Author Topic: Olympic Basketball  (Read 51220 times)

Re: Olympic Basketball
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This team has no real inside game and the Dream Team would have taken them 75 of 100 games. Awful game on their part on both sides of the ball and Lithuania played great except for the turnovers.  They outcoached us too.  Better to happen now then against Spain.  Doc was great behind the microphone after the game as usual.

I can't root against my country, though if Wade were here I'd be sorely tempted.

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
This team has no real inside game and the Dream Team would have taken them 75 of 100 games. Awful game on their part on both sides of the ball and Lithuania played great except for the turnovers.  They outcoached us too.  Better to happen now then against Spain.  Doc was great behind the microphone after the game as usual.

I can't root against my country, though if Wade were here I'd be sorely tempted.

LOL I know, I want them to win it for sure, but when I was watching, I almost forgot and started urging LTU on... then I remembered, it's USA lol!!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Russia beats Spain. I was amazed.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
If Spain can hold down the turnovers, pound the ball inside, and hit the three, they can give the Scheme Team a run for their money. 

Lithuania actually outscored the US for the final three quarters.  With a little better ball protection, and a better first quarter, they could have pulled off the upset. 

Watching the Scheme Team on the podium waiting with their bronze medals around their necks will be a great moment for me. 

I can and do root against my country.  These aren't plucky quasi-amateurs who have to work at the local burger shack in order to afford to train for our Olympic team.  They're some of the most unlikable NBA stars (Kobe, LeBron, Melo, CP3) showing the world how flawed the American style of basketball has become. 

Unfortunately, due to the extreme pressure the US ath-a-letes and put on defensively, and the lack of talented PGs who can handle the pressure, the US is probably going to win the gold again. 

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hey Kobe, you still think you could beat Larry, Magic, Mike and the rest of them?
Silly. Silly, silly Bean.

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »

Offline ewp

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Hey Kobe, you still think you could beat Larry, Magic, Mike and the rest of them?
Silly. Silly, silly Bean.

I bet they are glad they ran up the score in their last game to keep their average margin of victory competitive with the '92 team.

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Kobe's been the worst player for America in the Olympics.  Bad defense and bad offense that looks worse because he insists on taking difficult, iso shots that look out of place with what his teammates are doing. 

It's been a blast!

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:12 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Kobe's been the worst player for America in the Olympics.  Bad defense and bad offense that looks worse because he insists on taking difficult, iso shots that look out of place with what his teammates are doing. 

It's been a blast!
I hope his performance carry on into the regular season.

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ok, I laughed at this - Carmelo got cheapshotted in the crotch by an Argentinian last night (that's not the funny part, at least for me).  Here's his quote:

The play happened in front of the U.S. bench, and Anthony's teammates were irate as the New York Knicks All-Star fell to the court in pain after making the shot. Anthony says they were angry because nothing similar would happen in their league.

Anthony says "nobody takes cheap shots like that" in the NBA and that Campazzo's blow was "uncalled for."

Well, almost nobody, Melo.

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Chris Paul, Reggie Evans, Ron Artest, and many other are also amused.

Plenty of people will go after your nuts in the NBA.

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

https://www.google.com/doodles/basketball-2012

Quite simple but pretty addictive. My high score is 39.

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Ok, I laughed at this - Carmelo got cheapshotted in the crotch by an Argentinian last night (that's not the funny part, at least for me).  Here's his quote:

The play happened in front of the U.S. bench, and Anthony's teammates were irate as the New York Knicks All-Star fell to the court in pain after making the shot. Anthony says they were angry because nothing similar would happen in their league.

Anthony says "nobody takes cheap shots like that" in the NBA and that Campazzo's blow was "uncalled for."

Well, almost nobody, Melo.

The only difference is that the snitchster can't snitch in the United States. 

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
If Spain can hold down the turnovers, pound the ball inside, and hit the three, they can give the Scheme Team a run for their money. 

Lithuania actually outscored the US for the final three quarters.  With a little better ball protection, and a better first quarter, they could have pulled off the upset. 

Watching the Scheme Team on the podium waiting with their bronze medals around their necks will be a great moment for me. 

I can and do root against my country.  These aren't plucky quasi-amateurs who have to work at the local burger shack in order to afford to train for our Olympic team.  They're some of the most unlikable NBA stars (Kobe, LeBron, Melo, CP3) showing the world how flawed the American style of basketball has become. 

Unfortunately, due to the extreme pressure the US ath-a-letes and put on defensively, and the lack of talented PGs who can handle the pressure, the US is probably going to win the gold again.

Hate to break the news to you, but plenty of Americans in the Olympics aren't exactly "plucky amateurs working at burger joints".  Plenty are from wealthy families and some are from sports where being wealthy gives a huge training and competitive advantage.

Not many poor families and working class kids can afford equipment to sail competitively or engage in equestrian, for instance.  I'd also think that canoeing is more prevalent in wealthier areas.  Isn't a member of the royal family in the equestrian competition?  I worked at the local burger shack when I was a kid.  Trust me, it won't buy you a canoe, a horse, or sailing equipment.

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Bogut playing in these Olympics?

Patty Mills and Bogut. Do Australia have any other NBA names?

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Is Bogut playing in these Olympics?

Patty Mills and Bogut. Do Australia have any other NBA names?

Patrick is the only one in the NBA, no Bogut.