Poll

Would you sign Omar Asik this off season ?

Heck yes, he will propel us into the offseason
4 (17.4%)
Maybe, if the price is right
15 (65.2%)
Meh, we can do better. He is overrated
0 (0%)
Not a fan of Asik, he is a bench player on a good team
0 (0%)
Terrible idea. He is an overpaid bum
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Wait and sign Asik?  (Read 5891 times)

Re: Wait and sign Asik?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
NOP gave up a 1st to get Asik, they didn't do that to rent him for a year.

If the resign Asik at just $12 million a year, NO will be over the cap next season if Gordon picks up his player option.  Boston could offer Asik $14 million and still have $7 mil to get offer another free agent before using Rondo's Bird rights to go over the cap and resign him.

This makes me think you don't understand how cap holds work.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
NOP gave up a 1st to get Asik, they didn't do that to rent him for a year.

If the resign Asik at just $12 million a year, NO will be over the cap next season if Gordon picks up his player option.  Boston could offer Asik $14 million and still have $7 mil to get offer another free agent before using Rondo's Bird rights to go over the cap and resign him.

This makes me think you don't understand how cap holds work.

I think you are the one who is confused.  If NO renounces all their team options, they still have $50 million in salaries for next year.  If Boston renounces all their team options for next season, they have about $38 million in salaries.  Do you somehow think Rondo's cap hold is $12 million more than Asik's?

Mike

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Rondo's cap hold will be 190% of this season's salary.    That's $24.5m, but the maximum for a 9-year veteran is 30% of the cap, so it will actually be less than that.

If the Celtics have $38m in salaries committed for next season and the cap is $67m, then the cap hold for Rondo will be $20.1m.  The Celtics will have $8.9m to offer free agents such as Asik.  If they could retain Rondo for only $15m, that would free up another $5.1m in cap space so that the could give a free agent $14m.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rondo's cap hold will be 190% of this season's salary.    That's $24.5m, but the maximum for a 9-year veteran is 30% of the cap, so it will actually be less than that.

If the Celtics have $38m in salaries committed for next season and the cap is $67m, then the cap hold for Rondo will be $20.1m.  The Celtics will have $8.9m to offer free agents such as Asik.  If they could retain Rondo for only $15m, that would free up another $5.1m in cap space so that the could give a free agent $14m.

Also, not to be beating of the dead horses, but the pelis have Asik's bird rights. They can go over the cap, stay under the lux tax, and retain Asik

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

And everything you just said also applies to the Pells.  Asik's cap hold will prevent them from pursuing any free agents and even if they sign him to a 15 million dollar a year deal, they STILL won't be able to offer anything but their salary exceptions, if they have them.

Boston can, however, resign Rondo and still be offer Asik a free agent deal.  And if the team can sign Rondo to a reasonable deal, that offer could be as much or more than what NO offers.  I do not see what was wrong with my initial point, at least as far as Asik.  I was wrong that Boston would not be able to get an additional FA without renouncing Rondo.

NO can offer Asik more money but, THANKS TO CAP HOLDS, keeping Asik will prevent them from pursuing any other free agents.  Boston, depending on Rondo's deal and when it's agreed to, could make Asik a competitive offer which NO may not feel like matching, especially if they still miss the playoffs even with Asik.

I would think that NO would look to keep Asik and trade one of their high priced guards for something, but that's not this debate.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
The problem with your post is that you said that the Celtics could offer $14m to Asik and sign another free agent for $7m before re-signing Rondo.  I'm still not sure how you arrived at those numbers.  That you seem to be saying you didn't understand that the Celtics would need to renounce Rondo to get the cap space to do so backs up my guess that you didn't understand how cap holds work.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I feel like the Asik boat has sailed.

I would think if we were going to get him, we would've done so by now.