Author Topic: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...  (Read 28907 times)

Re: Michael Phelps caught with drugs...
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Just throwing in my .02 cents here.

Athletes/Celebrities being bad role models I always thought was an overrated arguement when it comes to the effects on kids.  A kids mother or father should be the example that they learn to live by, yes kids will always be exposed to negative things by the media including athletes, music artists, and movie stars, but I think the stuff thats more right in front of them should be the main concern, such as the parents, and also what kind of people they hang around and what their interests are.  If a parent lets a kid model his life after someone who has no moral obligation to the kids it is a mistake.

I do however, agree with parents using an athlete as an example of the negative effects of drugs.

I got my drug talk from my dad by him shoving a big front page headline of Dexter Manley getting arrested for cocaine use in front of my face and him saying see what happens when you do drugs!  Nothing good can come out of it.  At the time Dexter Manley was both me and my dads favorite player on the redskins, along with Darrell Green, and from the experience, I didnt take away that it was ok to do drugs b/c Dexter Manley does it, instead I became scared of drugs b/c of how my dad reacted to it.

What was the end result?  I still ended up trying pot in high school b/c my friends were doing it and I wanted to see what was so good about it, but I did it because I wanted to, not because it was the thing to do, and I stopped because I wanted to, without caring what my friends would think.  Again, I think the primary concern of parents should be the example that the parents themselves are setting and also the crowd your son or daughter is choosing to hang out with.  If you raise your kids to think for themselves, do what they think is right, and put them in the mindset that people should hang out with them for who they are and not because they do something cool, then youre doing a good job.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:33:08 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
A clarification. Although I don't want to have to explain to my son that this guy the media portrayed as a national hero was caught using drugs, I am not as concerned about him as others. I can have a nice talk with him about all of these points on here and I am sure he will turn out just fine. What about those kids who are in a single parent home who never hardly see their parent? What about the kid who lives with his grandparents that doesn't have the same level of example? We should really be just as concerned with the "other" kids out there who are growing up in environments where they don't have good role models other than athletes. As much as you'd like to pretend that they do, many don't other than the stars they see on TV. They are future member of society that will be shaping our countries direction and the environment where our grandchildren will be raised. Who is going to have this discussion with them?!

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A clarification. Although I don't want to have to explain to my son that this guy the media portrayed as a national hero was caught using drugs, I am not as concerned about him as others. I can have a nice talk with him about all of these points on here and I am sure he will turn out just fine. What about those kids who are in a single parent home who never hardly see their parent? What about the kid who lives with his grandparents that doesn't have the same level of example? We should really be just as concerned with the "other" kids out there who are growing up in environments where they don't have good role models other than athletes. As much as you'd like to pretend that they do, many don't other than the stars they see on TV. They are future member of society that will be shaping our countries direction and the environment where our grandchildren will be raised. Who is going to have this discussion with them?!

EJPLAY , just curious what kind of music do you listen to you ? because I can guarantee that just about anyone you name has smoked weed at some point in their life. It's no different then an athlete .

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not sure what you do in your life, however no. I don't do these things. I don't intentionally try and "get away" with things if I can. Not how I choose to live my life. My character is worth more than a few dollars extra on these things you mentioned. Am I perfect, of course not. But I do try to follow the laws and expect others to do the same.

And I will argue over and over with you about drugs not effecting people. It is statistically and factually not correct. Trying to get kids to live their lives without feeling like they need to get a false sense of reality to escape should be a goal of everyone.

My morals are not at all at odds with anything. I know where I stand and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. So does everyone even if it isn't "convenient" for them always.

I sincerely doubt you've never speeded or done any of the other things on that list, but I'll take you for your word on it. 

As for drugs "not affecting people", I've never argued that for a second.  First, "drugs" is way too general - clearly harder drugs like crack, heroin, and meth do have significant negative effects.  And marijuana use does seem to slow some people down or sap their ambition, though that's correlational evidence at best and anecdotal at worst. 

