Author Topic: Simmons or Embiid who would you move?  (Read 10444 times)

Re: Simmons or Embiid who would you move?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
What about Wiggins for Horford + protected pick?

I don't think Wiggins is in GS long range plans.
GS would use Al's skills.
Wiggins would shoot down the stretch. Philly misses Butler.
The Sixers would do that deal in a heartbeat. Horford is one of the worst contracts around the league, plus he's a bad fit next to Embiid. At this stage of his career, Horford ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Imo, he should be playing exclusively at the 5.

I really don't think the Warriors would do that deal.

- I bet they couldn't care less about the pick. I mean, they will be in win-now mode next season. Chances are they'd rather have battle-hardened vets over picks.
- Again, Horford is a terrible contract. They already got a huge payroll. No way they agree to pay 27.5 mil for Horford (at least imo).

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Maybe. Wiggins contract isn't much better. Maybe he could be traded for more than Horford and a pick.
The Warriors can ask for an unprotected pick, or multiple protected picks. Unless Philly trades Embiid, they need to get rid of Horford's contract.

For GS Al could get 26min 10/5/4 with decent defense and 3P shooting. Overpaid, but contributing to winning.
I agree Al's a five from now on.

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What about Wiggins for Horford + protected pick?

I don't think Wiggins is in GS long range plans.
GS would use Al's skills.
Wiggins would shoot down the stretch. Philly misses Butler.
The Sixers would do that deal in a heartbeat. Horford is one of the worst contracts around the league, plus he's a bad fit next to Embiid. At this stage of his career, Horford ain't mobile enough to play D on the perimeter. Imo, he should be playing exclusively at the 5.

I really don't think the Warriors would do that deal.

- I bet they couldn't care less about the pick. I mean, they will be in win-now mode next season. Chances are they'd rather have battle-hardened vets over picks.
- Again, Horford is a terrible contract. They already got a huge payroll. No way they agree to pay 27.5 mil for Horford (at least imo).
Horford is a bad contract, but he earns less than Wiggins does, who is a similarly bad contract.

Doesn't make much sense for either team to that deal salary-wise
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2020, 05:47:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
I enjoy reading the trade ideas, everyone has a different take.  I think Simmons and Embiid are both great players.  Philly knows this too.  They just got swept but Simmons didn't play (obviously).  Tobias Harris and Horford were big disappointments.

My trade is really off the wall:

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

Salaries may require Philly add something too this, maybe Josh Richardson if we include something else (a pick or young player).

My thinking is that you have to give Philly something they really like in order for them to even think about it, that would be Kemba.  And they are going to want to get rid of something too, Horford.  Kemba is a big loss, no doubt but I love Simmons.  Horford is a risk and over paid but so isn't Hayward.

My core team with this is Smart, Brown, Tatum, Simmons, Horford.  It is still kind of positionless ball that everyone seems to like but with much more length with Simmons essentially replacing Kemba.  If we can somehow get Josh Richardson out of this, we can maintain a decent bench.

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2020, 05:50:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I enjoy reading the trade ideas, everyone has a different take.  I think Simmons and Embiid are both great players.  Philly knows this too.  They just got swept but Simmons didn't play (obviously).  Tobias Harris and Horford were big disappointments.

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

Salaries may require Philly add something too this, maybe Josh Richardson if we include something else (a pick or young player).

My thinking is that you have to give Philly something they really like in order for them to even think about it, that would be Kemba.  And they are going to want to get rid of something too, Horford.  Kemba is a big loss, no doubt but I love Simmons.  Horford is a risk and over paid but so isn't Hayward.

My core team with this is Smart, Brown, Tatum, Simmons, Horford.  It is still kind of positionless ball that everyone seems to like but with much more length with Simmons essentially replacing Kemba.  If we can somehow get Josh Richardson out of this, we can maintain a decent bench.
This would be a heartbreaking deal for me. Hayward is considerably better than Horford at this stage, and IMO Kemba & Simmons is a wash
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2020, 08:19:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Horford is a bad contract, but he earns less than Wiggins does, who is a similarly bad contract.

Doesn't make much sense for either team to that deal salary-wise
If you ask me, Horford's contract is way worse. I mean, Horford sucked big time in our playoff series. Don't think he's washed up, but he ain't the player he used to be either. At least Wiggins is in his prime. Right now, imo Wiggins > Horford.

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

Horford's contract would be hard to swallow, but I would do that deal.

Salary-wise it's a valid trade. No need to add JRich.

https://tradenba.com/trades/VO5e6Kz1I

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

Horford's contract would be hard to swallow, but I would do that deal.

