Author Topic: Woj: Lakers are not a frontrunner/consideration for any top-tier free agents  (Read 2413 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The real fun is the absolutely delusional Lakers fans in the comments.
This is the Pelicans using Woj as leverage, trying to scare the Lakers into giving up the farm. Dont buy it
I mean we’ll still have an amazing young core
Exactly. People think woj is some kind of God. Dude hasn't left that ESPN chair in years yet he seems to know what every NBA executive is doing before they know what they are doing. Woj also already has all the draft picks in correct order I bet! Trash media.

In another thread Nick said that he thinks Lakers fans are less intelligent than us (paraphrasing). I could not agree more. They're completely deluded.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This is the Pelicans using Woj as leverage, trying to scare the Lakers into giving up the farm. Dont buy it
Exactly. People think woj is some kind of God. Dude hasn't left that ESPN chair in years yet he seems to know what every NBA executive is doing before they know what they are doing. Woj also already has all the draft picks in correct order I bet! Trash media.

In another thread Nick said that he thinks Lakers fans are less intelligent than us (paraphrasing). I could not agree more. They're completely deluded.
And I thought the barrage of illegal trade proposals and refusal to accept the holes in Brad Stevens' coaching philosophy this season was bad.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Once again, Lakers are favorites for a big deal, only they are not.
Which I always knew.
I have seen it 100s of times in my life.
So it turned out that Woj came to my stance.

No, I am not smarter and more informed than him or his colleagues.
Using the empirical methodology I just know, that every guy in the news is connecting great players to NY and LA regardless of the facts, players own preferences or sometimes existing legal groundwork.
And about 94% of the time they are wrong. LBJ is the exception to the rule, the one we basically all knew a year in advance.

So to save you time, when just about every "NY-LA" report comes up, listen to me rather than experts and guys with great connections.
I am not corrupted and they are.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

If we want to be honest that is how big part of the board reacted last summer to every press comment saying that the Celtics may have a problem with so many players demanding/deserving play tiime
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:19:42 AM by ederson »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
well of course they arent.

Lebron is a terrible teammate and starting to show signs of aging
Ball is a nightmare circus who cannot star healthy
Kuzma is OK when given ample opportunity
Ingram may never play again.

Why would anyone want to go there?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If we want to be honest that is how big part of the board reacted last summer to every press comment saying that the Celtics may have a problem with so many players demanding/deserving play tiime
I can't really remember that kind of sentiment going around here. I think there was general faith that players would buy into their role and the system.

I don't think many people reasonably predicted Rozier to be a cancer nor for Brad to mismanage the team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I get that we all hate the Lakers and want to see them suffer, but when you see a quote like this:

“When Colin Cowherd asked me this morning on The Herd what star player the Lakers could realistically sign, I didn’t waste any time saying Jimmy Butler. He likes L.A, LeBron James has been in touch with him and he would join the Lakers in a second if they offered him a max deal.” - Markazi, LA Times

You realize maybe the Lakers fans aren't so delusional - possibly misled, but not delusional. Right now they have the highest odds of acquiring AD and Butler would apparently love to sign there. If we were linked to those two players in the same way, we would be just as excited.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

I can't really remember that kind of sentiment going around here. I think there was general faith that players would buy into their role and the system.

I don't think many people reasonably predicted Rozier to be a cancer nor for Brad to mismanage the team

i guess i wasn't clear

Last summer various sports writers and journalist said that the Celtics could face problems distributing playtime to so many players . All where considered anti-Boston fanatics , on the lakers payroll and things like that by big part of the board . Exactly what lal fans do now

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
What does top tier mean?  Is that just Leonard and Durant?  If that is the case I absolutely believe that.  I'd also believe they aren't a front runner for the tier of free agents below those 2, but it is complete hogwash that they aren't in consideration for any of those other players.  I could absolutely envision scenarios where they sign any of Kyrie, Kemba, Butler, Klay, Cousins, Harris, etc. (and let me be clear envision a scenario doesn't mean they are probable outcomes).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Lakers are so desperate for anyone to come there they are going to overpay for them. They deserve Jimmy Butler. He is a team killer just like Lebron.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Watch Kyrie go there. That would suck.

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Watch Kyrie go there. That would suck.

I think that has a huge possibility of happening.  And if I were the Celtics and I knew he was going, I'd try to help. The Lakers need to shed about $6 million to have 3 max players. 

I'd gladly take Lonzo and maybe a future 1st to help.

I know, I know...people dont like Lonzo's dad and helping the Lakers.

But if it's going to happen regardless,  why not get something for nothing.  It's about gathering assets.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird