Author Topic: Will McDyess Have Second Thoughts?  (Read 4507 times)

Will McDyess Have Second Thoughts?
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:00:39 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Anyone know when McDyess is able to sign with the Pistons?  I'm wondering if he will have second thoughts about rejoining them.  They are not good and I don't see McDyess being able to turn things around.

Is he really that loyal to the Pistons or would he have second thoughts about re-signing with them at this point.

Or, did he already re-sign with them, making my post moot?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Will McDyess Have Second Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:59 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The trade happened on 11/3 so it's been a month since the trade, but I think it was a couple of days until Denver bought him out, then I'm not sure if the 30 days start after he's cleared waivers or not.  Anyhow, the signing is a mere formality...The deal is done.  He's going back to Detroit and I think it's well documented that he did not make his decision based on which team he felt would give him the best chance at a ring, but rather it was based on him returning to a comfortable environment and not wanting to move his family.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think he could've signed on Sunday at the earliest.  Rumors are he'll be signed with Detroit before their game on tuesday.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Oh well, too bad for McDyess.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm more focussed on Joe Smith right now anyways.  Smith basically gives you the same thing McDyess does. 

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think this is a legitimate question. After losing badly to the Knicks, he has to be having trepidation.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Smith would be nice.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm more focussed on Joe Smith right now anyways.  Smith basically gives you the same thing McDyess does. 

Right now I'm leaning towards the Smith pick-up myself... but I would really dislike to part way with any of our rookies. Maybe we can send a package of Scal, Erden, Pruitt, and maybe Davis or Powe, probably Davis.

I like Pruitt, but I don't think he has a future with us... so he we can include him easily in a trade. Erden, who cares. Scal is Scal. And well Davis will become more than dispensable. Maybe we can throw in POB instead.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Right now I'm leaning towards the Smith pick-up myself... but I would really dislike to part way with any of our rookies. Maybe we can send a package of Scal, Erden, Pruitt, and maybe Davis or Powe, probably Davis.

I like Pruitt, but I don't think he has a future with us... so he we can include him easily in a trade. Erden, who cares. Scal is Scal. And well Davis will become more than dispensable. Maybe we can throw in POB instead.

It all depends on what kind of offers they get for him.  I think if they don't get what they want, he could still get bought out.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:37:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

It all depends on what kind of offers they get for him.  I think if they don't get what they want, he could still get bought out.

They also have numerous players with 1 or 2 year contracts. They can surely be major players in the trade deadline. Maybe they might not get what they expect from Smith alone, but in a combination of players, they should be able to get a decent package in return.

I think the offer I proposed above is quite fair, especially fitting their current rebuilding stage. Some young NBA ready players, some rights for a guy overseas, and short contracts.

Let's wait and see. But if there's any kind of trade this year, that's the kind of package I hope the Celtics give out. I have high hopes for our rookies for whatever reason.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
From what I've read, McDyess is a bit unusual in wanting to be comfortable more than anything. There were rumors that he'd go to Charlotte because he liked Larry Brown, for instance.

I think he is just comfortable in Detroit and would rather return than just latch on with some other random team and have to get used to all kinds of new stuff.

The Smith proposal above was kind of insane -- that's dumping a lot of assets for a guy who would be like our 9th guy. I'd rather just keep plugging along with Powe, BBD, and Scal than waste everything on that.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

They also have numerous players with 1 or 2 year contracts. They can surely be major players in the trade deadline. Maybe they might not get what they expect from Smith alone, but in a combination of players, they should be able to get a decent package in return.

I think the offer I proposed above is quite fair, especially fitting their current rebuilding stage. Some young NBA ready players, some rights for a guy overseas, and short contracts.

Let's wait and see. But if there's any kind of trade this year, that's the kind of package I hope the Celtics give out. I have high hopes for our rookies for whatever reason.

Oh, I have no problem with a package like that, I was just saying that the door is not closed to a buyout. 

Personally, after the 15th, I think the C's should send Scal, Tony Allen, and Eddie House to OKC for Smith and Wilkins.  It isn't too likely to happen though.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

The Smith proposal above was kind of insane -- that's dumping a lot of assets for a guy who would be like our 9th guy. I'd rather just keep plugging along with Powe, BBD, and Scal than waste everything on that.

Smith would immediately be our 6th man, and likely would be on the floor at the end of a lot of games, instead of Perkins.  He basically PJ Brown with much more gas left in the tank.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Smith would immediately be our 6th man, and likely would be on the floor at the end of a lot of games, instead of Perkins.  He basically PJ Brown with much more gas left in the tank.

I agree with this. Though I'm not that high on his center defense, we can make due with the improvement offensively. Joe Smith is a good defender, I just don't think much of him as a center defender. But there's KG, and he can guard just about anyone.

And I don't see much in those assets. I really would be surprised if Danny signed both Baby and Powe during free-agency. Erden, is that much of an asset? Scal, when we have two rookies who look quite promising and should be more than capable in filling his minutes? And then there's Pruitt... how much trade value does he have to really be considered an asset? I like him, but with House here, and Sam I Am here, I think he simply doesn't fit on the Celtics' plans in the near future. I think Danny is better off playing free-agency for some other PG back-up.

Personally, after the 15th, I think the C's should send Scal, Tony Allen, and Eddie House to OKC for Smith and Wilkins.  It isn't too likely to happen though.

I'm a Tony Allen guy, so no. Got no problem with trading Eddie though, even if I like him. Pruitt should be able to step up if Eddie was traded, but needing veterans for the playoffs, he's not going anywhere.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

And I don't see much in those assets. I really would be surprised if Danny signed both Baby and Powe during free-agency. Erden, is that much of an asset? Scal, when we have two rookies who look quite promising and should be more than capable in filling his minutes? And then there's Pruitt... how much trade value does he have to really be considered an asset? I like him, but with House here, and Sam I Am here, I think he simply doesn't fit on the Celtics' plans in the near future. I think Danny is better off playing free-agency for some other PG back-up.

Agree completely on this.  Which is why I think OKC would see it the same way, and would prefer to just buy him out and save them some cash, rather than take a deal like that. 

I'm a Tony Allen guy. Got no problem with trading Eddie though, even if I like him. Pruitt should be able to step up if Eddie was traded, but needing veterans for the playoffs, he's not going anywhere.

I can understand the reluctance to give Tony up, although I think Wilkins is a very underrated player, who gives a little more versatility because of his size, and also, a little more consistency.  I think he would step in immediately and fill Tony's shoes, and may even be a better fit for this team overall.