Salary-wise it's a valid trade. No need to add JRich.

https://tradenba.com/trades/VO5e6Kz1I

Your trade check is based on the 20/21 season which is good.  I couldn't get this result when I ran it, it ran it based on 2019/20.  Philly ends up with $12M or so added salary if something else isn't added.  Even if it works, Philly might want to send something more back just to manage Cap.  If not, we end up with a $12M trade exemption which would be great.

I don't love taking back Horford but to make a trade work, you can't expect to get everything your way.  I think we can get a few years of relatively productive play from Horford and it will be some improvement over Theis and Kantor.

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would look to trade Embiid for Beal or Booker (both coming along with a draft pick)

Move Hortford to C and Simmons to F (along with Harris) 

Start a back court of Richardson and Beal/Booker

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
I would look to trade Embiid for Beal or Booker (both coming along with a draft pick)

phoenix wouldn't do that

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

phoenix wouldn't do that

Maybe, maybe not.   Would anything Phoenix did surprise you?   

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3013
  • On To Banner 18!
Regardless how you feel about Simmons and some of his deficiencies, I think this Sixers team would function very well playing a more fast-paced game with a lot of transition. Basically, Simmons as the "QB", surrounded by a bunch of shooters, legit 3-and-D players and decent bigs (preferably more defensive-minded). And keep in mind Simmons is already a great defender and can only get better so he'll help defend other teams' elite guards.

I think if you could trade Embiid in some sort of package for someone like Beal or one of Portland's guards, that'd help. Now there's probably not much hope for Horford and Harris going forward, but you still might have to persist with them and hope maybe they can bounceback. Now that Embiid's gone in this scenario, maybe Horford can play more of his style on the team. Harris' contract is terrible but the Sixers and their fans love him. Things could open up and maybe he can do well next season if he can simply focus on scoring.

Sometimes I think when Embiid's out there, the pace of the game slowed for the Sixers even when Simmons was on the court. That's not their style. The 2018 style with Simmons running the show and perimeter guys like Reddick, Belinelli, etc. seemed to work well. Of course having a star and proven playoff performer like Butler like in 2019 would help immensely.

Long story short, in my scenario above you'd go into next season with something like:

Simmons/Milton/Burks
(1 of Lillard, CJ or Beal)/Richardson/Thybulle/Korkmaz
Harris/Richardson/Robinson(?)
Free Agent/Scott/Harris
Horford/O'Quinn/Scott/Pelle

And of course you could factor in a draft pick addition. I'll admit, that team could be fun to watch. They did mention over the season that Horford seemed uncomfortable with his role. Now with Embiid out he could play his style more at the 5. They'd probably want to add a FA big somehow as well. Bench might still be thin but that's a great starting lineup if it can mesh well, and guys like Milton, Thybulle continue to improve.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

I'm not sure I've got the heart to see this trade happen either, but it really does make some sense for both sides. Both teams would be better.

The one problem is that the Cs would have too much salary tied up when Tatum signs his max with Brown, Simmons, Smart, and Horford's contract. As much as it'd be nice to have Horford, we could only keep him for one year until Tatum's new contract kicked in. At that point, it would be pretty tough to move him without taking salary back.

I mean, Ben Simmons in CBS offense and defense would be spectacular. Simmons-Brown-Tatum would be the best trio in the NBA. The Cs would have a top 3 offense and defense. There would be no weak point on the court.

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I'm not sure I've got the heart to see this trade happen either, but it really does make some sense for both sides. Both teams would be better.

The one problem is that the Cs would have too much salary tied up when Tatum signs his max with Brown, Simmons, Smart, and Horford's contract. As much as it'd be nice to have Horford, we could only keep him for one year until Tatum's new contract kicked in. At that point, it would be pretty tough to move him without taking salary back.

I mean, Ben Simmons in CBS offense and defense would be spectacular. Simmons-Brown-Tatum would be the best trio in the NBA. The Cs would have a top 3 offense and defense. There would be no weak point on the court.

Good point.  Yes, Hayward's contract lines up better.

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 01:37:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Simmons and Horford
for
Walker and Hayward

Who is your big? You will be undersized again having spent your money on three wings. The ultimate small ball lineup. You cannot keeo spending all your money on wings. Get some bigs in there.

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Who is your big? You will be undersized again having spent your money on three wings. The ultimate small ball lineup. You cannot keeo spending all your money on wings. Get some bigs in there.

PG: Smart - (draft pick) - Wanamaker
SG: Brown - Langford - Edwards
SF: Tatum - (draft pick) - Semi
PF: Simmons - Grant - (draft pick)
C: Horford - Theis - Timelord

- Dump Poirier. Worst case scenario, just cut him. We'd be saving ~12 mil in salary with this trade anyway.
- Trade Kanter for future pick(s) + cap relief (assuming he opts in).
- Cut Green. No cap hit for the C's, cause he has a non-guaranteed contract for next season.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:39:48 PM by Jvalin »