Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Finals: Cleveland(3) vs Atlanta(4)  (Read 104273 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern Finals: Cleveland(3) vs Atlanta(4)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Not premiere PG. Premiere *tiny* PG. Lawson and Nelson are two of the best distributors for guys who would need to sit on phone books in order to drive the team bus.

Well, there's still quite a distinction to be made there. Lawson - now slowly making his way out of underratedness - has been ranked in the top 10 PGs in the league. Nelson's a bottom-10 starting PG in this league.

They are both tiny, but that doesn't mean they're comparable.

Sure they are. They actually match up quite well! Here's their head-to-head in the latest season. Keep in mind that Nelson was basically playing with scrubs while Lawson piloted a playoff team:

Jameer when Ty was on the court (62 minutes total, stats are split into per-36 stats):

15.7 ppg, 44% FG, 29% from 3, 2.9 rpg, 7.5 apg

Ty when Jameer was on the court (62 minutes total, stats are split into per-36 stats):

16.3 ppg, 40% FG, 33% from 3, 2.9 rpg, 8.1 apg

So, when Lawson faced Jameer, he scored less, shot worse, but had more assists than his seasonal averages. When Jameer faced Lawson, he scored more, shot better, and had fewer assists than his season average. Again, that's 2012-2013.

You can say that's a small sample size (it is), but you can't say they aren't comparable.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just a hunch here, but whatever edge Lawson has over Nelson/Lin could very likely be mitigated by Gerald Henderson.  I think he could defend Lawson pretty well, and due to Pierce/Wade being able to run the offense themselves, not cost Atl on that side of the ball.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Not premiere PG. Premiere *tiny* PG. Lawson and Nelson are two of the best distributors for guys who would need to sit on phone books in order to drive the team bus.

Well, there's still quite a distinction to be made there. Lawson - now slowly making his way out of underratedness - has been ranked in the top 10 PGs in the league. Nelson's a bottom-10 starting PG in this league.

Sure they are. They actually match up quite well! Here's their head-to-head in the latest season. Keep in mind that Nelson was basically playing with scrubs while Lawson piloted a playoff team:

Jameer when Ty was on the court (62 minutes total, stats are split into per-36 stats):

Ty when Jameer was on the court (62 minutes total, stats are split into per-36 stats):

So, when Lawson faced Jameer, he scored less, shot worse, but had more assists than his seasonal averages. When Jameer faced Lawson, he scored more, shot better, and had fewer assists than his season average. Again, that's 2012-2013.

You can say that's a small sample size (it is), but you can't say they aren't comparable.

I dont understand when Lawson become such an All Star in the eyes on the board. He really isnt all that good at commanding a squad, especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
as of now, leaning towards the cavs.  I like their core and experience

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I think he could defend Lawson pretty well, and due to Pierce/Wade being able to run the offense themselves, not cost Atl on that side of the ball.

I love pierce to death, but we saw him average over 5 turnovers in the playoffs last season when he was forced to run the offense in rondo's absence.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Yes, but I did say Pierce AND Wade.  I just don't see how Cleveland can legitimately contain those two, as a pairing.

Ultimately, I just see Atlanta's superior guards/wings being able to swing the series in their favor.  It's close though, probably 7 games, with a few quite possibly going to OT.

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Just a hunch here, but whatever edge Lawson has over Nelson/Lin could very likely be mitigated by Gerald Henderson.  I think he could defend Lawson pretty well, and due to Pierce/Wade being able to run the offense themselves, not cost Atl on that side of the ball.

Can Gerald Henderson defend point guards?

Can G.Henderson defend PGs as quick as Ty Lawson? With Ty Lawson's combination of explosive first step, overall speed, jump-shooting and dribble drive skills?

I think G.Henderson is probably quick enough and athletic enough to defend many PGs but I am struggling to think of any times I have seen him used defensively like that + Ty Lawson is a pretty extreme guy to defend with his speed and quickness.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
i had to vote a little early.  i went with CLE

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 04:31:32 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I dont understand when Lawson become such an All Star in the eyes on the board. He really isnt all that good at commanding a squad, especially in the playoffs.

So averaging 22 points and 8 assists isn't a good playoff performance?

If Ty Lawson was on the Celtics, the perception of him would be much different from some people.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If Ty Lawson was on the Celtics, the perception of him would be much different from some people.

Yeah but if Ted Bundy was on the Celtics the perception of him would be much different from some people.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Yeah but if Ted Bundy was on the Celtics the perception of him would be much different from some people.

You mean this guy?

Yup...God-like

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Lawson averaged 22 and 8 on a team with a first round exit missing their best offensive player in Gallo. The stat sheet might look deceivingly appealing, but no, I dont think he had a good playoff performance based on how he didnt step up to lead his team.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Atlanta.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »

fitzhickey

Voted for Cleveland
Just can't see them losing

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wow....absolutely nothing happening in these threads today.