Author Topic: Brown asked to play summer league, Stevens said no  (Read 4369 times)

Re: Brown asked to play summer league, Stevens said no
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope. If you can improve your game while being guarded halfheartedly during training, you sure will improve your game in a real game. It is the perfect opportunity to try things out. I'm sure if there's a guarantee that Jaylen won't get injured, they'd allow him to play.

You cannot underestimate how playing in a low pressure environment can help someone get better. Its only bad if that's the only thing you are gonna do.

I have concluded reading your posts that you have not played organized basketball at a high level.  Because what your saying is not what is true in real live.   Go and play the kids in the neighborhood and skill up your game and see how that serves you on the real court. 

Also, as far as trying things out, a player has a good idea what they can do anyways if they play real ball not the low pressure crap you're talking about.   Most players try things out with no one on them, practicing by themselves or challenging their friends.   Who decides to try to dunk it from the foul line in a game for the first time.   That is hillarious. 

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I agree with Celtics4Ever. If Brown wants to practice in real time game conditions he is bedt off finding one of the many all NBA player pick up games that happen across the country in the summer. Playing against much less skilled players in the basic pick up basketball enviroment that is Summer League basketball is not going to help him as much as those pro player pick up games.

Besides, the coaching staff and front office need to see players on their Summer League team play. Playing Brown would only give them less opportunity to work with other Celtics like Yabu, Semi and Williams as Brown would dominate play.

Love Brown's attitude of wanting to play, wanting to get better, and maybe get to plsy with a few of his teammates in real time game conditions. But he has grown beyond Summer League play. He won't get anything out of it except maybe an ego boost, which I don't think he needs.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Brown is just dedicated to his craft. I love that about him
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Opposite of fultz

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

That is why I for one do not want to give up on him and send him out for an older guy.   I think he has a good chance to continue to improve given his attitude.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359

That is why I for one do not want to give up on him and send him out for an older guy.   I think he has a good chance to continue to improve given his attitude.

I do not either and I dont think danny really will.....The way the celtics are set up even with the contract situations and age of the players  has us being competitive for years.

I think the kawhi rumors were testing the waters.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Love seeing the drive from Jaylen.

Like the decision from the team to say no. At this stage, Brown will probably be better served working on individual aspects of his game alone or in one-on-ones. He gets and will continue to get plenty of court time. He just needs skill work.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
think he has been working on new moves , footwork etc.   He is healthy and wants to show off what he can do.....just like a kid with a new bike ,  soon just riding isn't enough ,  you need to show your friends whellies and tricks

I think he exceeds everybody's expectations once again next year. 

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Brown played a full NBA season and then almost all of our playoff games at very high level. Same reason CBS and DA did not want Tatum in SL....because he played a ton of games and needs some time to recover. It just would make zero sense. But I LOVE that he asked to play.

I think Baron Davis used to play SL to get in shape.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 01:49:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Can you imagine how much better Brown would be if he developed a grade A pick n roll, pick n pop game.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Dont see Brown developing a PnR game. Haven't shown the BBIQ for it.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Brown played a full NBA season and then almost all of our playoff games at very high level. Same reason CBS and DA did not want Tatum in SL....because he played a ton of games and needs some time to recover. It just would make zero sense. But I LOVE that he asked to play.

I think Baron Davis used to play SL to get in shape.

Luckily, it doesn't look like Jaylen has that problem.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Dont see Brown developing a PnR game. Haven't shown the BBIQ for it.

He ran the pick-and-roll 82 times last season, scoring .73 points per possession, which was 35th percentile in the league.

In the playoffs, he ran the pick-and-roll 22 times, scoring .95 points per possession, which was 75th percentile in the league.

It's a small sample size, but the growth is there. In the advanced reads of CBS system, the corner guys run quick pick-and-roll handoffs with bigs. It adds a new dimension of stress on the defense if Brown can do that with high efficiency. He will likely not get as many opportunities this year with Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Rozier, and Smart.

In fact, Brown could start being the roll man more often, playing the Winslow-Green small ball 4 playmaker role.

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It wouldn’t surprise me if he went into SL trying to be more of a playmaker or work on one on one outside the post. JB strikes me as a guy who enjoys organized play and he probably wants to run more sets with the coaching staff before training camp. Idk

Or he’s just ultra competitive and he wants the C’s to win the SL championship
- LilRip