Author Topic: Forgotten Player: Moses Malone  (Read 6641 times)

Forgotten Player: Moses Malone
« on: December 04, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
Given the interest in the post about Fat Lever, I thought a cool feature would be to bring up other forgotten NBAers. We always talk about Larry, Magic, Jordan, Hakeem, Kareem, Russell and Wilt (among others), but don't give love to the lesser known stars. By starting a thread about one of these guys, it might spark some cool discussions and comparisions to today's players. Also, it might teach something to the younger members of Celticsblog.

I won't pretend to be a scout or even know that much about each of these players. My basketball memory goes back only to the late 80s. That's why I'd like your two cents about these players.

----------------------------

Forgotten Player #1: Moses Malone

I only caught the tail end of his long career when he was with the Hawks. He played for the Bucks, Sixers and Spurs after that, but was pretty much done. It's too bad I missed his prime  (1978-85) when he was with Houston and Philly. He was an All-NBA 1st team player and 3-time MVP (79,82,83). My favorite quote by Larry is after the Celtics beat Moses' Rockets in 81, he saw a sign at the rally in Boston that said 'Moses eats [poop]', Larry said to the crowd of tens of thousands, 'Moses *does* eat [poop]'.

That said, Moses was one tough SOB. I envision him like a smaller version of Perk, but more refined offensively. Though if you look at the way he made baskets, they weren't pretty. He just got the ball in the hoop. It helped that he rebounded better than anyone at the time.

Stats: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XCtRW50sG8

So, please post your thoughts and memories of Moses Malone. 

Re: Forgotten Player: Moses Malone
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Simply Put:

Moses Malone eats ***t.

Thank you.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
best offensive rebounder i've ever seen...although i could never understand a word he said, i had great respect for him.  i'm thankful that i was a teenager during the mid-late '80's, so Moses was a guy I despised, yet emulated on the floor when i played ball underneath with the big boys.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Obviously, an enemy of the Celtics.

However, this guy was ahead of his time.  Just would punish down low and could rebound with the best of them.  Was the missing piece that finally put the 76ers over the top against their nemesis, the Lakers in '83. 

One of the all-time rebounding greats.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was at that rally. It may have been on a sign, but more importantly everyone was chanting it. As I recall, Bird said a few things and was seemingly finished, then sort of casually leaned back into the microphone and said "And you know, Moses does eat ***t."

People went absolutely nuts.

The thing is, if he said that today he'd probably get suspended and fined. I am not a big fan of trash-talking or showboating, but I miss something about those days. I think what happened is that people started doing it over every little thing. Back then, only the greats would dare say stuff like that, because they could back it up. And it just showed how much competitive fire everyone had.

Now everyone has to make nice and talk about what a "warrior" the other guy is, and how much respect the other team deserves. Whatever.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I haven't forgotten that Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.. >:(

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

However, this guy was ahead of his time.  Just would punish down low and could rebound with the best of them.  Was the missing piece that finally put the 76ers over the top against their nemesis, the Lakers in '83. 

You sum it up pretty good...i remember that yr. he had Dr.J,Maurice Cheeks,Andrew Tonie on his team,they were tough.tp for reminding of that time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:05:27 PM by housecall »

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen

You sum it up pretty good...i remember that yr. he had Dr.J,Maurice Cheeks,Andrew Tonie on his team,they were tough.tp for reminding of that time.

and bobby jones...HATED that guy - looked like your stinkin' next door neighbor and that big ole' adam's apple...

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Without a doubt one of the BEST offensive rebounders ever.  I don't think he would fall into forgotten player (hall of famer).  Now how about Sidney Moncrief for an 80's forgotten player.  the guy could play

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Simply Put:

Moses Malone eats ***t.

Thank you.

I was at the rally in Government Center in `81 and that was one of the greatest lines ever.  Only Larry could have said it too.  I can't imagine someone getting away with saying that at a public event with hundreds of thousands of people in this day and age.  Absolute classic!

Moses was great though.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
Without a doubt one of the BEST offensive rebounders ever.  I don't think he would fall into forgotten player (hall of famer).  Now how about Sidney Moncrief for an 80's forgotten player.  the guy could play

I completely agree that Moncrief is forgotten. However, there are plenty of HOFers (Moses included) that are forgotten, but played 'recently': Dave Bing, Alex English, Walt Frazier, George Gervin, Dan Issel, Bob Lanier, Bob McAdoo, Calvin Murphy, even Dave Cowens, to name a few. I don't recall them being mentioned in the blogs very often. I wanted to start big rather than choose some truly forgotten player like Stojko Vrankovic or Alaa Abdelnaby (but who could forget these guys  ;)).

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Kevin Johnson.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
yes, moses malone was one of the all-time great rebounders ......... and that fact further illustrates the greatness of larry bird.

it was bird who was an absolute animal on the boards in that '81 finals series against moses & houston. i never thought bird got enough credit for his amazing ability to rebound. remember those huge 15-22 rebound nights he would have in some of the biggest playoff games the celtics played in - bird has to be one of the best rebounders of all time.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
Kevin Johnson.

seeing that name reminds me of how stacked the cav's were in building their franchise in the late '80's...i believe he was a part of a trade that brought larry nance to cleveland. 

but he and barkley were a tough duo...tom chambers still had a little left in the tank too.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

and bobby jones...HATED that guy - looked like your stinkin' next door neighbor and that big ole' adam's apple...

Not me.  Bobby Jones was one of my favorite players.  He was born to be a Celtic but, tragically, spent his career with other teams.

He was a great defender, with one of the most elegant dunks ever.