Author Topic: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league  (Read 13159 times)

Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league
« on: December 01, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
After reading the Rondo versus Harris thread, I felt this might be an interesting debate.  I think it would be interesting to hear where everyone ranks the top 5 PGs in the East this year, the top 10 PGs in the West this year, and just for fun, the 5 PGs who you want on your team for the next 5 years (just to weed out the older guys who you wouldn't really build a team around).

Top PGs in the East

1. Devin Harris (he is the best player on an overachieving team, and putting up All-Star numbers)
2. Derrick Rose (looking like a superstar in the making, and already the best player on his team)
3. Rajon Rondo (not the best scorer, but his assist numbers and defense make up for it)
4. Calderon (would be higher if he played defense)
5. Bibby (this was a tossup, but he is having a good year)

Top PGs in the league

1. Chris Paul
2. Devin Harris
3. Baron Davis
4. Steve Nash
5. Chauncey Billups
6. Derrick Rose
7. Rajon Rondo
8. Jose Calderon
9. Jason Kidd
10. Mike Bibby

5 PGs to build around
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Deron Williams
4. Devin Harris
5. Rajon Rondo

Re: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Chris,

I like your list and would pretty much go along with it.  Though I think you left D. Williams off your Top 10 by mistake (since he's down below)...Maybe not, but I'd have him up there on my list.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
After reading the Rondo versus Harris thread, I felt this might be an interesting debate.  I think it would be interesting to hear where everyone ranks the top 5 PGs in the East this year, the top 10 PGs in the West this year, and just for fun, the 5 PGs who you want on your team for the next 5 years (just to weed out the older guys who you wouldn't really build a team around).

Top PGs in the East

1. Devin Harris (he is the best player on an overachieving team, and putting up All-Star numbers)
2. Derrick Rose (looking like a superstar in the making, and already the best player on his team)
3. Rajon Rondo (not the best scorer, but his assist numbers and defense make up for it)
4. Calderon (would be higher if he played defense)
5. Bibby (this was a tossup, but he is having a good year)

Top PGs in the league

1. Chris Paul
2. Devin Harris
3. Baron Davis
4. Steve Nash
5. Chauncey Billups
6. Derrick Rose
7. Rajon Rondo
8. Jose Calderon
9. Jason Kidd
10. Mike Bibby

5 PGs to build around
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Deron Williams
4. Devin Harris
5. Rajon Rondo

Insert Deron Williams in at #2 on the Top PG list and slide the rest down removing Bibby and you pretty much have it how I see it.  The 2nd list is bound to change over the next few years with any of the 5 going up or down, including the omnipresent Chris Paul and newly annoited king of all PGs (on losing teams) Devin Harris.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 01:47:30 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'd move Nash down below Rondo -- he's slipped and not as effective without D'Antoni. I'd also rather have Rajon than Billups or Rose (this year), though Rose is going to shoot right up, it appears. Billups has been a good influence on Denver's team, but I still think he's pretty overrated.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'd move Nash down below Rondo -- he's slipped and not as effective without D'Antoni. I'd also rather have Rajon than Billups or Rose (this year), though Rose is going to shoot right up, it appears. Billups has been a good influence on Denver's team, but I still think he's pretty overrated.

I'd take billups if he was younger, but he's still better than rajon. Not much upside at this point in his carear though.

Nash i'm mixed on. I'm not sure he;s slipped, but that offense clearly doesn't work for him. He's a fast break PG, and PHX now has to wait for shaqs fat butt to get up the court. its so slow its painful sometimes.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

I'd take billups if he was younger, but he's still better than rajon. Not much upside at this point in his carear though.

Nash i'm mixed on. I'm not sure he;s slipped, but that offense clearly doesn't work for him. He's a fast break PG, and PHX now has to wait for shaqs fat butt to get up the court. its so slow its painful sometimes.

Nash doesn't play any defense either.

I'm not sure that Billups is any better than Rajon. He's a little bigger and stronger, but Rajon's quicker, faster, a better defender, and more creative. Billups makes fewer mistakes, and is a better shooter (but shoots too much). To me it's pretty much a toss-up, but Rajon's defense is much better, and that's often hard to quantify.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I like the list other than not having D. Williams and Tony Parker not on there. 

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Chris,

I like your list and would pretty much go along with it.  Though I think you left D. Williams off your Top 10 by mistake (since he's down below)...Maybe not, but I'd have him up there on my list.

I am basing it on performance so far this year, and Williams (along with Parker) have both been injured for most of the year so far. 

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Nash doesn't play any defense either.

I'm not sure that Billups is any better than Rajon. He's a little bigger and stronger, but Rajon's quicker, faster, a better defender, and more creative. Billups makes fewer mistakes, and is a better shooter (but shoots too much). To me it's pretty much a toss-up, but Rajon's defense is much better, and that's often hard to quantify.

I put Billups so high, mostly because of the positive effect he has had on the Nuggets.  Perhaps I am giving him too much credit, and it was more addition by subtraction, but there was a clear and dramatic change to that team after the trade for Billups. 

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Top PGs in the East:

1. Derrick Rose
2. Devin Harris
3. Jose Calderon
4. Rajon Rondo
5. TJ Ford

Honorable mention - Gilbert Arenas.*

Top PGs in the league:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Steve Nash - In the games that matter, I will say "I told you so."
4 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris
6 - Tony Parker - Universally underrated and overlooked.
7 - Chauncey Billups
8 - Jose Calderon
9 - Jason Kidd
10 - Rajon Rondo

Top 5 PGs to build around:

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
4 - Ricky Rubio - He is that good.
5 - Devin Harris

*Not on current form, obviously.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

This is the list I have any qualms about. You call Tony Parker, rightly so, severely underrated. And you put Harris as a better PG to build around than Parker. I think i take the Mid-20's scoring PG who has a finals MVP over Harris. I think the most underrated thing about Parker is his youth. ;D

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
not sure i'd have rose quite so high yet.  Maybe next year... If the playoffs started today for the C's, I'd rather have a few of them on the list including Rondo.
I'd also have parker a little higher.  And TP for celticmaestro for not having Bibby on his lists.  I don't think he's very good at this point.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

This is the list I have any qualms about. You call Tony Parker, rightly so, severely underrated. And you put Harris as a better PG to build around than Parker. I think i take the Mid-20's scoring PG who has a finals MVP over Harris. I think the most underrated thing about Parker is his youth. ;D

yep, parker is a real good one.  And he could put up absolutely huge numbers if he wanted to.  He fits in that system perfectly.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

1 - Chris Paul
2 - Deron Williams
3 - Derrick Rose
5 - Devin Harris

I don't really have a problem leaving Parker off that list because I believe that those players would be better to build around as the centrepiece for a team. If anything, because Rubio has yet to play an NBA game I may remove him and place Parker at 5. But it's win/win really.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
not sure i'd have rose quite so high yet.  Maybe next year... If the playoffs started today for the C's, I'd rather have a few of them on the list including Rondo.
I'd also have parker a little higher.  And TP for celticmaestro for not having Bibby on his lists.  I don't think he's very good at this point.

Just curious why you wouldn't have him so high yet?  Just because he is a rookie?  His team isn't great?

He is putting up 19 points, 6 assists and 4 rebounds per game...and doing it in an efficient way (49% shooting from the field, 37% from 3, and a 2.3 assist to turnover ratio).