Author Topic: Romeo Langford ceiling  (Read 3353 times)

Romeo Langford ceiling
« on: August 10, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The shooting is worrisome...but I guess if one keeps focusing on it.  It may never be his strong suit

Langford 1 on 1 and overall defense has been surprisingly good. There is some lockdown potential there

minus the shooting I see some Demar Derozan similarities.  I don't know how some stated similar to Evan Turner. Langford is much more explosive and better defender

recent highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQnHUz4W3wg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DOVpKU4Ak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlUx5TJpSkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Ul1zFgal4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WI8lcBBLqI

Re: Romeo Langford ceiling
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Offensively, I think he could be as good as Caris Lavert. Not quite an all-star through just offense, but still a really good player. For me, the verdict is still out defensively. I like a lot of what I'm seeing from him. If he can be as good defensively as it looks, he could be special.

Depending on how the Cs roster is constructed moving forward, we may not see him at his best, but he could be a valuable trade chip.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 02:39:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Offensively, I think he could be as good as Caris Lavert. Not quite an all-star through just offense, but still a really good player. For me, the verdict is still out defensively. I like a lot of what I'm seeing from him. If he can be as good defensively as it looks, he could be special.

Depending on how the Cs roster is constructed moving forward, we may not see him at his best, but he could be a valuable trade chip.

good points

Though would hate another Joe Johnson outcome

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Very difficult to say right now.  On the one hand, he's definitely an NBA player (unlike some choices in the recent past).  Looks like a good athlete that can slash once he get's comfortable.  Yes, his shooting likely won't ever be good.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 02:44:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not worried about it at this point.  kid does ok when he's on the floor with his defense and ability to drive and finish at the basket. 

if he's having shooting issues after next year, it may be something to discuss.  I suspect though that he'll look like a [dang] good player in the rotation before next season is out.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Very difficult to say right now.  On the one hand, he's definitely an NBA player (unlike some choices in the recent past).  Looks like a good athlete that can slash once he get's comfortable.  Yes, his shooting likely won't ever be good.

Hence I'm making the Demar comparison/ceiling.   As long as Langford can hit the FTs over 75 percent, it won't be all that bad (worst case)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm not worried about it at this point.  kid does ok when he's on the floor with his defense and ability to drive and finish at the basket. 

if he's having shooting issues after next year, it may be something to discuss. I suspect though that he'll look like a [dang] good player in the rotation before next season is out.

I think so.  Langford and timelord should see some healthy consistent minutes next season.   Shave a min or two each from Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward,  Kemba. Give them a little more rest in the regular season

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

good points

Me too. I actually do think he has a bit more natural of a playmaking feel than Tatum or Brown in their rookie seasons. He has some craftiness going to the bucket that may mean he could develop into another ball-handler.

I actually just got thinking about this. I think the best-case scenario outcome for him is a player we have on our team -- Gordon Hayward. Hayward at his best was a primary creator, even if he wasn't a point guard. He is a really good two-way player who has always had a somewhat inconsistent jumpshot but was good at scoring going to the basket in many ways. Langford could probably be a better defender than him though.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The ceiling is that he takes over for Hayward in a few years and becomes the 3rd wheel in the wing rotation. He becomes a very strong defender and scores 14 points a game for years behind Tatum and Brown.

Watching Hayward at 100% last night reminded me of my original opinion of the Celtics this year. I thought by the end of the year, we would not see Kemba Walker as an ideal starter, because our 3 wings are just too good not to get everyone else out of the way. Is there really any scenario at this point where Tatum and Brown don't continue to take up more and more of the team's offense?

I don't see how he can possibly take any space from those two for a decade or so, so if he gets better than that, it will have to be somewhere else. On a strong championship contender though, that's a very nice place to be.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:16:38 PM by td450 »

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
With the right mindset and continued work ethic he should be as good as ET.     Simular becaus both are so fluid and smooth working in the lane or in side the 12 foot area ,  with clever quick moves that out fake and fool bigs into poor defense and lenght that bother shorty type gusrds .

Romeo needs to practice his shots on the move with fast releases , ,  he has a nose for the ball and seems to track the shots well as a vet alteady. .   He has the moves and balance to find a seam and get a shot .  Just needs tons of hours of work to hit his shots with great efficiency

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:08:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

good points

Me too. I actually do think he has a bit more natural of a playmaking feel than Tatum or Brown in their rookie seasons. He has some craftiness going to the bucket that may mean he could develop into another ball-handler.

I actually just got thinking about this. I think the best-case scenario outcome for him is a player we have on our team -- Gordon Hayward. Hayward at his best was a primary creator, even if he wasn't a point guard. He is a really good two-way player who has always had a somewhat inconsistent jumpshot but was good at scoring going to the basket in many ways. Langford could probably be a better defender than him though.

I have been thinking this as well, and if it comes to fruition the timing could work very well as Hayward exits his prime in a couple years, and Langford much more developed by then. 

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 11:45:11 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm not sure at this point, but I'd say he has the potential to become an All-Star calibre player with his two way potential. Defence still moves the needle for players in terms of player impact who aren't top class offensive engines (think the likes of Doncic/Harden/LeBron this season) no matter how much people would like to believe otherwise.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 03:02:05 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Floor is bust.

Ceiling is poor mans Terry Rozier.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 03:52:05 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Floor is bust.

Lol. Keep harping on this man, your hate for Langford doesn't even come in the form of posts that make any sense anymore.

Langford is a strong-bodied 6'4" guard-wing with exceptional length who slashes well and is a defensive stud in the making. Rozier is a 6'1 point guard. Langford is also a better rookie than Rozier was despite being younger and playing on a deeper better team.

I guess you need something else to harp on about now that your "Gordon Hayward is Evan Turner 2.0" spiel has disappeared
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 04:00:03 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Floor is bust.

Lol. Keep harping on this man, your hate for Langford doesn't even come in the form of posts that make any sense anymore.

Langford is a strong-bodied 6'4" guard-wing with exceptional length who slashes well and is a defensive stud in the making. Rozier is a 6'1 point guard. Langford is also a better rookie than Rozier was despite being younger and playing on a deeper better team.

I guess you need something else to harp on about now that your "Gordon Hayward is Evan Turner 2.0" spiel has disappeared

Sorry dude but im entitled to my own opinion...even busts have good games and so far Romeo has not given me anything to say that he will be a star...nothing .

Now if Romeo was ave. 8 points this season then we can talk serviceable 8th man...thats why im saying that was his ceiling..a poor mans Rozier which tbf is not a bad player...and stop comparing body types..im ralking about their style of game. If Rozier was Romeos height then Terry would be a star...Romeo already has the height but his game is just too raw for now.