Author Topic: Fox Sports: Is Upshaw the Answer to Boston's Biggest Problem?  (Read 15555 times)

Re: Fox Sports: Is Upshaw the Answer to Boston's Biggest Problem?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
And Chad Ford has never been wrong or changed his mock drafts post draft.

I think the kid has talent and he can block shots but he has some serious holes in his game aside from his other issues.

I hate how the draft has become a game of picking the next "steal".  His play in college was decent but he couldn't even dedicate to that knowing what was on the line. 

I hope he gets it...I hope we can snag a talent like him in the second round. I just don't believe in gambling with pick 16.  If I got a $1 in my pocket and I'm hungry and thirsty, I'm gonna buy a cheese burger and drink some water...I'm not gonna buy a scratch ticket to try and win enough to buy a coke with my burger.

Last thing...it's safe for guys like Ford to say "he's a lottery talent if not for...." Because he knows nobody will take that gamble and the odds are stacked against the guy ever becoming what was expected.

See, this is bad analogy. Because we have $17 dollars on our pocket. It's absolutely the perfect time to swing for the fences here, as we have a TON more assets in case this one pans out.

My analogy is this. Yes, I am gambling my $1 to get a drink with my meal, I could lose that dollar for nothing, but guess what, tomorrow I have $2 more dollars. But here's the thing, I could win, and if I do, not only am I drinking today, but I may very well not need a drink for the next day or two, because that drink I just won, could very well make satisfied for a long time.

I get that you like him but your swinging for the fences with a pitcher as a batter.  You swing for the fences with later picks and try to get someone useful or tradeable at 16. You are only seeing the upside of doing this, What if he doesn't work out and you missed a better player?
The reward has to outweigh the risk by a sizable margin.  We aren't talkkng about the next Hakeem because Hakeem would still be top 10 with some "issues".

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I think the kid has talent and he can block shots but he has some serious holes in his game aside from his other issues.

I hate how the draft has become a game of picking the next "steal".  His play in college was decent but he couldn't even dedicate to that knowing what was on the line. 

I hope he gets it...I hope we can snag a talent like him in the second round. I just don't believe in gambling with pick 16.  If I got a $1 in my pocket and I'm hungry and thirsty, I'm gonna buy a cheese burger and drink some water...I'm not gonna buy a scratch ticket to try and win enough to buy a coke with my burger.

Last thing...it's safe for guys like Ford to say "he's a lottery talent if not for...." Because he knows nobody will take that gamble and the odds are stacked against the guy ever becoming what was expected.

See, this is bad analogy. Because we have $17 dollars on our pocket. It's absolutely the perfect time to swing for the fences here, as we have a TON more assets in case this one pans out.

My analogy is this. Yes, I am gambling my $1 to get a drink with my meal, I could lose that dollar for nothing, but guess what, tomorrow I have $2 more dollars. But here's the thing, I could win, and if I do, not only am I drinking today, but I may very well not need a drink for the next day or two, because that drink I just won, could very well make satisfied for a long time.

I get that you like him but your swinging for the fences with a pitcher as a batter.  You swing for the fences with later picks and try to get someone useful or tradeable at 16. You are only seeing the upside of doing this, What if he doesn't work out and you missed a better player?
The reward has to outweigh the risk by a sizable margin.  We aren't talkkng about the next Hakeem because Hakeem would still be top 10 with some "issues".

I feel like it is going into a supermarket when you need to get some bananas to make some banana bread, but you notice the peaches are on sale. The peaches are a great deal, and there is some common ingredients between peach pie and banana bread. You quickly scoop up the peaches and rush home to your house high on adrenaline. You then realize that in your haste the door has been left open and your cat is now out roaming around the neighborhood. As you frantically search for your cat mr pendelton, making any sort of tasty treat falls far into the back of your mind. Finally, after an hour and a half of frantic searching and talking with all your neighbors you return home feeling defeated. Just then Mr. Pendelton runs up the driveway with a bird in his mouth. You are too overjoyed to yell at him for bringing the bird back and just happy to see him. You scoop him up and bring him inside the house and forget all about making peach pie or banana bread for the day. This is why you don't take Upshaw at 16th.

