Author Topic: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement  (Read 49035 times)

Re: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2023, 10:34:13 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
quite disappointed to hear, though i don't know this new guy and hope he'll be great.

sean might be the best commentator in sports, imo. however, on a somewhat recent podcast (i think celtics beat?) i remember him giving some good reasons he might not take over for mike and it made sense to me at the time i was listening. was still hoping he'd get the gig though.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 11:55:20 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I go sound off about 80% of the game. Broadcasters good and bad annoy me - I far prefer watching soundless.

That said, Gorman is great. Seems like a great guy in addition to his announcing skill. Btw - I remember his early years well - he was nowhere near the comfortable, polished game-caller he became.  Whoever replaces the legendary Gorman should get a little slack.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 12:56:18 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Grande better suited for radio, as he talked way too much. Still, he was very well prepared, and genuinely liked the team.  So it is a loss.
This is what I hated about the few times Grande did TV broadcasts last year. The game was still going on and he wouldn't shut up about anything and everything else. It was so frustrating. Of course, I like Scal so I might be a minority here.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
We were so spoiled for so long with Gorman & Heinsohn.

If you have League Pass, you realize about 75% of the TV broadcast teams are vanilla and bland as heck.  Unfortunately, Celtics seem headed in that direction.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 01:05:01 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I go sound off about 80% of the game. Broadcasters good and bad annoy me - I far prefer watching soundless.

That said, Gorman is great. Seems like a great guy in addition to his announcing skill. Btw - I remember his early years well - he was nowhere near the comfortable, polished game-caller he became.  Whoever replaces the legendary Gorman should get a little slack.

I mute all of the national broadcasts (which sucks in the playoffs, especially when there's a weird/controversial call and I have to unmute it), I hope I don't end up doing the same thing with the regional broadcasts too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 01:26:19 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm happy about this. Sean is a great radio guy but tough to listen to on the broadcast. I don't want the play-by-play guy to tell me that "when the Celtics go down 7 in the third quarter, they have a 5-12 record on the road." Nor do I need him to be counting turnovers and reminding me of the team total like he bet his salary on the over/under. He's simply too negative and harps on the weird narratives too often. It's fine when I'm listening on the radio, but it's stressful sensory overload when I'm watching on TV.

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 01:59:18 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just heard on the radio that the next TV play by play guy to replace Mike Gorman will not be Sean Grande but instead Drew Carter?

Awful decision here IMO, Grande is amazing - and to be quite candid i've been enjoying his calls more than Gorman's lately. Not sure how to put it into words but I feel like he handles Scalabrine better where Gorman has more or less been tolerating him the past few seasons.

Either way this is disappointing news to hear this morning, I was really looking forward (and assumed that) Grande was the obvious next guy in line.
Actually, from what I have seen from him, he is really good!! Still super young but has a great voice and is really talented.  He could be the next Great Celtics play by play voice!!

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 02:08:10 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
He’s scheduled to have the Weatern Kentucky - La Tech game tonight on ESPN for those who want to get a preview of him.

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 02:15:50 PM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I also think Grande is better on radio....

I'll give Drew a chance to win me over....but, call me a homer, I tend to prefer locals or ex-Celtics - true fans of the organization and it's history.

We were spoiled for so long with Mike, Tommy, and Cousy. Don't forget Cous!....who I actually preferred to Mike and thought he had better chemistry with Tommy, obviously being closer friends, ex-teammates, Holy Cross guys.

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I also think Grande is better on radio....

I'll give Drew a chance to win me over....but, call me a homer, I tend to prefer locals or ex-Celtics - true fans of the organization and it's history.

We were spoiled for so long with Mike, Tommy, and Cousy. Don't forget Cous!....who I actually preferred to Mike and thought he had better chemistry with Tommy, obviously being closer friends, ex-teammates, Holy Cross guys.

I think he’s from Minnesota, and at 26, that means KG was the star during his formative years, so perhaps he has more in common with Celtics fans than some might think.

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 03:17:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

I mute all of the national broadcasts (which sucks in the playoffs, especially when there's a weird/controversial call and I have to unmute it), I hope I don't end up doing the same thing with the regional broadcasts too

That’s exactly what I do - sometimes have to turn on the sound to hear what’s happening with a strange call/play.

I do the same with football. Can’t stand the broadcast noise.

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Is this officially Mikes last season? Since moving out West haven't been able to keep up on everything going on. If so, that defiantly moves the needle to get league Pass this year.

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 05:21:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is this officially Mikes last season? Since moving out West haven't been able to keep up on everything going on. If so, that defiantly moves the needle to get league Pass this year.

Yes. This is the last hurrah.  The Celtics are even hosting a Mike Gorman Night in April.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Yes. This is the last hurrah.  The Celtics are even hosting a Mike Gorman Night in April.

Oh man, thanks. I knew if was going to happen soon, but still sucks. End of an era. Lest hope this crew brings home the trophy in his last year.

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2023, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286