Author Topic: Bobby Portis  (Read 9469 times)

Re: Bobby Portis
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just for reference, list of NBA All Stars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_All-Stars

Look at the guys with 10 and plus.  And you'd pass on one of those guys (supposedly Okafor) with the first pick in your draft?  How many is Towns making?  11? 20?

That's hilarious.  Sorry to keep the aside up, I just think it applies to Portis too.  Lets hold our horses on these guys.

Not that I wouldn't take him possibly with one of our picks, but lets not think he's the next coming either.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:17:19 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Side note: I really like Kevin O Conner's work, but he's becoming one of these draft guys that overrates all the prospects impact in the league.  He says Okafor is a ten time All Star but not the first pick?  You get Portis and oh sure immediately just trade two promising young bigs we have (Olynyk and Sullinger) to make time for some unproven guy who didn't exactly light it up in college?  A guy who has some potential but clearly could be a bust because he is not an athlete?

I like these guys but that's too much and a big time overreaction.  We need multiple bigs in a rotation and until these guys play in the NBA lets slow down.   I didn't know unproven rookies come in and play 48 mpg.  Lets just say I'm glad he doesn't run the Celtics.

It's like Mel Kiper or Chad Ford, both who I'm sure are glad people don't go back and re evaluate their work very often down the line.  The weathermen of the sports world.
Fair post, can only speak for my self and know that I'm definetly guilty of thinking that new players and better players are the same thing, alot like Kevin O'Connor does but I'd also admit that since the moment we drafted Olynyk I've been trying to drive Sullinger out of Boston. Not that I regret either pick at all but I've just always found them to be just too redundant for my taste.

I don't view it as giving up on 2 talented bigs but rather freeing up a spot for someone else too succeed. Portis doesn't need to come in and set the world on fire. Even if we trade Sully or Oylynk I'm not advocating that the spot inherently belongs to Portis. He'd be the 16th pick we wouldn't owe him anything in terms of playing time that spot could be needed for a trade of FA.

But I think Portis has potential to be a Millsap or David West a solid wing opperating big man who can defend his position. Unlike with Sullinger, I'm not going to cringe when he takes jumpers because that's his main weapon instead of his "I tried hard last possession, I'm shooting a 3 this time" shot.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
As for what Portis said - blah, blah, blah.  Most players say that stuff now ::).  It's essentially the equivalent of coaches and gms always saying that 'we couldn't believe that so-and-so was still available' and 'we got the steal of the draft.' ::) Don't tel me - show me.

Before you judge Bobby Portis, read this ESPN story about his background:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12092388/arkansas-bobby-portis-overcomes-poverty-violence-prosper

Same background and character type as Jimmy Butler.  And his Draftexpress profile is eerily similar to what was written about Butler on the same site in 2011.  Is there a Celtics' fan anywhere that doesn't wish Butler was wearing green?

Brandon Bass won't be returning this fall ... give his minutes to Bobby Portis and watch what happens.  I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds expectations.

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Side note: I really like Kevin O Conner's work, but he's becoming one of these draft guys that overrates all the prospects impact in the league.  He says Okafor is a ten time All Star but not the first pick?  You get Portis and oh sure immediately just trade two promising young bigs we have (Olynyk and Sullinger) to make time for some unproven guy who didn't exactly light it up in college?  A guy who has some potential but clearly could be a bust because he is not an athlete?

I like these guys but that's too much and a big time overreaction.  We need multiple bigs in a rotation and until these guys play in the NBA lets slow down.   I didn't know unproven rookies come in and play 48 mpg.  Lets just say I'm glad he doesn't run the Celtics.

It's like Mel Kiper or Chad Ford, both who I'm sure are glad people don't go back and re evaluate their work very often down the line.  The weathermen of the sports world.

What are you talking about, people go back and re-evaluate Chad Ford's work all the time.  As long as by "people" you mean Chad Ford.