Author Topic: Celticsblog and SOPA  (Read 11475 times)

Celticsblog and SOPA
« on: December 29, 2011, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96
SOPA has become a talking point for many online forums, though I haven't seen it here at Celticsblog yet (did I miss it?).

Today at Tom's hardware they gave a good summary of what it does and how it effects online communities like this.  From http://www.tomshardware.com/news/toms-hardware-sopa-Stop-Online-Piracy-Act-PROTECT-IP-Senate,14393.html:

here’s what the law would do:

• Assign liability to site owners for everything users post, without consideration for whether or not the user posted without permission.  Site owners could face jail time or heavy fines, and DNS blacklisting.
  • It would require web services like YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter to monitor and aggressively filter everything all users upload.
  • It would deny site owners due process of law, by initiating a DNS blacklisting based solely on a good faith assertion by an individual copyright or intellectual property owner.
    It would give the U.S. government the power to selectively censor the web using techniques similar to those used in China, Malaysia and Iran.  The Great Firewall of China is an example of this type of embedded, infrastructural internet censorship.

As an example, imagine a user posts a video clip to the Tom’s Community of a step-by-step guide on how to set up water cooling on an overclocked i7 CPU.  Playing in the background behind the voiceover is “Derezzed” by Daft Punk.  The studio representing Daft Punk could issue a complaint, without being required to notify us or request a take-down.  Tom’s Hardware would be liable and prosecuted solely on a good faith assertion of the copyright owner, without notification, with the site operators subject to possible jail time for not preventing the video from being posted.

They go on to talk about the implications to those changes and what it will require people who host sites likes this to do.

I feel it is important for others to understand just how much this law can change the structure and growth of the internet and I implore you to do what you can to oppose it.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."ť - Franklin

Re: Celticsblog and SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As I have been lead to understand SOPA...

The entire Celticblog website could be forced to shut down (theoretically), because of ACF's forum signature (using a copywritten Paul Pierce image)...

Hence the outcry

... at least that's how people are portraying it.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The entire Celticblog website could be forced to shut down (theoretically), because of ACF's forum signature (using a copywritten Paul Pierce image)...

Hence the outcry

Yeah, the parade of horribles probably isn't going to happen, but I'd just as soon limit government power.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Hence the outcry

Yeah, the parade of horribles probably isn't going to happen, but I'd just as soon limit government power.

Right... it probably isn't going to happen, but it gives the power to do so.  I think the classic example would be if someone made a Rondo mix video using an Eminem song and then posted it on Celticsblog.  Either the NBA or the record company that owns the Eminem track supposedly would have the power to take down the entire Celticsblog site if they wanted to (blocking access)... simply because the user posted the video and it was accessible through a link on the front page (the forum post)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:50:31 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Hence the outcry

I was doing some Googling and when I got to Wikipedia I got redirected. So I had to do a specific name search. Pure coincidence that I chose PP, by the way.

I'm going to go read more on this subject matter soon.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I personally am not well researched on the subject, but if you are curious, here's SBNation's stance

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/18/2715811/sopa-legislation-sb-nation-vox-media-statement
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Here's a short video explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBtr4aZtmrQ

Here's a long video explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Didn't know about this until now.

Sounds completely ridiculous.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Didn't know about this until now.

Sounds completely ridiculous.
It's been a huge deal on sites like Reddit for months.  For example, it was found out that GoDaddy supported SOPA... so users on Reddit lead a boycott of GoDaddy by asking users to transfer their domains to a different provider.  At first Godaddy seemed to laugh it off... but thousands of people switched (godaddy is overpriced anyways)... then Godaddy lied about no longer supporting SOPA... so thousands of others dumped them...

At this point they seemingly are against SOPA, but it's mostly because they had no choice... it was a public relations nightmare for them.

Basically months of outcries on sites like Reddit pushed sites like Wikipedia and Google to finally do something to raise awareness.  The fact that you're only hearing about it today shows that it was necessary.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
SOPA is an infringement on your 1st Amendment right to free speech.  This is another example of rich-Corporate America taking away your civil rights so that they can make more money.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
as usual don't mess with the internet. The author of SOPA is copyright violator himself. Here's a great piece of investigative journalism. http://www.vice.com/read/lamar-smith-sopa-copyright-whoops

Give him the 5 year maximum penalty for copyright infringement.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:46:18 PM by Change »

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
[Message removed by the U.S. Federal Government on the grounds of CISPA]

Sorry. Had to :P

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale