Author Topic: Projected top-10 pick skipping college for G-League  (Read 16310 times)

Projected top-10 pick skipping college for G-League
« on: March 29, 2018, 09:24:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/first-high-school-g-league-prospect-im-aware-might-start-trend-194136804.html

Thought this was super interesting.

Darius Bazley had committed to Syracuse, but now has decided he'd rather get paid (at least legally) in the G-League.

Max G-League salary is $26k (plus room and board), though he wouldn't be held back by the NCAA and can go get endorsements.  Got to wonder what Nike or whoever is willing to pay a potential top 10 pick.  Maybe 50k or 100k?  Adidas was allegedly willing to pay at least $100k for Brian Bowen who is projected to be either a mid-to-late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Also had this quote:
“I’m aware that this might start a trend and that’s one of the reasons why I am doing this,” Bazley told Yahoo Sports. “I’m outspoken and I like to speak on things. This is me speaking through my actions, speaking through my character. This is going to happen down the road and become more common. But someone has to start the fire — and I believe I’m going to do that, and it’s very important to me.

While it's super interesting, probably too late to become much of a trend, since a lot of people think the NBA is going to eliminate the one-and-done rule soon.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Projected top-10 pick skipping college for G-League
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
[dang], didn't see that happening. Wonder if any others will follow
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Even more incentive to kill the one and done rule. NBA GMs won't like the idea of top players going to the G-League without any one team having control over them, as player development does matter. Teams may be okay with lesser players doing this, but they will want to get their hands on the best prospects as soon as possible.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Is g league salary Set? Or can the parent club pay a team member what it wishes? The implications of that are clear.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 07:24:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Is g league salary Set? Or can the parent club pay a team member what it wishes? The implications of that are clear.
Fixed pay scale, see above.  The parent club does not pay g-leaguers,  I think they are paid by the g-league, not even the individual clubs.  The only thing the parent club has is a right to sign them to an NBA contract, or pay them on a 2-way player basis.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Most important thing that needs to be proved by this experiment is how well the develop his skills in one year.  If they do a good job, then everything else will come.   Money and exposure for future guys.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Fixed pay scale, see above.  The parent club does not pay g-leaguers,  I think they are paid by the g-league, not even the individual clubs.  The only thing the parent club has is a right to sign them to an NBA contract, or pay them on a 2-way player basis.
thanks for the info and a tp to repay the good research. hmmmm...i wonder if the same is true for "bonuses"?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
thanks for the info and a tp to repay the good research. hmmmm...i wonder if the same is true for "bonuses"?

Problem is the parent team CAN'T sign a first-year player to a 2-way contract, as the player hasn't been drafted yet.

Right now you still gotta declare - for example Daniel Theis declared back in 2013.

So the best G-league teams can offer is the $26K + room and board. Not exactly massive money.

But getting to live in Portland ME for free would be pretty sweet by itself, I would get fat with all the excellent restaurants around. And apparently G-league teams are putting emphasis on developing life skills in players. This could help offset the lack of college experience - and honestly do we want young people being taught by the likes of Rick Pitino anyways?

I'd rather have my kid in Portland.

There have been rumors of the league increasing salaries to double what they are now. They should do it. Keep these kids out of the NCAA and all the unsavory elements that come with college sports.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Problem is the parent team CAN'T sign a first-year player to a 2-way contract, as the player hasn't been drafted yet.

Right now you still gotta declare - for example Daniel Theis declared back in 2013.

So the best G-league teams can offer is the $26K + room and board. Not exactly massive money.

But getting to live in Portland ME for free would be pretty sweet by itself, I would get fat with all the excellent restaurants around. And apparently G-league teams are putting emphasis on developing life skills in players. This could help offset the lack of college experience - and honestly do we want young people being taught by the likes of Rick Pitino anyways?

There have been rumors of the league increasing salaries to double what they are now. They should do it. Keep these kids out of the NCAA and all the unsavory elements that come with college sports.

At age 18-20 that's pretty sweet for doing something you love and might make a whole lot more in a short period of time.

Heck if I was 18 I'd do the samething if I had 0 interest in going to college classes. Wait I did joined the Army for probably same pay and perks :D
ok fine

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

Just moved to the Portland area. I love it. I'm torn because when I'm not in ME, I'm attending Syracuse and was really hoping to watch this kid firsthand. Guess I'll just have to go to a Red Claws game (if he goes to the Red Claws).
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier