Author Topic: Then it was just the 76ers  (Read 13155 times)

Re: Then it was just the 76ers
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 11:59:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Toronto and Philly are at a similar level now.

The Raps were a cut below the Celtics when they had Derozan and the Celts were missing Kyrie and Hayward.

The Celts will have Kyrie and Hayward back plus another year of development for Brown and Tatum.  I think that more than makes up for the upgrade of Kawhi + Green over Derozan and Poeltl.

Besides, who knows what sort of shape Kawhi will be in?  He's also made clear -- already -- that he doesn't want to be in Toronto. 

Another thing people are discounting entirely is that the Raps went from a Coach of the Year to a head coach with zero head coaching experience.  Nick Nurse might be great, but he will take some time to become great, just like Brad Stevens did.

I don't think it's right to say that Toronto has been eliminated from the running, but the Celts sit atop the East a cut above the rest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Think Philly took a step back this offseason so far..lost Bellinelli and Ersan..added no one except draft players
Don't think losing Belli and Ersan, who were post trade deadline pickups, is much of a loss.  They picked up Wilson Chandler via trade. 

You can tell you're definitely a Sixers fan with this one!

The Sixers went 20-3 with Ilyasova both and Belinelli and were 32-27 prior to their arrival. They providing spacing and high IQ play, things that will heavily missed.

Chandler isn't the best on that team. As his athletic ability has waned, his best position now is small ball 4, positions that Simmons and Saric are also best suited for. In addition, his ability to stretch the floor isn't that good. His last 4 seasons he's shot the following from 3:

Their spacing is definitely going to take a huge hit!

Strong post eddie.
come on now, you have been going on for months about the Sixers schedule down the stretch sucked.  Which is it, did the schedule suck or were Ilyasova and Bellinelli the key to that success?  You can't have it both ways.
Why can't you have it both ways? multiple things go into a hot stretch.

Yea exactly. Confused why someone would think this was an either or?
The Sixers won the 5 games directly preceding Belinelli joining the team (and 6 of 7), the loss was to the Pacers, but they had wins over Miami, Washington, New Orleans, and LAC.  Won his 1st game, but lost the next 2 before they beat Cleveland then Ilyasova joined the team. They went 3-3 in Ilyasova's first 6 games before winning 16 straight to close out the season.  It should also be noted that the Sixers were at one point 15-19 on the season.  When Belinelli signed on they were 30-25, so they had gone 15-6 in their prior 21 games.

Given that, I don't see how anyone could claim that the Sixers were winning because of Belinelli and Ilyasova.  It is an absolutely ridiculous position to take.

Go tell all their fans on Liberty Ballers they have taken a ridiculous position, because it is pretty much the accepted position over there that Illy and Bellinelli opened up their floor for Simmons and Embiid during the regular season (they did not help during the playoffs), particularly against the weaker teams and helped them get some regular season wins. Maybe they are all wrong and ridiculous I don't know. My guess is they know a bit more than you about their team.

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Think Philly took a step back this offseason so far..lost Bellinelli and Ersan..added no one except draft players
Don't think losing Belli and Ersan, who were post trade deadline pickups, is much of a loss.  They picked up Wilson Chandler via trade. 

The Sixers went 20-3 with Ilyasova both and Belinelli and were 32-27 prior to their arrival. They providing spacing and high IQ play, things that will heavily missed.

Chandler isn't the best on that team. As his athletic ability has waned, his best position now is small ball 4, positions that Simmons and Saric are also best suited for. In addition, his ability to stretch the floor isn't that good. His last 4 seasons he's shot the following from 3:

Strong post eddie.
come on now, you have been going on for months about the Sixers schedule down the stretch sucked.  Which is it, did the schedule suck or were Ilyasova and Bellinelli the key to that success?  You can't have it both ways.

The Sixers won the 5 games directly preceding Belinelli joining the team (and 6 of 7), the loss was to the Pacers, but they had wins over Miami, Washington, New Orleans, and LAC.  Won his 1st game, but lost the next 2 before they beat Cleveland then Ilyasova joined the team. They went 3-3 in Ilyasova's first 6 games before winning 16 straight to close out the season.  It should also be noted that the Sixers were at one point 15-19 on the season.  When Belinelli signed on they were 30-25, so they had gone 15-6 in their prior 21 games.

