past).  Looks like a good athlete that can slash once he get's comfortable.  Yes, his shooting likely won't ever be good.

Hence I'm making the Demar comparison/ceiling.   As long as Langford can hit the FTs over 75 percent, it won't be all that bad (worst case)

DeRozan an elite midrange shooter.  Elite.  This comparison doesn't work, Triboy.  At least not now.

Man, I reviewed the data, and have to admit that on further reflection, DeRozan is a pretty good example.  Watched more tape of Langford from HS, and he does remind of Demar quite a bit.  TP to you, Triboy.

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Man, I reviewed the data, and have to admit that on further reflection, DeRozan is a pretty good example.  Watched more tape of Langford from HS, and he does remind of Demar quite a bit.  TP to you, Triboy.

Their athleticism is very similar. I think DeRozan's shooting form naturally led to a mid-range game that became deadly. Langford's form is different and I think it will be more difficult to develop NBA fade-aways (not impossible, just not as natural). I think many fans may not see Langford's comfort scoring anywhere inside 12 feet with a variety of moves - floaters with either hand, layups with either hand, two foot jumping, one foot jumping, wrong foot jumping, sudden stop/half fade ala Hayward, etc. That kind of craftiness is where his strength will be. That's why I tend to think Hayward is a better comparison.

I like his willingness to fit into the team right now without demanding the ball or forcing bad shots (ahem, Semi Ojeleye, ahem). I like his effort on defense and I think there is enough evidence to suggest he is working hard on his jumpshot. I think he will be successful in the NBA because of those qualities.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Whenever he’s played, he’s shown to be a good defender (at least to me anyways). Offensively, he’s rough around the edges but there’s something there. The question is if he gets playing time/stays healthy enough to be part of the rotation. With his size and combination of skills, he’d be a good sixth man type off/spot starter off the bench. Could be a big boost for the pathetic bench right now if he progresses.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yeah.  Its not the perfect comparison but much more accurate than Evan Turner comparison

Derozan can slither/find the smallest gaps to get the ball off near the basket.  Or absorb contact/draw fouls

Both can draw multiple defenders and make the little hockey passes

Both are versatile defenders.  But Langford ceiling is higher due to better focus and longer wingspan

Overall Langford has ways to go.  But even without a reliable 3,  he could still turn out to be a good two way player (as long as his FTs are in the 75 percent range).