Author Topic: Raptors Fire Sam Mitchell  (Read 6657 times)

Raptors Fire Sam Mitchell
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I just saw on an ESPN scrawl that the Raptors have fired Sam Mitchell after an 8-9 start to the season.

I'm kind of surprised.

Re: Raptors Fire Sam Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve
Wow.

The Raps weren't really that bad, I didn't think. I'm pretty shocked.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm really not surprised. Raptors have always seemed to me like they've been underperforming.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm not surprised. Since I saw how stinky was their perimeter, with Moon regressing, Caldy playing hurt and being too conservative and Parker in a scary and quick decline, especially on defense, I thought this would happen. O'Neal is not the player he once was, even when healthy, Bosh disappears in big games when facing elite defenders and an offense that doesn't offer more than pick'n'roll over and over and outside shooting is just too limited when your defense is not elite.

However, in spite of Mitchell's shortcomings, this strikes me as Colangelo covering his ass. He has been making some bad personnel moves for a while. He received a franchise with the 1st pick in the draft and tons of cap space. He's yet to make them more than 1st round fodder and they still have a flawed roster: last season they missed a defensive big to pair with Bosh, this season they miss wings and depth, and I suspect that in 2010 they are going to be missing Bosh.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always thought Sam Mitchell was a very over rated coach that wasn't getting the most out of that group. The entire roster plays soft. It was the right move for the franchise.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Colangelo has never liked Mitchell.  I'm not surprised.

Mo Cheeks should be next to go.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline Dirk

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
WOW

Yeah maybe they are underperforming. Last night beating that Denver provided the Raptors sure helped Colangelo to do it.
the team to beat...
a force to reckon with...
just pick your poison.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 05:58:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Colangelo has never liked Mitchell.  I'm not surprised.

Mo Cheeks should be next to go.
You can add Randy Wittman to that list as well. Both are definitely not getting it done. And if I were Byron Scott I'd start putting a more impressive season than he has thus far. If this team doesn't win 50 games he should probably start looking over his back as well.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
This is definitely Colangelo placing blame. Of course, their roster just isn't good enough to be more than a 45-win team, but it's easier to blame the coach.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 06:22:55 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
Another thing -- I expect Toronto to be one of the most active teams before the '10 summer. It's not a viable free agent destination, so they'll take advantage and trade contracts for players that teams are unloading to get cap space. At least, that's what they'll do if they're smart.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Just took a peak at the Raps board and those guys are all jumping for joy.  It reminds me of the old days when we all really believed in our precious young players and thought Doc was the worst coach of all time.  

Toronto will go no where with Calderon and Bosh.  Calderon is the worst defender in the league, and average at best on the other end.  Bosh is a classic stat-stuffing loser.  The guy plays with no fire and is as soft as they come.  Anyone remember Micki Moore eating him alive in the playoffs a year or two back?

I do not understand how so many people can think Bosh is a top 15 player in the league.  Guys like Stephen Jackson, Al Jefferson, Al Horford, and Rasheed Wallace are all better than him.  To me, Bosh plays like Blount.  He doesn't rebound or defend, and is only interested in taking the 17' jumper.  And he disapears in the clutch.

Gotta agree with those calling out Colangelo, he created a mess that no coach could lead to victory.  Toronto easily plays the worst D in the league, thanks to Bryan's euro-ball lineup.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
This is definitely Colangelo placing blame. Of course, their roster just isn't good enough to be more than a 45-win team, but it's easier to blame the coach.

Colangelo should fire himself for bringing that lazy malcontent O'Neal to Toronto.  

Mitchell will be back somewhere.  Agree on Cheeks.  Philly's personnel is way too good to be struggling the way it is.  Too bad.  Cheeks is one of the league's good guys.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I was in the opinion that the Raptors were underperforming.  They have a pretty good squad on paper but have been too inconsistent this season on the floor.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
How can Cheeks solve the spacing problem they have in Philly? Teaching Miller and Iggy to shoot from distance? Not very realistic.

They could overcome that by running - not the best option with Brand on the roster. Or by moving the ball and the players a lot, and having guys who can score all around - but in that case they probably need Speights or Williams playing in the starting lineup, not Dalembert. Are they willing to sit Dalembert's big contract on the bench and use him as the backup big?

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
How can Cheeks solve the spacing problem they have in Philly? Teaching Miller and Iggy to shoot from distance? Not very realistic.

They could overcome that by running - not the best option with Brand on the roster. Or by moving the ball and the players a lot, and having guys who can score all around - but in that case they probably need Speights or Williams playing in the starting lineup, not Dalembert. Are they willing to sit Dalembert's big contract on the bench and use him as the backup big?

Philly just isn't that good. Any team with Brand and Iguodala as its two best players is in trouble, they're both helpers.