Given that, I don't see how anyone could claim that the Sixers were winning because of Belinelli and Ilyasova.  It is an absolutely ridiculous position to take.

Go tell all their fans on Liberty Ballers they have taken a ridiculous position, because it is pretty much the accepted position over there that Illy and Bellinelli opened up their floor for Simmons and Embiid during the regular season (they did not help during the playoffs), particularly against the weaker teams and helped them get some regular season wins. Maybe they are all wrong and ridiculous I don't know. My guess is they know a bit more than you about their team.
Fans of a team are always crazy.  I seem to recall an article over there that basically said Fultz was better than adding Hayward and Irving.  Fans fall in love with players.  They overrate (and underrate) their value and performance all the time.  I mean look at the wide range of opinions about basically every Celtic by members of this board. 

The schedule got worse, Embiid, Simmons, and Saric got comfortable playing together (which started before Marco got there as evident by that 15-6 run), and the Sixers started winning.  That winning continued after Marco and Ersan signed, because they are solid veteran role players, but the Sixers weren't winning because they signed a 6th and 7th man as buy out candidates.  They were winning because their young guys got better and the schedule got easier.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Strong post eddie.

Fans of a team are always crazy.  I seem to recall an article over there that basically said Fultz was better than adding Hayward and Irving.  Fans fall in love with players.  They overrate (and underrate) their value and performance all the time.  I mean look at the wide range of opinions about basically every Celtic by members of this board. 

The schedule got worse, Embiid, Simmons, and Saric got comfortable playing together (which started before Marco got there as evident by that 15-6 run), and the Sixers started winning.  That winning continued after Marco and Ersan signed, because they are solid veteran role players, but the Sixers weren't winning because they signed a 6th and 7th man as buy out candidates.  They were winning because their young guys got better and the schedule got easier.

Moranis, with all due respect you are talking out of your butt on this. In April, shorthanded with Embiid hurt,  Belli averaged 18.5 points during the 76ers 7-0 month shooting 43% from 3 with more than 3 makes a game. Illy was even better during this April run nearly averaging a double double with 14 points, 9 rebounds and 41% from 3 on 2 3's a game. If you are going to sit here with a straight face and say two guys combining for 32 points 5 3's and 10 rebounds while shooting over 40% from 3 didn't help them string together numerous regular season wins, I have to question your agenda and motives on it, cause i know you understand basketball better than that. Adding in the fact that you had the gall to call the take "ridiculous" and it approaches satire.

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Counting out the raptors when they just acquired a mvp level talent is odd

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Strong post eddie.

Moranis, with all due respect you are talking out of your butt on this. In April, shorthanded with Embiid hurt,  Belli averaged 18.5 points during the 76ers 7-0 month shooting 43% from 3 with more than 3 makes a game. Illy was even better during this April run nearly averaging a double double with 14 points, 9 rebounds and 41% from 3 on 2 3's a game. If you are going to sit here with a straight face and say two guys combining for 32 points 5 3's and 10 rebounds while shooting over 40% from 3 didn't help them string together numerous regular season wins, I have to question your agenda and motives on it, cause i know you understand basketball better than that. Adding in the fact that you had the gall to call the take "ridiculous" and it approaches satire.
Fultz had a triple double down the stretch as well and the Sixers won his last 10 games in which Fultz averaged 18 mpg.  I guess Fultz was the reason they won those games. 

Ersan and Marco played well (I've never said otherwise), but they were the Sixers 6th and 7th man.  You don't win 16 straight games because of your 6th and 7th man.  They can help win a game here or there, but they are not the reason the Sixers went on a huge win streak to close the season.  It is in fact a ridiculous position to take. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Strong post eddie.

Fultz had a triple double down the stretch as well and the Sixers won his last 10 games in which Fultz averaged 18 mpg.  I guess Fultz was the reason they won those games. 

Ersan and Marco played well (I've never said otherwise), but they were the Sixers 6th and 7th man.  You don't win 16 straight games because of your 6th and 7th man.  They can help win a game here or there, but they are not the reason the Sixers went on a huge win streak to close the season.  It is in fact a ridiculous position to take.

