Author Topic: Keep Fournier don't go after Lillard  (Read 6286 times)

Re: Keep Fournier don't go after Lillard
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 04:34:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Why would we have to give up Fournier to acquire Lillard?  I always assumed the trade would be something like Brown, Smart, Nesmith, and a bunch of future 1st round picks.  Fournier is then re-signed to play SG.

PG - Lillard, Pritchard, Edwards
SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye
PF - Thompson, Parker, G. Williams
C - Horford, R. Williams, Brown

Use the taxpayer MLE on a wing and then sign a rookie or vet minimum for another wing
If we did that I would absolutely love the Timelord for PJ Washington swap I brought up in another thread. Balances that team out and makes it unstoppable on offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 06:16:12 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Why would we have to give up Fournier to acquire Lillard?  I always assumed the trade would be something like Brown, Smart, Nesmith, and a bunch of future 1st round picks.  Fournier is then re-signed to play SG.

SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye

Use the taxpayer MLE on a wing and then sign a rookie or vet minimum for another wing
Keep Nesmith & trade Langsford instead..sign Bullock… team be top 3 in East
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I’m glad Fournier played well and I want him back.

That said, I’d still prefer Lillard.

I agree 100%

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 09:31:42 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

Depends who we give up.  Fournier only takes money.

I’d prefer Lillard too if he was making $15-20M a year and the C’s didn’t have to give up players to get him. That’s not the the case, though.. Dame is making between $40-50m per season and will be 32 Next year. I also would prefer having larger players like Tatum/ Brown as the #1 and #2 options. Smaller guards get exposed in the postseason.

Steph Curry seems to have done pretty well.  Chris Paul just took his team to the Finals.  Rondo flourished in Boston for years. 

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

I’d prefer Lillard too if he was making $15-20M a year and the C’s didn’t have to give up players to get him. That’s not the the case, though.. Dame is making between $40-50m per season and will be 32 Next year. I also would prefer having larger players like Tatum/ Brown as the #1 and #2 options. Smaller guards get exposed in the postseason.

Lillard is better but is he better than Jaylen and Fournier?

Better then Jaylen absolutely.

Why cant we get Lillard and re-sign Fournier?  We have Fournier's bird rights.  Assuming he wants to come back I was of the impression we can go as far over the cap as we want in order to bring him back if the owners are willing to pay luxury tax. 

If it means moving forward with Lillard, Fournier and Tatum and having a serious shot at a title, I would think they would be willing to do that.  Or do I have my info wrong?

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 10:18:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye

well sure that would be preferred, but why would Portland want Langford instead of Nesmith?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye

well sure that would be preferred, but why would Portland want Langford instead of Nesmith?

Will Portland do better than Brown, even without other pieces?

I think if we offered Brown + Langford + Edwards + #1, that would be ah extremely strong offer.

The question is, is the remaining team good enough to win a title?

Horford / Timelord / Moses / Thompson
Tatum / Parker / Williams
Fournier / Hayes
Smart / Nesmith
Lillard / Pritchard

Ideally we'd be able to pick up an additional rotation player using the TPE, and then still have the Taxpayer's MLE available.  Let's say we grab Kyle Anderson from Memphis by trading Thompson and a top-20 protected #1:

Horford / Timelord / Moses
Anderson / Nesmith / Hayes
Fournier / Smart
Lillard / Pritchard

Sign the best PF who will take the T-MLE.  Olynyk, Millsap, Griffin, Carmelo, Gay.  Sign the best minimum-level guard we can.

Title team?

Under those circumstances, I'd probably trade Brown.  Anything that falls much short of that and I'd probably just build around what we have for now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 11:01:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551

SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye

Will Portland do better than Brown, even without other pieces?

I think if we offered Brown + Langford + Edwards + #1, that would be ah extremely strong offer.

The question is, is the remaining team good enough to win a title?

Horford / Timelord / Moses / Thompson
Fournier / Hayes
Smart / Nesmith
Lillard / Pritchard

Ideally we'd be able to pick up an additional rotation player using the TPE, and then still have the Taxpayer's MLE available.  Let's say we grab Kyle Anderson from Memphis by trading Thompson and a top-20 protected #1:

Horford / Timelord / Moses
Anderson / Nesmith / Hayes
Fournier / Smart
Lillard / Pritchard

Sign the best PF who will take the T-MLE.  Olynyk, Millsap, Griffin, Carmelo, Gay.  Sign the best minimum-level guard we can.

Title team?

Under those circumstances, I'd probably trade Brown.  Anything that falls much short of that and I'd probably just build around what we have for now.
I think there will be some strong offers for Lillard, so yeah I'm not sure Brown alone is enough. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 11:15:14 AM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Seems like the whole crew here believes that building a team consists of the best on paper talent collection. If that is the case, the Nets have things locked up unless Doncic gets two superstars to come to Dallas with him. But I think that team building works better.
Fournier is quoted:  France's Evan Fournier after beating USA Basketball in Tokyo Olympic opener: "They are better individually but they can be beaten as a team."
I don't think Lillard understands that and thinks USA lost because they weren't individualistic enough.
The other factor going after superstars or the high draft picks is that when you trade everything for the one star, and that star gets injured, your team is in trouble.
I hope the Celtics Management takes the San Antonio approach (as it looks like they will) and avoid individualistic superstars and keep building with team players who make those around them better.

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I hope the Celtics Management takes the San Antonio approach (as it looks like they will) and avoid individualistic superstars and keep building with team players who make those around them better.

Does the San Antonio style work without a Tim Duncan?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd rather have Brown and Fournier than give up Brown (and other assets) to get Lillard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441

Steph Curry seems to have done pretty well.  Chris Paul just took his team to the Finals.  Rondo flourished in Boston for years.

Steph is a great player and better than Lillard. With that said, Curry and his Warriors were eliminated from the playoffs this year after losing back to back play-in games vs a hobbled Lakers squad and an inexperienced Grizzlies team. CP3 was not good in the finals at all. Rondo was a 4th wheel. He wasn’t a max contract guy like Lillard is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:14:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 12:24:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Seems like the whole crew here believes that building a team consists of the best on paper talent collection. If that is the case, the Nets have things locked up unless Doncic gets two superstars to come to Dallas with him. But I think that team building works better.
Fournier is quoted:  France's Evan Fournier after beating USA Basketball in Tokyo Olympic opener: "They are better individually but they can be beaten as a team."
I don't think Lillard understands that and thinks USA lost because they weren't individualistic enough.
The other factor going after superstars or the high draft picks is that when you trade everything for the one star, and that star gets injured, your team is in trouble.

No one is beating the Nets if they are healthy. If they had 2 of their 3 stars healthy this postseason, they would have won the championship. 
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

No one is beating the Nets if they are healthy. If they had 2 of their 3 stars healthy this postseason, they would have won the championship.

If we can field Beal-Brown-Tatum and Horford, we can beat them next year ;D

On the thread title though, it’s really weird equating Fournier with Lillard. Can we acquire Lillard by offering Fournier?

- LilRip

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

If we can field Beal-Brown-Tatum and Horford, we can beat them next year ;D

On the thread title though, it’s really weird equating Fournier with Lillard. Can we acquire Lillard by offering Fournier?

I’m thinking that is the plan not for this coming season, but the next. When Beal
Is an UFA.