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42

I feel like it is going into a supermarket when you need to get some bananas to make some banana bread, but you notice the peaches are on sale. The peaches are a great deal, and there is some common ingredients between peach pie and banana bread. You quickly scoop up the peaches and rush home to your house high on adrenaline. You then realize that in your haste the door has been left open and your cat is now out roaming around the neighborhood. As you frantically search for your cat mr pendelton, making any sort of tasty treat falls far into the back of your mind. Finally, after an hour and a half of frantic searching and talking with all your neighbors you return home feeling defeated. Just then Mr. Pendelton runs up the driveway with a bird in his mouth. You are too overjoyed to yell at him for bringing the bird back and just happy to see him. You scoop him up and bring him inside the house and forget all about making peach pie or banana bread for the day. This is why you don't take Upshaw at 16th.

But now you have a bird for dinner and a pie for dessert so that's gotta be worth at least pick #3

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I just think the potential rewards are worth the risks with Upshaw, especially with the later picks of 28 and 33. I mean, what else are you going to get at that range? Perhaps a middle of the road bench guy? At least with Upshaw you at least have the chance of a really good prospect. If he doesn't pan out, oh well. You're only out a late first round or a second round pick.

Now I'm a little more hesitant to pick him at 16, but I could see the argument behind it since nobody else really "wows" me in our range.

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:40 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I wouldn't mind Upshaw at 33 unless Cliff Alexander is there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've always said that assuming his heart is healthy enough to play, we absolutely have to take him at #16.

That size, with an elite skill and a ton of upside at #16 is very rare. I get the red flags about him being dismissed and stuff, I say so what? Work with him, have the team make sure he's on the right track. His talent level and what he could pan out to be will be well worth the investment.

He's not going to last in the 2nd round. And even if he does, what's stopping him from doing the KJ McDaniels route and just sign for one year while proving he belongs? #16 is not a big of an investment, and there's a ton of upside. Chances are there will be no one of his caliber, potential wise, on that spot, take him there before someone else does.
It's hard to get kicked out of 2 D-1 programs. What happens whn a knucklehead like that gets paid?

I guess we have to wait and see, won't we? The big question is, do you not trust the team enough that they won't do their jobs to make sure he doesn't stray away from the right path?

Say what anyone want's, he went to rehab and hired a life coach. He's doing something on his part, something. And even if we pick him in the 2nd round, we're paying him anyway. An extra guaranteed year won't make a difference if he chooses to throw his life away. We'll just have to do our part in keeping him in check, letting him know that there's a great career and life ahead of him if he keeps his focus.

And what's the downside of swinging for the fences and miss? Well, it's only just three years of about $1.4 - $1.5 million per year of a cap hit, NOT A LOT. There's really not a ton from that #16 spot that we know with upside as high as Upshaw. 

And what's the reward if he turns it around, keeps his life and professional career on track and pans out to his potential? I'd let you guys answer that.
You have to weigh the risk vs. the reward. You are enamored with the reward, but not giving the risk equal rating. After he got kicked off of two teams, for what is in all likelihood being an addict the risk that he gives you nothing is great.

The risk isn't just that if he doesn't work out it is a 1.5 MM cap hit, it is the 1.5 MM cap hit plus the opportunity cost of passing on someone that is far more likely to give us a rotation minutes in the future.

As to his potential, people are greatly exaggerating it. Before getting kicked off his team this year pundits were talking about him as anywhere from the 5th best center in his class. He did block a lot of shots, but he played in a system that had him stand under the hoop and wait for the ball to come to him. In the NBA with the 3 second rule, he is going to have a ton of trouble guarding on switches. The biggest knocks on him are falling asleep on defense and laziness in the pick and roll (that and a lack of offensive game). He is a good shotblocking prospect but not one that you would burn the 16th pick on with all his red flags.

Why on earth would you pick someone at 16 who according to pretty much every piece of information out there will be available at 28 and probably even at 33. I understand that we need a rim protector, but drafting him early when we could get more value by drafting him later and going with someone else at 16 is foolish. There are reporters who have mentioned that he might not even get drafted!

I am fine with him at 33, but picking him with our top pick to watch him get kicked out of the league in a year or two is not a smart move. Luckily Ainge is way too smart to make that type of mistake.

With all due respect, Evan, but I am looking at risk/reward. I never said he was low risk, but I look at him as a talent we can mold and we can keep, not a guy who would be out of the league. I really believe he's worth gambling our top pick and here's my reasons why...

1.) While it could mean we pass on a rotation guy in the future, keep in mind that we still have A TON of 1st round picks 5 years. We can afford using the #16 on Upshaw and go risk/reward as we will have many more chips to acquire that "rotation guy" in case we needed one.

2.) Part of why we can also afford gambling on Upshaw is his potential. No, I'm not exaggerating it. He is an elite shot blocker in the college level, that's an elite skills set that translates in the NBA. He has the physical tools. He's long, he has solid strength, he's mobile and he's young. Basically, he has the elite skill set, and you can mold him into a much better player because he's physically capable of developing into one. Also, as per Draftexpress.com, he's a good finisher around the paint despite being raw. So with physical tools and a good touch, he can not only develop into a great defensive player, but he can develop a solid inside game as well. I don't think anyone is exaggerating his upside at all. He's got the tools physically to be a good player, a way better player than anyone at #16 that's available except him.

3.) And as for why I'm advocating drafting him at #16, it's really because there's a BIG CHANCE he won't last at 28. Yes, I believe that despite everybody is saying he's going to drop in the second round. Why?

- Dallas pick is #21. They have no Center as Tyson Chandler is going to Free Agency.
- Blazers pick at #23. They have no Center as Robin Lopez is going to Free Agency.
- Grizzlies pick at #25. Both their Centers are going to Free Agency.
- Lakers pick at #27. While they may pick Okafor or Towns, as of now they have no Center of significance.

Those are at least THREE teams that pick before us that could make the same gamble on Upshaw as I'm advocating. Then add to it...

- Washington pick at #19. Nene and Gortat are in their 30's. Could be a project Center.
- Bulls pick at #22. Joakim Noah is 30 and is hurt most of the time. Pau is turning 36 and they have no real backup Center that can contribute.
- Spurs pick at #26, who I believe has the perfect structure for him to go, with a perfect situation as Tim Duncan is on his way out, and Tiago Splitter is 30.

That's about 6 legitimate teams that could pick him and the pick will make sense. And why would they gamble on him, you ask? Draftexpress says this...

Nevertheless, Upshaw's talent will likely lead a team to give him another opportunity, as players with his physical tools are rare and coveted commodities in today's NBA.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3dGOWcJfQ
http://www.draftexpress.com

I understand that most mocks have him in the second round. Let's just say I won't be surprised if he gets taken into the first. There's upside on that kid, so you take him before anyone else does. Because not only he has the potential to be a good player, he fills a desperate need for our squad. Just work on his red flags, put the staff into work. I don't think it's really that hard to make him realize that if he screws this up, his NBA career is done.
If you believe that he is a threat to get picked starting at 21 then you either trade up from 28 or trade back from 16. I don't think we have to worry about teams with a need for a center now to pick him, since he isn't going to be ready for a while. Right now he is capable of standing at the rim and blocking shots. His pick and roll defense is not good, he doesn't make good rotations and rarely boxes out. If he were ready to play now with the character concerns then it would be one thing, but he is far away from being ready to play NBA minutes.

Since he is not ready now he will take years of development to get where he needs to be. With his character concerns it's less likely he develops like he needs to. That is the problem with his potential, it is exceedingly unlikely he reaches it because of how far he needs to go and what he will need to do to get there.

I'm not sure from what he has shown now he will have the highest upside of anyone available at 16, but even if he is the development it will take to get there is less likely to happen due to him being an addict. I'd rather have Looney, Oubre or RHJ at 16 because they have elite athleticism and length (Looney less so  with the athleticism). While they also have a similarly long way to go as Upshaw, it is considerably more likely they get there.

The draft is not just about gambling on talent it is about gambling on whether talent can develop. With Ushaw the likelihood that gamble pays off is minuscule.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
There are other ways to fill the need. One of the second-tier FAs, if Danny can't get any of the top tier here. E.g., Koufos can defend even if he's not a big blocker.

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
At 33, with a non guaranteed contract i think he would be perfect.

What makes you think he would agree to sign a non-guaranteed contract?

Umm.... because it would be a 2nd round pick?  And that's the only way he'd get to play in the NBA?

I suppose he could go play in Europe or China. So, yeah, technically he wouldn't _have_ to sign.

I expect that he would (in that scenario), though.

He might sign a non-guaranteed contract, but he might not.  If he refuses and went to Europe, he wouldn't be the first player to do so.

If I wanted to gamble on Upshaw, maybe I would see if he were willing to not come to training camp and instead go directly to the D-League, playing on a D-League salary and not counting as a roster spot.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If he doesn't pan out, oh well. You're only out a late first round or a second round pick.

I think that poorly-run teams tend to be the ones who undervalue these assets.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I've always said that assuming his heart is healthy enough to play, we absolutely have to take him at #16.

That size, with an elite skill and a ton of upside at #16 is very rare. I get the red flags about him being dismissed and stuff, I say so what? Work with him, have the team make sure he's on the right track. His talent level and what he could pan out to be will be well worth the investment.

He's not going to last in the 2nd round. And even if he does, what's stopping him from doing the KJ McDaniels route and just sign for one year while proving he belongs? #16 is not a big of an investment, and there's a ton of upside. Chances are there will be no one of his caliber, potential wise, on that spot, take him there before someone else does.

Respectfully, I find this really ridiculous. If he was a model student athlete with no heart issues is really highly debatable whether he would get picked 16th. He had one good half season of basketball primarily against weaker OOC opponents. I really think you are letting the mystique of the unknown make him see better than he is.

This is a quote from Chad Ford.

Might be the best rim protector in the draft. A lottery talent. But the off-the-court issues are serious. More serious than teams initially thought. Everyone is pulling for him to get his life turned around, but I think there are some serious reservations from NBA teams about drafting him in the first round.

That was posted on an another thread a few weeks ago.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=78248.0

One of the best draft scouts in the country, and a respectable one suggested that outside the issues, he's a lottery talent. So I think it's ridiculous that you find it ridiculous that outside of the red flags, Upshaw is not good value at #16.
How can you say outside the red flags though? If the red flags make him 75% less likely to reach his lottery potential? His addiction and off the court issues are so bad that the draft experts refuse to even mention them. They are so bad that they shocked gms.

BTW Chad Ford loves to say a player is a lottery talent if not for this one thing. It is a lot less impressive praise when you realize he says something similar about someone who doesn't get drafted in the lottery almost every year. I'll pull up a list of times he made such a statement later.
I'll give you one from this draft... Chris Walker.  Ford says he has lottery talent but he will go undrafted because he sucks at basketball.  Doesn't know how to play.

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Upshaw has heart issues and has suspended workouts.  Has this changed?
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
If he doesn't pan out, oh well. You're only out a late first round or a second round pick.

When you have as many assets as we do, i.e. both late first and second found picks, you can afford to take these types of gambles. I think it's more in line with that line of reasoning than undervaluing assets.

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

When you have as many assets as we do, i.e. both late first and second found picks, you can afford to take these types of gambles. I think it's more in line with that line of reasoning than undervaluing assets.

Having the ability to take risks doesn't mean you should take stupid risks.

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

How is it a stupid risk to take a chance on a player with as much upside as Upshaw over other players whose ceilings are more than likely bench players at best? Do you not agree that Upshaw's ceiling is much, much greater than any other prospect in that range, i.e. 28-33?

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

How is it a stupid risk to take a chance on a player with as much upside as Upshaw over other players whose ceilings are more than likely bench players at best? Do you not agree that Upshaw's ceiling is much, much greater than any other prospect in that range, i.e. 28-33?

I disagree with your belief that his ceiling is much greater than any other prospect who might be available in that range.