Fultz had a triple double in the last season of the game when the Bucks benched their players in the second quarter and had Sterling Brown playing 33 minutes to lead the squad. You are really weakening any argument by trying to bring that in to mean anything. Triple double nonsense aside, you could convince me that Fultz helped them win a few regular season games though. That being said, said guys playing 30 minutes a game and averaging a combined 32 points a game during half the win streak not being a major factor is a pretty basic premise. Seems like your just being stubborn in refusing to admit and probably didn't realize how well they played. If you want to say me and all the 76ers fans that regularly acknowledge these guys were big factors in their success during the regular season grind are taking a ridiculous position, have fun dying on the hill buddy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
IDK, I wouldn't sleep on the Pacers.  They took the Cavs to 7 and added to their roster.  I think the C's can beat them, but they could be a legit #2-#3 in the conference.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
IDK, I wouldn't sleep on the Pacers.  They took the Cavs to 7 and added to their roster.  I think the C's can beat them, but they could be a legit #2-#3 in the conference.

I agree. I think Evans was a great get for there roster. I also think people don't realize that Turner is 2 full years younger than Embiid and still improving. Kyle O'Quinn was a really nice get as a backup also. I think they could be very good next year.

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I agree. I think Evans was a great get for there roster. I also think people don't realize that Turner is 2 full years younger than Embiid and still improving. Kyle O'Quinn was a really nice get as a backup also. I think they could be very good next year.

I'd put the Pacers up there with anybody outside of Philly, Toronto, or Boston.

I like what they've done with their roster a lot, and they could win 50+ in the regular season.  I just don't really fear a team with Oladipo as its only elite scorer.  Keep in mind I really like Oladipo, since before he played for the Pacers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think they battle it out with Milwaukee for HCA.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I'd put the Pacers up there with anybody outside of Philly, Toronto, or Boston.

I like what they've done with their roster a lot, and they could win 50+ in the regular season.  I just don't really fear a team with Oladipo as its only elite scorer.  Keep in mind I really like Oladipo, since before he played for the Pacers.

Tyreke Evans averaged near 20 points in 31 minutes last year shooting 40% from 3. Then you get another leap from Turner and that is a pretty decent amount of scoring, no?

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Strong post eddie.

Are these the same Liberty Ballers that had endless Noel vs. Okafor debates?  Are these the same Liberty Ballers that wanted to pay Noel 20M per year to be a backup behind Embiid?  There is a lot of nonsense posted over there just like there is over here.  Even so I don't remember seeing much griping over there about losing Ilyasova and Belinelli especially considering their contract offers. 

The Sixers starting 5 had the best net rating in the league.  Their problem was the big drop off when they went to the bench.  The Sixers bench lost multiple big 4th quarter leads.  Ilyasova and Belinelli were picked up after the trade deadline to improve their bench play which they did during the regular season but not during the playoffs.  No one is disputing that they helped the Sixers but to act like they are a big loss is just not reality.  They are both imminently replaceable.   

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Strong post eddie.

Are these the same Liberty Ballers that had endless Noel vs. Okafor debates?  Are these the same Liberty Ballers that wanted to pay Noel 20M per year to be a backup behind Embiid?  There is a lot of nonsense posted over there just like there is over here.  Even so I don't remember seeing much griping over there about losing Ilyasova and Belinelli especially considering their contract offers. 

The Sixers starting 5 had the best net rating in the league.  Their problem was the big drop off when they went to the bench.  The Sixers bench lost multiple big 4th quarter leads.  Ilyasova and Belinelli were picked up after the trade deadline to improve their bench play which they did during the regular season but not during the playoffs.  No one is disputing that they helped the Sixers but to act like they are a big loss is just not reality.  They are both imminently replaceable.

We were discussing how many wins the two helped them get in the regular season last year. Now surprise surprise Embiid missed their last 9+ wins cause he was injured, and these bench players helped them win those games. Thank you for your irrelevant pro-philly comment again.

Also I don't see what is weird about them debating Okafor versus Noel. Any team in the league would have their fans debate the two players if they picked centers in the lottery and were both on the team competing for the same spot. Swing and a miss.

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Other teams tanking and not worrying about standings is what helped them the most to win games down the stretch.  I thought their bench got stronger mid season, too but that strength is gone largely.  They have some nice pieces but are have flaws here and there.  Simmons can't shoot and does not have a great winning drive.  Embiid is great but has brittle health.  Fultz is a mess and also lack the winning drive.