Author Topic: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread  (Read 278178 times)

Re: NBA 2018 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:40 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Bulls traded the wrong player Mirotic>Portis!

« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:35 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Lol now Rondo just needs to remain healthy and the Pelicans can sweep the Blazers omg.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2018, 01:12:37 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Pelicans @ Blazers.

Man if the Pelicans win tonight, the series is pretty much ovah.

They're definitely going for it, lol. RONDOOOOOOOOOOOO ;D.

No kidding. 16 points, 10 rebs, 9 asts.

Everybody who passed on Rondo after the Celtics were forced to trade him...whelp, they miss playoff Rondo and here he is.

« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2018, 01:13:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The best part of this game is  no more Lillard being better than Kyrie talk lol. Always been a ridiculous take

There's nothing ridiculous about this take.  Kyrie has accomplished nothing without LeBron.  And unfortunately, he chooses not to play due to "discomfort" at the most important time of the year.  Any difference in talent is negligible, and Lillard is a far better teammate and human being. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
The best part of this game is  no more Lillard being better than Kyrie talk lol. Always been a ridiculous take

There's nothing ridiculous about this take.  Kyrie has accomplished nothing without LeBron.  And unfortunately, he chooses not to play due to "discomfort" at the most important time of the year.  Any difference in talent is negligible, and Lillard is a far better teammate and human being.

So you'd rather him play through the discomfort right now and run a high risk of him damaging his health in the long-term with the Celtics?

« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:21 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

So you'd rather him play through the discomfort right now and run a high risk of him damaging his health in the long-term with the Celtics?

Yes, absolutely.  But as I've detailed in other threads, there was very minimal risk of him enduring any significant long-term changes to his health status by playing.  There was a risk of him missing the playoffs altogether by having surgery that was unnecessary at the time, though.

« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2018, 01:20:36 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Yeah no, that's 100% accurate.  Unfortunately. 

« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2018, 01:41:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

First, you know neither Kyrie nor Lillard and their personas in the media paint each as both being pretty good guys. Claiming you know that Lillard or Kyrie are better team mates or people is just non-sensical since you personally know neither.

Second, Kyrie went down due to pain in his knee. Call it discomfort to minimilize it all you want, it was pain. It was determined a wire needed to be removed and after, it was it was determined the screws had to come out to get rid of long term infection chances. It was the right long term move, regardless of time during year. Kyrie is 25. He has lots of championship winning years in front of him. You don't sacrifice that to try to get a ring this year. Just ask Kevin McHale about that.

« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:35 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

First, you know neither Kyrie nor Lillard and their personas in the media paint each as both being pretty good guys. Claiming you know that Lillard or Kyrie are better team mates or people is just non-sensical since you personally know neither.

Second, Kyrie went down due to pain in his knee. Call it discomfort to minimilize it all you want, it was pain. It was determined a wire needed to be removed and after, it was it was determined the screws had to come out to get rid of long term infection chances. It was the right long term move, regardless of time during year. Kyrie is 25. He has lots of championship winning years in front of him. You don't sacrifice that to try to get a ring this year. Just ask Kevin McHale about that.

I think McHale said he'd do it again but The Celtics were running out of time. These Celtics are very young. McHale was also never the same again. Kevin McHale was a 7 footer who could play inside out and guard all five positions before playing on the broken foot but not so much afterward. Kyrie had an infection in his leg that they were very glad that they caught so the whole thing was probably career saving.

« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2018, 02:16:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I appreciate you, nick, but I really disagree here.  I've never seen Lillard disrespect or belittle reporters in the same way that Kyrie has.  By all accounts, Lillard has embraced Portland and vice versa.  He has been a solid locker room presence to a team formerly ridiculed as the Jail Blazers.  And he has brought them along without much help at all.  Kyrie, on the other hand, forced his way off a contender.  He threatened to have knee surgery/discontinue playing in CLE because he was unhappy.  Think about that for a second ... then place it in the context of Kyrie playing for a new team that a) he has a lot less time with and presumably allegiance to, b) and a Celtics team that was eliminated from contention when Hayward went down, c) whose management has proven will dump an all-NBA player due to injury concerns.  That in mind, I trust nothing that has come out of his camp.  Without evidence of elevated blood cell counts, I don't even buy the infection story.  He created that doubt with his actions...

It was reported as 'discomfort' and 'irritation' in the media.  That's consistent with the wire and its placement.  Anything beyond that is speculation on both our parts, but the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.  He's proven to be a self-centered diva, and he would most assuredly waste a post season of Celtic fans' interests if it was in his best interest.  I can understand that to an extent, but all signs pointed to there being very minimal risk of him causing significant long-term damage to that knee by foregoing the first surgery and playing through 'discomfort' in what so many posters are calling "a wide open East."  Point guards are a dime-a-dozen in today's NBA -- see: Rozier right now -- and the very best aren't good enough to win a championship as a team's best player.  That honor goes to the super-versatile wings and unicorn bigs of the league.  If I question a PGs allegiance, especially if I've proven that I'm adept at drafting under-the-radar PGs, I'd be wide open to trading a high-profile PG (Kyrie) for a transcendent big (AD) to a team that may listen. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:42:58 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #461 on: April 18, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I see Tarheels mysterious Kyrie hatred has returned to the blog.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #462 on: April 18, 2018, 03:55:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I for one did not miss it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

It feels like trolling, to me. I'm going to try and just ignore it and see if it goes away.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

It feels like trolling, to me. I'm going to try and just ignore it and see if it goes away.

My theory is that Tarheels is the human embodiment of the spherical earth.