Author Topic: If you was David Griffin 🤔  (Read 3544 times)

Re: If you was David Griffin 🤔
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:18 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

If I'm Griffin then I'm watching New York really closely. If they get Durant and Irving in free agency I presume they go all in for a big 3 and offer Knox, Smith Jr and the #3 pick.

Only question is whether the numbers work out, i haven't gone through that yet.

Knox, Smith Jr, #3 pick and then say Ntilikina or Lance Thomas (once guaranteed) as salary ballast, would that leave them enough cap space to have signed Kyrie and Durant?
If this is possible then this is my route.

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Wouldn't you want to at least try to see how those guys could look together?

In an ideal world, yes.  However I think you need to account for being in a small market.  These teams only have so many years to get it together to try to convince their players to stay.  Milwaukee with Giannis would be a good example from a talent perspective.  If you've got an AD in his final year and he's shown every indication of not wanting to stick around, you need to do absolutely EVERYTHING you can to get your team competitive within the next 5 years or so to the point where Zion is approaching his first UFA and he sees the team being right on the cusp.  If in 5 years, that team is in high seeded purgatory, that player is likely going to jump ship first opportunity he can.  If NO can get a massive amount of assets for an AD, and start to put the pieces around Zion so everything starts to take off in 3-5 years, I think that is the ideal scenario for a small market.

It sucks they have to operate under these assertions, but it seems that is what they have to do.

Additionally, I find it hard to believe that AD decides to stick around just because NOLA can now draft a more athletic version of Julius Randle. Zion might be an absolute force in a couple of years, but AD is in win now mode, not kicking the can down the road 3-5 seasons.

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Just letting everyone know that Zion was upset at Knicks not winning the lottery. Maybe he falls in love with NOP, who knows? I would just let it be aware that Zion may or may not want to go there even if drafted.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 04:59:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Just letting everyone know that Zion was upset at Knicks not winning the lottery. Maybe he falls in love with NOP, who knows? I would just let it be aware that Zion may or may not want to go there even if drafted.

If Kyrie and AD want to play together, might be easiest for all concerned for a Kyrie S&T to NO for Zion and Holiday.  I realize this won't happen, but how much less complicated would it be for KI and AD to build a superteam if that trade happened?  They sign KD or Leonard and they're competing with GSW. 

C's are then in a different kind of rebuild mode, but with some pretty amazing young talent.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 05:24:38 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

He’s young what does he know? But if the Pels were to consider his feelings they would just trade Davis to the knicks and bring in Barrett so he will have a friend.

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 05:33:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fire Gentry.

Trade Davis for the best package of young productive players with upside + picks.

Randle
Zion
Tatum
Smart
Jrue

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Fire Gentry.

Trade Davis for the best package of young productive players with upside + picks.

Agree here, and hire a young NBA assistant or 'no-drama' college coach know for player development to coach for a few years.

Model is sort of in play with the Brooklyn Nets.

Re: If you was David Griffin
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If I were Griffin, I'd withdraw all my savings and go straight to Vegas.

The guy won 4 lotteries, all in this decade.
In 2011, 2013, as an assistant GM (CLE), and in 2014 (CLE), 2019 (NOLA) as a GM.

But for real.
I'd go for LeBron.
I'd get some 3&D ring chasers and go for the title.
Simple as that. Go for the kill.
Maybe it is a short term approach, but it also might be their best bet of keeping AD there, even after this contract expires.

Lakers could proceed with their rebuild, the good way. Their hands are tied with LeBron as they are not competitive, but can't rebuild due to LBJ.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:47:08 PM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 05:41:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Fire Gentry.

Randle
Zion
Tatum
Smart
Jrue

Randle and Zion seem like a bad fit to me.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

NY Post article said he hasn’t signed agent or shoe deal, is still eligible to return to Duke, and may threaten to do so if he isn’t traded. I’m very skeptical he’d do that.

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Wouldn't you want to at least try to see how those guys could look together?

In an ideal world, yes.  However I think you need to account for being in a small market.

I'm doing exactly that, but I guess we reach different conclusions about how that will affect their decisionmaking.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

In 2011, 2013, as an assistant GM (CLE), and in 2014 (CLE), 2019 (NOLA) as a GM.

But for real.
I'd go for LeBron.
Maybe it is a short term approach, but it also might be their best bet of keeping AD there, even after this contract expires.

Lakers could proceed with their rebuild, the good way. Their hands are tied with LeBron as they are not competitive, but can't rebuild due to LBJ.

You really think an aging LeBron and AD + Holiday will make them a contender?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Fire Gentry.

Randle
Zion
Tatum
Smart
Jrue

I would trade Jrue too.  It makes sense to build around Zion with players that fit his timeline.  Be bad and get another lottery pick for the next year or 2, whatever young assets they get for Jrue, plus they would most likely have our Grizzlies pick.  The problem with the Davis era in NO is they didn’t build enough around him. A true rebuild with enough promising young players around Zion would be a great start.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

What do you guys think about Pels taking a much different approach and surround Zion with 1 other young player and have a team full of vets? Grow him up the right way, just a random thought. 

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 06:41:05 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

But for real.
I'd go for LeBron.

You really think an aging LeBron and AD + Holiday will make them a contender?
No, I think they need 3-4 more players for the dirty work and spacing, as I wrote.
If they, from the top of my head, get Danny Green, Ariza, Reddick and couple of more good soldiers then yes, and KD leaves GSW, then yes, I could imagine that.
It is a lot of ifs, but IMO worth a thought.
They never won before and it is a valid goal after all.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."