Author Topic: W. Carter's mom: free Duke education is the equivalent of African slavery  (Read 24049 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Just think about it this way, if all of the athletes who were capable of going pro decided to forgo college the amount of revenue these colleges bring in would drastically decrease.   Probably not right away, as there is a lot of built up interest, but over time the money coming in would evaporate.
no it wouldn’t. Gotta have proof to come up with such a conclusion. The fans will go to games regardless. I’ve never seen duke not have a packed arena. The TV deals are long term fixed deals as well

TV contracts aren't forever and would have to be renegotiated eventually.   No network is going to pay as much for an inferior product. Casual fans will stop paying attention.
the nba age limit is being lowered in 2 years meaning some 5 star players will go straight to the nba. I'd bet your wrong and college basketball continues to grow

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just think about it this way, if all of the athletes who were capable of going pro decided to forgo college the amount of revenue these colleges bring in would drastically decrease.   Probably not right away, as there is a lot of built up interest, but over time the money coming in would evaporate.
no it wouldn’t. Gotta have proof to come up with such a conclusion. The fans will go to games regardless. I’ve never seen duke not have a packed arena. The TV deals are long term fixed deals as well

TV contracts aren't forever and would have to be renegotiated eventually.   No network is going to pay as much for an inferior product. Casual fans will stop paying attention.
the nba age limit is being lowered in 2 years meaning some 5 star players will go straight to the nba. I'd bet your wrong and college basketball continues to grow

I agree. I don’t think that the product will be all that inferior. Basketball was fine before the one and done rule. If anything, it may have hurt the product. That’s why you see teams that have stayed together multiple years like Villanova winning titles.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree. I don’t think that the product will be all that inferior. Basketball was fine before the one and done rule. If anything, it may have hurt the product. That’s why you see teams that have stayed together multiple years like Villanova winning titles.

Well, sure, if nothing is going to change other than the top 5-10 players forgoing college, than I'd agree college basketball will be fine.

But that wasn't what I was saying. What I was saying was that if there was a viable alternative, where kids that had enough talent to possibly play professionally could play and get paid to do so ALL skipped college, the game would suffer. Now we're talking about possibly up to 100 players a year going elsewhere.

That would have a huge impact on the quality of the game and the amount of interest and money pouring in.

As big of a fan of Duke as I am, I actually would much rather see a viable alternative where these kids got paid for their talent. They deserve a lot larger share of the money pouring than some bozo in a suit who sits in some office somewhere. I'm not watching college basketball for some administrator who makes way too much money. I'm watching because I enjoy watching talented basketball players. I'll go where the talent is, if that l talent is no longer in the NCAA, I'll stop watching (and so would most people who are being honest).

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

March Madness pulls in the casual fan year in & year out regardless of who is playing.    Live TV rights are still an insanely valuable commodity so I don't think the college game will be hurt from a monetary standpoint as long as there is competition for the TV rights.   However, there is a question of if/when the rights bubble will burst.    That'll be most likely based on bottom line which may be indirectly impacted by quality of play but there will several factors contributing to that bubble bursting.   

From a quality standpoint, it hasn't been easy on the eyes for years and, no doubt, will remain that way.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Lol so much fake outrage. College athletes aren’t fairly compensated and at the very least should be allowed to own their own likeness. Let her vent.

Let her vent by comparing something that is in no way similar to slavery to actual slavery?

Yeah, no. This woman deserves to be called out.

The ncaa should be called out. Not her. People get distracted by headlines but she is not the villain here.

Your flat out wrong.

She compared something that is nothing like slavery to slavery. That is ignorant and disrespectful.

People cannot be allowed to get away with that kind of behavior. Allowing such idiotic nonsense to become commonplace serves no purpose other than to lower the quality of our society.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Lol so much fake outrage. College athletes aren’t fairly compensated and at the very least should be allowed to own their own likeness. Let her vent.

Let her vent by comparing something that is in no way similar to slavery to actual slavery?

The ncaa should be called out. Not her. People get distracted by headlines but she is not the villain here.

Your flat out wrong.

She compared something that is nothing like slavery to slavery. That is ignorant and disrespectful.

People cannot be allowed to get away with that kind of behavior. Allowing such idiotic nonsense to become commonplace serves no purpose other than to lower the quality of our society.

There's no point discussing with you. You are like Shaq just yelling louder than Barkely and declaring yourself right. Stuff like that makes this place a cesspool. I forgot the reason I almost never post here anymore.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Your flat out wrong.

There's no point discussing with you. You are like Shaq just yelling louder than Barkely and declaring yourself right. Stuff like that makes this place a cesspool. I forgot the reason I almost never post here anymore.

You’re not really making a point, though, other than that words don’t have any meaning.

If we accept that playing college basketball is the equivalent of slavery, that cheapens both our language and our history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Your flat out wrong.

You’re not really making a point, though, other than that words don’t have any meaning.

If we accept that playing college basketball is the equivalent of slavery, that cheapens both our language and our history.
My point is that's it's not a big deal that she compared it to slavery. She is still correct that they should be able to profit on their likeness. She is going to take a lot of criticism because people miss the point. Part of that is her fault because she used hyperbole. Part of that is the media's fault for focusing on the headline. Part of that is the general publics fault for choosing to focus on the headline.

I think most people agree that college athletes should be able to profit on their name. I think most people agree with some of what this woman said. But the NCAA won't give an inch. They are the villains.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
If these kids were smart, they would form a player union and demand negotiations. The players have all the power, they're just choosing not to exercise it.

If the NCAA doesn't give in, go on strike.

I promise you, they will come running back, tail between their legs, and give you whatever you demand.
The schools rely on the revenue these players generate way more than the players do. In fact, considering the players aren't making a single dollar under the current system, their "reliance" on this revenue is practically non-existent as is.

The players can only win.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Your flat out wrong.

My point is that's it's not a big deal that she compared it to slavery. She is still correct that they should be able to profit on their likeness. She is going to take a lot of criticism because people miss the point. Part of that is her fault because she used hyperbole. Part of that is the media's fault for focusing on the headline. Part of that is the general publics fault for choosing to focus on the headline.

I think most people agree that college athletes should be able to profit on their name. I think most people agree with some of what this woman said. But the NCAA won't give an inch. They are the villains.

She could have easily made her point just as well without using the inflammatory and irresponsible language she did. Heck, I actually agree with her point, and have stated so multiple times in this thread.

But actual slavery is so utterly different than what goes on in college athletics. Being a slave entails being a piece of property. You are given no choice, and are often beaten or murdered if you try to escape. No college athletes are being beaten, murdered, or forced to live in unsanitary and humiliating conditions. There is no comparison, and trying to make one is a very big deal.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722

Your flat out wrong.

Have you not noticed ?  Our country has been allowing insane remarks like this since the 70's and these remarks are celebrated as "progressive thinking" and being "culturally sensitive."
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce