Author Topic: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league  (Read 13082 times)

Re: Rank the PGs in the East and in the entire league
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
good shooting guards can usually shoot.  But yeah, he's kind of like an Iverson/Arenas in that he loves to dribble up the court, spend half the shot clock dribbling, and then shooting the ball himself.

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
good shooting guards can usually shoot.  But yeah, he's kind of like an Iverson/Arenas in that he loves to dribble up the court, spend half the shot clock dribbling, and then shooting the ball himself.

exactly, to me if you need to dribble the clock out at the PG postion, your a 2.

not that thier is anythign wrong with that, but to me, a PG should be distributing first and looking to break down a man off the dribble 2nd. I like davis, but i struggle to think of him as a PG.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'm uncertain of where to rank Rondo. He's still inconsistent which makes me hesitant to put him ahead of other top point guards.

Rondo on one of his good days isn't far off being a top 5 point guard in this league. The capability is there, the potential for more is also there.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
The lack of blatant homerism in this thread confuses and perplexes me.  What has caused such universal rationality?  Is this all in response to Devin Harris going off for 47?  What is happening here?  Where am I?  What have you done with Celticsblog?

Yeah it must homerism to pick a guy that's coming off a NBA championship and currently on a 16-2 team over a guy that's played well for a month... Has there ever been a player score a whole 47 points in an NBA sanctioned game that didn't turn out to be a HOFer?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »

Offline Mideon

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
Here's my list for how good these guys are RIGHT now (not for the future):

1. Paul
2. D. Williams
3. Tony Parker
4. Steve Nash
5. Baron Davis
6. Billups
7. D. Rose
8. D. Harris
9. Calderon
10. Andre Miller
11. TJ Ford
12. Kidd
13. Rondo

At this point I'm not as high on Rondo as many people here it seems. To me, plug in any of the aforementioned guys (or even people like Felton, Sessions, etc.) and we still win the ring last season. In the future, Rondo will move ahead of guys like Kidd, Miller, Nash, Billups once they get old. Then again, Ricky Rubio and others will probably be better than him once they enter the league, so it'll even out. I see Rondo as a perennial 7th-10th best PG in the league, with a couple of all-star appearances mixed in there. Very solid and exciting, but not "elite" like the guys on top of this list.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Out of the left-out players, maybe miller belongs in the 8-10 range.  And Baron Davis is a tough one.  When he's focused and unselfish and in shape he's top 5.  But he's so unpredictable from year to year and game to game.  You never know if he's in the mood to jack up 23 jump shots and hit 5 of them.  If this guy had a different brain type he would be one of the greats.

Would people outside of Boston actually suggest that Rondo is better than Baron Davis?  Man are we going to get stuck giving Rondo a max contract?

I suggest baron realy isn't a PG, but a very good SG.

Really?  Although he may take some questionable shots, I think Baron is more of a true PG than half of the guys on the list.

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I love Rondo, but I don't see him in the top 10. He seems to be a good fit though on our team.

I would rate the following higher than Rondo:

Paul, D Williams, Nash, B Davis, Parker, Billups, Kidd, Calderon, AI (he starts at PG), Harris

Possibly Miller also. Maybe Rose by end of the season.

I would be afraid to trade Rondo for many of these guys though since our defense is built partly around his pressure on the opposing PG, and it is hard to predict how he will develop. I would rather have Rondo than Kidd, Calderon and AI due to age and ball pressure. I would take him over Baron due to my feeling that Baron is like AI - hard to blend into a team-oriented system. I would also pass on Nash due to the age and defense issues.

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 06:16:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I suggest baron realy isn't a PG, but a very good SG.
Really?  Although he may take some questionable shots, I think Baron is more of a true PG than half of the guys on the list.
Yes, I agree with Chris. Baron is true point and more so than many players mentioned.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Here's my list for how good these guys are RIGHT now (not for the future):

1. Paul
2. D. Williams
3. Tony Parker
4. Steve Nash
5. Baron Davis
6. Billups
7. D. Rose
8. D. Harris
9. Calderon
10. Andre Miller
11. TJ Ford
12. Kidd
13. Rondo

At this point I'm not as high on Rondo as many people here it seems. To me, plug in any of the aforementioned guys (or even people like Felton, Sessions, etc.) and we still win the ring last season. In the future, Rondo will move ahead of guys like Kidd, Miller, Nash, Billups once they get old. Then again, Ricky Rubio and others will probably be better than him once they enter the league, so it'll even out. I see Rondo as a perennial 7th-10th best PG in the league, with a couple of all-star appearances mixed in there. Very solid and exciting, but not "elite" like the guys on top of this list.
I will give you your first tp...thats about how i see it to.Your list is pretty good.

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
1. CP3
2. D.Will
3. Steve Nash
4. Billups
5. Parker
6. Baron Davis
7. D.Rose
8. Andre Miller
9. Kidd
10. Calderon
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
1. CP3
2. D.Will
3. Steve Nash
4. Billups
5. Parker
6. Baron Davis
7. D.Rose
8. Andre Miller
9. Kidd
10. Calderon

This list is very similar to Mideon's.  I like both of them a lot.  I prefer this one because I think we need to consider the players themselves and not the systems they are in.  For instance, Nash was an MVP 2 seasons ago until this year he is in a system that completely does not fit him.  So I have seen him lower in people's lists.  His skills have not diminished as low as people have him rated (you'd know if you watched him in the 4th quarters of last season's playoffs).  I realize his defense is not good, but he is one of the nba's 4 or so truly clutch offensive players.

Also, I saw somebody earlier post that Rondo is better defensively than Billups.  I think thats crazy, Billups is one of the only lock down pg defenders in the game. 

I would go 100% with the top 6 in this list, then #s 7-10 become fuzzy, very arguable, and I'd throw Rondo somewhere in there.  I completely agree with Mideon: "I see Rondo as a perennial 7th-10th best PG in the league".  I have trouble considering Harris and AI as pgs, so I left them off the list. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 06:10:20 AM »

Offline ridler2013

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'd move Nash down below Rondo -- he's slipped and not as effective without D'Antoni. I'd also rather have Rajon than Billups or Rose (this year), though Rose is going to shoot right up, it appears. Billups has been a good influence on Denver's team, but I still think he's pretty overrated.

LOL... Without D'Antoni Nash is still Nash, just like what he did in Mavericks

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 07:08:56 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Has my fellow Rondophile Rondilla seen these lists? Boy, when he does, you guys are in for it!!
I don't watch enough of other teams, but based on what I have seen, I'll take Rondo(and last year's title, and this years 16-2 start) over Calderon(not even close), Nash and Kidd(age,past their primes), Andre Miller(he's good though), Felton, Bibby, and probably a few others.

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Has my fellow Rondophile Rondilla seen these lists? Boy, when he does, you guys are in for it!!
I don't watch enough of other teams, but based on what I have seen, I'll take Rondo(and last year's title, and this years 16-2 start) over Calderon(not even close), Nash and Kidd(age,past their primes), Andre Miller(he's good though), Felton, Bibby, and probably a few others.

yeah, i kinda feel like rondilla is being baited a little here by the lack of Rondo love....IMO is the best PG in the EC right now and the only player really in the conversation is Calderon.

Harris is a nice player, but Rondo is clearly better at the things PGs need to be good at including: running an offense, ball-handling, court vision, passing..

Scoring is a sexy stat and Harris getting his this year, but IMO when we are talking PG you gotta do the PG-things to be up with the big boys.

there are lots of scorers in the NBA, but not too many guys that can run an offense.

overall i would go:

Paul
Nash
WIlliams
Billups
Tony P
Rondo
Calderon
Baron
Rose
Kidd
Harris

and Rondo is knocking on TPs door....and plays way better D than Nash.

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well the best pg in the league is clearly Chris Paul and Deron Williams is #2.

In the East, IMHO the best pg right now is TJ Ford. If Arenas were healthy, Arenas would be No. 1.

I suppose I would rate Devin Harris as #3, but I'm not a big fan. After that, Rondo is as good or better than anyone.  I don't think there's any question that defensively Rondo is the best pg in the East.