Author Topic: A Stupid Idea that I like: Atlanta  (Read 3420 times)

A Stupid Idea that I like: Atlanta
« on: June 26, 2023, 12:12:12 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Trade Brogdon, Pritchard to Atlanta for Bogdanovic, Jalen Johnson, Saddiq Bey.

Why for Atlanta? Add sixth man of the year/veteran/homecoming guy to their guard rotation. Also rumors they will try to move Murray. ATL knows how to play with a defensive liability PG already. Pritchard might be a bench option for them.

Why for Boston? Something clicked with Jalen Johnson at the tail of Atlanta's season (me completely speculating). He and Bey can compete for the needed extra wing. I like him as an extra ball handler/defender. I think Johnson is going to showcase much improved defense next year (much improved everything). Bey can add depth at forward as well. Probably take Griffin's role in addition to any he can earn as a wing. Bogdanovic replaces Brogdon's 3pt shooting and adds some more movement off-ball.

I don't see a guy available who can add the ancillary playmaking/size that the Celtics need in another big guard/wing. But if they can get a decent ball threat who plays solid defense with size and better their off-ball movement while maintaining 3pt options, then I think the team would see a net benefit.

I have no idea what anyone who actually knows what they're talking about would think of this idea. But there it is.

Re: A Stupid Idea that I like: Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 12:29:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Couple of things I don't like about this trade.  Bogdanovic has 4 years left on his contract.  I don't think he is that good that we want to commit 4 years at pretty good money to him.  Also, we lose 2 players that can play point or primary ball handler, in exchange for 3 wings (I guess Jalen Johnson is a wing, not sure).  Anyway, I think this would upset our roster balance.

Aside from that, I still really like Brogdon and his role on the team.  I am not looking to trade him.  I don't see enough here to make it worth giving him up.  Just seems like no need or reason to do this trade.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Something clicked with Jalen Johnson at the tail of Atlanta's season (me completely speculating). He and Bey can compete for the needed extra wing. I like him as an extra ball handler/defender. I think Johnson is going to showcase much improved defense next year (much improved everything).

That is interesting. I have been unimpressed with Jalen Johnson and was unimpressed with him again in our playoff series against ATL. Be interesting to see how he does next season. It would be great for ATL if they could get something out of him.

I am not convinced by him to value him in a trade package but I look forward to seeing if I am wrong about that next season (along with whatever else I am wrong about).

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I was curious what Jalen Johnson's college numbers were like. I did not pay attention to him at draft time.

So he went to Duke but he only played 13 games. I presume because of injury. He only played 21mpg. So not big minutes. Moderate playing time. Rotation guy rather than star. 11ppg and 6rpg is good production in those minutes.

52% FG% and 44% from three. Then you see that 44% from 3 came on only 18 attempts (8-18 3PT). So small sample. One more made 3 takes him to 50%, one missed to 38%. You look at his FT% and it was only 63% which is a bad sign for a quality shooter. Most quality outside shooters shoot well from the FT line so maybe his struggles from 3 in the NBA were more predictable.

I see this as his main problem in the NBA. He just can't make enough jump-shots to stay on the floor. He shot 34% on jump-shots this season. About 180 of them but just under 120 were 3s which he shot 29% on which gives him an eFG% of 43%. Better but still lousy.

He is an active athlete but if he can't make enough shots to stay on the floor, what use is he?

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 12:53:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like the value coming back, but who plays backup PG for us?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 01:30:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I am not keen on the trade.

Brogdon is the best player in the deal and the best player by a considerable margin. He is a good starting caliber PG or SG.

I view Bogdanovic as a bench player. He is very good offensively but almost as bad defensively. He can't defend well enough to be a starter. He is getting older and slower. The problems with him are only going to get worse. He already gives up defensively about as many as he gets you on the other end (offense).

S Bey is more interesting than Bogandovic but I am not that high on him either. I have a lower opinion on him than most others. I felt he was getting playing time, shot attempts and point totals in DET that he wouldn't get on the majority of playoff teams. DET was a terrible team were he was padding his stats. On a playoff team, his role would be reduced. His time in ATL did nothing to shake that suspicion.

He has a moderate offensive game and is a serviceable defender. I am not sure he is even a good defender. I was unimpressed with his D in ATL. It should have been easy for him to get big playing time in ATL given how flawed their other wings were but he was unable to do so. That is red flag for me. 

I talked about Jalen Johnson above. I am not convinced by him as a rotation player, even an NBA player period. He can't shoot well enough to stay on the court. He is hanging on with the promise of potential. If that promise is not fulfilled soon, he could find himself out of the league in the near future. I am not optimistic about his future.

So I value Brogdon much higher than I value these three pieces from Atlanta.

Also, I'd want to keep Pritchard to be our new backup PG if Brogdon were to leave. Pritchard is not a great backup PG option but a solid one and one I am happy to roll with.

Interesting idea though. I am open to trading Brogdon. And even trading him for multiple lesser pieces but I do not like these individual players. I would want to see better defender type guys who will do well in low usage roles next to our 3 big scorers.

I think a lot of these guys in Atlanta are overvalued.

- Dejounte Murray (closer to Brogdon than legit star)
- Bufkin (tweener guard)
- D Hunter (bench player masquerading as a starter)
- J Collins (low level star but only in right situation)
- C Capela (slowing down)
- Okongwu (too small, career backup?)
- Bogdanovic (old, bad D)
- Bey (mediocre all-round game)
- J Johnson (can't shoot)

I don't see Atlanta as good place to go shopping for talent. I very rarely see a trade where I see us coming better off out of a trade with them. Too many overvalued pieces.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 01:30:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Couple of things I don't like about this trade.  Bogdanovic has 4 years left on his contract.  I don't think he is that good that we want to commit 4 years at pretty good money to him.  Also, we lose 2 players that can play point or primary ball handler, in exchange for 3 wings (I guess Jalen Johnson is a wing, not sure).  Anyway, I think this would upset our roster balance.

Aside from that, I still really like Brogdon and his role on the team.  I am not looking to trade him.  I don't see enough here to make it worth giving him up.  Just seems like no need or reason to do this trade.

That four years stuck out to me too. I figure it can either end up being a benefit or a drag. I think Bogdan just gives something that Boston doesn't have elsewhere (and I think they need). And I'm irrationally believing in Johnson based on some things that caught my eye at the end of the year. He's been a disappointment to this point in his career, but it takes guys a few years to figure it out and he's got the tools. Bey is just a solid guy that you can probably fit as needed.

If "being stuck" with Brogdon is the alternative, it's not a bad position to be in. I just think we can aggregate a net improvement by moving him and even though he's got the injury, this off-season might be the time to sell relatively high (compared with next off-season).

If Bey were to take Grant's role, could Grant be used to find a bench PG? Obviously I'm hoping Davison is at least 3rd string material.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 01:32:05 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I am not keen on the trade. Brogdon is the best player in the deal and the best player by a considerable margin. He is a good starting caliber PG or SG.

I view Bogdanovic as a bench player. He is very good offensively but almost as bad defensively. He can't defend well enough to be a starter. He is getting older and slower. The problems with him are only going to get worse. He already gives up defensively about as many as he gets you on the other end (offense).

S Bey is more interesting than Bogandovic but I am not that high on him either. I have a lower opinion on him than most others. I felt he was getting playing time, shot attempts and point totals in DET that he wouldn't get on the majority of playoff teams. DET was a terrible team were he was padding his stats. On a playoff team, his role would be reduced. His time in ATL did nothing to shake that suspicion.

He has a moderate offensive game and is a serviceable defender. I am not sure he is even a good defender. I was unimpressed with his D in ATL. It should have been easy for him to get big playing time in ATL given how flawed their other wings were but he was unable to do so. That is red flag for me. 

I talked about Jalen Johnson above. I am not convinced by him as a rotation player, even an NBA player period. He can't shoot well enough to stay on the court. He is hanging on with the promise of potential. If that promise is not fulfilled soon, he could find himself out of the league in the near future. I am not optimistic about his future.

Also, I'd want to keep Pritchard to be our new backup PG if Brogdon were to leave. Pritchard is not a great backup PG option but a solid one and one I am happy to roll with.

Bogdan is 30. Are you think of Bojan?

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Something clicked with Jalen Johnson at the tail of Atlanta's season (me completely speculating). He and Bey can compete for the needed extra wing. I like him as an extra ball handler/defender. I think Johnson is going to showcase much improved defense next year (much improved everything).

That is interesting. I have been unimpressed with Jalen Johnson and was unimpressed with him again in our playoff series against ATL. Be interesting to see how he does next season. It would be great for ATL if they could get something out of him.

I am not convinced by him to value him in a trade package but I look forward to seeing if I am wrong about that next season (along with whatever else I am wrong about).
I was a big Jalen Johnson fan coming out. It's hard to say something "clicked" for him at the end of the season, if his 6 game stretch prior to the playoffs is what is being referenced. But I think he has the tools - long, athletic, good passer and defender. Just needs to work on his shooting, a lot.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 07:47:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I am not keen on the trade. Brogdon is the best player in the deal and the best player by a considerable margin. He is a good starting caliber PG or SG.

Bogdan is 30. Are you think of Bojan?

Surprised he is only 30. I thought both of them looked old.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 07:57:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think Hawks keep Bey and moved Collins to make it work $ wise

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 09:43:29 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I'm irrationally believing in Johnson based on some things that caught my eye at the end of the year. He's been a disappointment to this point in his career, but it takes guys a few years to figure it out and he's got the tools.

i'm happy with jrue. i think he's the right guy for this team right now. but man i continue to love jalen johnson. too bad it's too late to snag him now.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 10:02:35 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Saddiq Bey seems like a realistic option at the deadline
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller