Author Topic: C's "very open to extending Rondo before 2015"  (Read 7322 times)

C's "very open to extending Rondo before 2015"
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
When the Boston Celtics announced that Rajon Rondo would indeed be returning this weekend from an ACL injury he suffered almost a full calendar year ago, many assumed that they were showcasing him for a trade. There has been Rondo trade talk hanging around Boston since well before his ACL injury last January, but the Celtics have yet to entertain those trade rumors as they’ve been focused on something else.

According to The Sporting News’ Sean Deveney, the Celtics are very open to the idea of extending Rondo before his contract expires in the summer of 2015 and have been staying in close contact with him about such a matter.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, dating back to the end of last June, when the Celtics began their rebuilding project in earnest by trading Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce, management was in contact with Rondo about the team’s long-term plan. And it is only a small coincidence that the Celtics’ long-term plan dovetails nicely with Rondo’s long-term plan — both are focused on the summer of 2015.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but would make a lot of sense after naming hiim captain yesterday. I figure they just want to see if he can get back to the player he was the rest of the year before offering him the extension .

If that's the case , I think we are going to see some trades to get him help on draft day. They won't trade a top 3 pick, but anything after that might be a chip to land an all-star.

Re: C's "very open to extending Rondo before 2015"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This makes sense regardless of the team's plans for Rondo.

If they want to keep him, it's best for them to lock him up ASAP, especially since his market value is probably down right now.

If they want to trade him at some point, locking him up also makes sense because his trade value will be higher if he's got a longer term contract.  Right now, a team would be trading for just one full season of healthy Rondo.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Rondo could bring a lot to this team given we acquire a talented enough player, if we can land a top 3 pick Rondo will be a huge asset towards the development to either Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. However he is 28, and the last two years of the deal will not be in the favor of the team assuming its a five year deal, so the price would have to be similar to his current deal.

I'd go up to 12-13 million per year tops.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

If they want to keep him, it's best for them to lock him up ASAP, especially since his market value is probably down right now.

If they want to trade him at some point, locking him up also makes sense because his trade value will be higher if he's got a longer term contract.  Right now, a team would be trading for just one full season of healthy Rondo.

This.

I'm firmly in the "keep Rondo" camp and would love to see him extended this summer and have him stay in Boston well into his 30's.

However, even if Ainge decides to trade him at some point, it makes much more sense to have him under your control regardless.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondos camp is going to want 15 million a year. And i think Danny will give it to him, depending on how he finishes this year. Maybe a 5 year deal but not 7

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm sure the Celtics have offered Rondo a maximum extension already.  But unless I've misunderstood the CBA, here's a maximum extension if he were to sign one today:

2013-2014: $11,954,545 (current contract)
2014-2015: $12,909,091 (current contract)
2015-2016: $13,877,273 (extension year)
2016-2017: $14,825,455 (extension year)
2017-2018: FREE AGENT

So an extension would only give Rondo two more years of financial certainty.  Last year a max salary would have ben $16.4 million.  By the time Rondo is currently scheduled to his free agency, it will likely be between $17.5-$18 million, mean Rondo would leave around $4 million in salary per year on the table, plus 2-3 years of a contract.  Rondo would be giving the Celtics an incredible home team discount if he signed that deal, especially considering the Celtics, at present, aren't terribly competitive.  Rondo's a great guy, and my favorite player, but there's no way he should sign an extension.

My numbers might be off by a few hundred thousand in one direction or the other, but regardless Rondo would get paid at least 25% less than he'd command on the open market, and would add limited future financial certainty.

Danny Ainge would be foolish not to offer Rondo the most he could today, and to try again next year.  But I don't think Rondo should accept it, and unlike with some stars, that's not an indication he won't re-sign in Boston.  That's just how the CBA works for guys who have max or near-max value, but currently aren't paid that deal.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
After reading that again, the last sentence sticks out.

It says both the c's and Rondo are looking towards. 2015. There are a bunch of big name free agents in 2015, including Marc Gasol and Love. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but would love if Danny was able to pull off a deal to land gasol to play next to Sully. That is a beastly front court.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It also makes sense to say this now even if they are planning to trade him this year without ever pursuing an extension. It's a vote of confidence in his future health.

I am not reading anything into this. Nor, I suspect, are any GMs around the league.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Offer Rondo a no-trade clause so that he can control his destiny in exchange for a discount on his deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

It says both the c's and Rondo are looking towards. 2015. There are a bunch of big name free agents in 2015, including Marc Gasol and Love. Maybe I am reading to much into it, but would love if Danny was able to pull off a deal to land gasol to play next to Sully. That is a beastly front court.

TP. Please, Danny, get us Marc Gasol...

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Offer Rondo a no-trade clause so that he can control his destiny in exchange for a discount on his deal.

I've thought about this too before...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm thinking the same thing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Good deal all around. Rondo gets more security sooner and the C's save money while retaining their best asset.

Just like the last deal Danny did with Rondo.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm thinking the same thing.

to me it means the team and Rondo are both looking to 2015 as a turning point.  that will be the time that the team either makes a move to put talent around Rondo and compete, or else Rondo will probably start indicating his desire to go somewhere else to play out the rest of his prime.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

It also makes sense to say this now even if they are planning to trade him this year without ever pursuing an extension. It's a vote of confidence in his future health.

I am not reading anything into this. Nor, I suspect, are any GMs around the league.

Exactly. The team should say this stuff to drum up his health as the trade deadline approaches.
It doesn't even mean they're looking to trade him but it might sweeten any potential offers that teams are preparing.
Don't buy into it for 30 seconds.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.