Author Topic: Nets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 12/18/20  (Read 39873 times)

Nets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 12/18/20
« on: December 16, 2020, 10:35:38 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Brooklyn Nets (1-0) at Boston Celtics (0-1)
Friday, December 18, 2020
8:00 PM ET
Pre Season Game #2 Home Game #1
TV:  ESPN 2, NBCSB,  YES
Radio: WBZ-FM
TD Garden

Possible Celtics Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Jeff Teague
SG:  Marcus Smart
SF:  Jaylen Brown
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Robert Williams

Celtics Reserves
Carsen Edwards
Tacko Fall  (2 Way)
Javonte Green
Amile Jefferson
Aaron Nesmith
Semi Ojeleye
Tremont Waters (2 Way)
Grant Williams

Injuries
Romeo Langford (wrist) out
Tristan Thompson (hamstring) out
Kemba Walker (knee) out
Daniel Theis (back) day to day

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Possible Nets Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG:  Kyrie Irving
SG:  Spencer Dinwiddie
SF:  Joe Harris
PF:   Kevin Durant
C:   DeAndre Jordan

Nets Reserves
Taurean Prince
Jarrett Allen
Landry Shamet
Jeff Green
Reggie Perry
Timothe-Luwawu-Cabarrot
Tyler Johnson
Chris Chiozza
Rodions Kurucs
Bruce Brown
Nicolas Claxton
Caris LeVert
Jeremiah Martin
Elie Okobo
Kaiser Gates

Injuries
Nicolas Claxton (knee) out
Caris LeVert (knee) day to day

Head Coach
Steve Nash

Game Notes
The Nets will visit the TD Garden for the Celtics second and final preseason game.  The Nets are also playing their second preseason game.  The question that will be on everyone's mind is whether or not Kyrie Irving will play.  He has made an art of not playing in Boston or in Cleveland.  But with no fans in the arena I'm guessing he will finally play in this game. 

The Nets won their first game 119-114 against the Wizards.  They last played on Sunday and so have had plenty of time to work on any weaknesses they saw in their first game. They are fairly deep and they have Kyrie and KD but they also have a brand new first time coach and several new players to work into the rotation. 

Both teams limited their starters in the first game and gave their reserves and young players plenty of time to show what they could do.  The Nets stars played well in their first game coming back from injuries.  Kyrie Irving scored 18 points in just 17 minutes.  Kevin Durant scored 15 points in 23 minutes.

The Celtics' stars struggled in their first game.  Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum shot 1-11 and 4-13 respectively.  In spite of the loss, there were some bright spots.  Javonte Green started and played well.  And Jeff Teague and Payton Pritchard both impressed in their time on the court. 

I have listed the same starters that started on Tuesday with Marcus Smart at the point and Javonte Green starting at the two.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Teague or Payton Prichard start in this game, however.  I've also listed the same Nets' starters from Sunday's game.  If LeVert can play,  he may go back to starting at shooting guard with Dinwiddie coming off the bench. 

The Celtics are struggling with injuries in camp with Tristan Thompson (hamstring), Kemba Walker (knee) and Romeo Langford (wrist) all missing the entire training camp.  All 3 are expected to miss this game also.  Daniel Theis missed Tuesday's game with back tightness and will likely be a game time decision for this game. 

For the Nets, Nicolas Claxton (knee) is expected to miss the entire training camp with tendonitis in his knee.  Caris LeVert missed Sunday's game with a knee bruise.  He is not on the injury list for this game but it is possible that he will be out.  Steve Nash has said that LeVert is a starting quality player but doesn't know if he will put him back into the starting lineup. 

Key Matchups
vs
Marcus Smart vs Kyrie Irving
This may or may not be the starting point guard matchup.  Marcus may start again, or Teague or Pritchard may get the call.  Also, there is always the chance that even without any fans, Kyrie may decide not to play in Boston.  Kyrie played very well in his first game, scoring 18 points to go with 1 rebound, 4 assists, and 1 steal in just 17 minutes.  Marcus would love the chance to keep him from having a big game in this one. 

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Kevin Durant
Tatum struggled in his first game but hopefully will snap back and have a good game in this one.  Durant had 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks in his first game and, even though he may be a little rusty, he is still one of the best players in the league. 

Keys to the Game

Rotation - In the preseason, winning and losing isn't really important.  Finding the right rotation and best pairings that work well together is important.  We will likely see some odd lineups as Brad looks at players and lineups to see which ones play together the best. 

Young Guys and New Guys - With only 2 preseason games, this will be the only time that Brad can watch the rookies, second year players and new guys against NBA competition.   It will also be their chance to impress the coach and earn a spot in the rotation.

No Injuries
- The Celtics are already dealing with several key injuries to rotation players.  They need to finish the game without adding to the injury list.   

X-Factors
Home Court - Ordinarily I would say that the fact that the Celtics are at home would be an x-factor.  The crowd at the Garden is always a great home advantage but with no fans, I'm not sure how much of an advantage being at home will be other than the fact that they get to sleep and eat at home and are more familiar with the arenas. 

Pride - Both Jaylen and Jayson signed big contracts and then struggled in their first preseason game.  Hopefully their pride will spur them on to a much better game in this one and that means that the Celtics would play much better.  Their play and leadership will determine how far the Celtics go this season.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:41:27 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Nets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 12/18/20
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Let's go Celtics!!

I'm hoping for some smoother basketball in this game, and a lot more Pritchard and Nesmith.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to hpantazo   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!  Beat the Nets!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Did Kyrie cancel the trip for this game? Or since there are no fans, no biggie for return? Asking for a friend  :-X

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP  for another great game thread FL

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I’m looking forward to seeing the Nets play.  I don’t care about the result of this game, but I’m looking forward to kicking the crap out of them this season.  I want to see Smart beat the hell out of Kyrie on the court and Tatum outplay Durant.  Leave them in our dust in the standings.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 11:17:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
TP TO FLCF FOR ANOTHER GREAT GAME THREAD

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICS BEAT THE Nets!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 11:29:42 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151
Lets Go Celtics!!!              :)             Beat the Nets, nets, nets, nets......... nets, nets, nets.......

TP...       FLCF...   

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Let's go Celtics! Beat Kryknee! >:(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 11:42:33 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Let's go Cs.  Thanks FLCeltsFan.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 01:48:27 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Looking to see Tatum and Brown both run the offense a bit more than last game. Would love to see Brown make it all the way to the hoop when he’s driving and Tatum to be efficient with his scoring.

We go as far as those two can take us this season, so that’s where my attention will be! Plus Payton obviously... 😂

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 08:14:01 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
What a great game, on-paper!

Hopefully Brown doesn’t press too hard and lets the game come to him. C’s played with effort but were very rusty last game
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:36:40 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Let's go Celtics! Beat Kryknee! >:(

tp....phunnknee
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:48:34 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
ok....here is chance to eyeball Tatum s real height .   Vs KD who we know is a solid 7ft er.   

see how they size up.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
ok....here is chance to eyeball Tatum s real height .   Vs KD who we know is a solid 7ft er.   

see how they size up.

Tatum is still 6’8”.  The 6’10” reference by Stevens was just hyperbole.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/brad-stevens-comes-clean-about-how-jayson-tatum-height-drama-started