But to say the statistical and factual evidence shows marijuana has strong negative effects, or that it's worse than tobacco or alcohol, is absolutely incorrect, because it's simply not there.  Multiple presidential commissions have shown it not to be the case and have been ignored - Google "Shafer Report" for more info. 

Pot has also been shown to not increase lung cancer risk, and possibly even to have a mild preventive effect:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html  - and this was a government-funded study that fully expected and sought to find increased risk.

There is also evidence that marijuana may actually prevent Alzheimer's http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm.  This is still in an early phase of research, however. 

The best negative finding you'll be able to track down on marijuana is some evidence of temporary short-term memory and attention deficits in extremely high (~20 joints per day) users.http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol11N3/MarijMemory.html

So, not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but I would really like to hear how you know personal marijuana consumption is morally wrong.  Bear in mind that "because it's illegal" isn't a sound response, because it's circular reasoning. 

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I dont know why people are concerned with what is better then what or what is worse then what.

The problem here is that a young individual who is in the public spotlight decided to show his lack of respect for the law and was caught on tape.  It doesnt matter if you think alcohol is better or worse.  one is legal one isnt.  he was caught breaking the law.  its pretty simple.

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Guess what?   I care about him getting caught with weed just about as much as I care about some dude who swims fast.    Big whoop.  Phelps is boring.  If this destroys his career, so be it.

I'm with Bill Simmons on this.... the multiple swimming medals are ridiculous.  Who cares if the fastest swimmer can also swim backwards fast and swim the butterfly fast?  What's the point?  They don't have olympics events for running backwards or skipping... Simmons believed Usain Bolt was a more impressive athlete.

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I dont know why people are concerned with what is better then what or what is worse then what.

The problem here is that a young individual who is in the public spotlight decided to show his lack of respect for the law and was caught on tape.  It doesnt matter if you think alcohol is better or worse.  one is legal one isnt.  he was caught breaking the law.  its pretty simple.

So where were all the people in an uproar about signing James Posey a month after he got a DUI last year?That is breaking the law and I bet your kids were  big fans of his when he was on the team. He made a bigger mistake then Phelps IMO because he put other people's lives in danger, but I bet you still rooted for him when he was on the team didn't you?

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

So this is no worse than a speeding ticket, right?  If it's "that simple" and disrespecting the law is the real transgression, then breaking the law is breaking the law, and both are equivalent. 

And TP to Rondo for the DUI thing - sports fans shrug off a DUI if no one gets hurt, but get seen with some pot in someone's apartment, and out come the torches and pitchforks.  I really don't understand it.

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
not only am I unimpressed with Phelps as a human being and his "multiple gold medals", but I'm unimpressed with the records he set.

Everyone knows that those world records were a result of those new speedo swimsuits (that should have been banned) and the pool in Beijing, which was known to be the fastest pool ever.   

Lets just give Usaine Bolt a jet pack and introduce a few more jogging events like skipping and backwards hopping.

DOWN WITH PHELPS!!

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18

Seriously, think of how many more kids will die from smoking marijuana after seeing Michael Phelps do it.  There's blood on your hands, Phelps!
haha, classic!

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Great moral example to set for kids. It is fine as long as you don't get caught. If that is your opinion then I sure hope you never have kids. What an immature ignorant and selfish thing to say... I'm guessing those kind of things slip out of people's mouths after smoking weed... Loser attitude.

lol...wow...cry me a river...its weed... its not going to effect your [dang] sons life if Michael phelps smokes it...you better never let your son out of your sights, because theres things that go on in this world that are much worse every second of every day...theres good people who smoke pot...get over it

You really think PP and KG dont smoke it? you in denial boy
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Not sure what you do in your life, however no. I don't do these things. I don't intentionally try and "get away" with things if I can. Not how I choose to live my life. My character is worth more than a few dollars extra on these things you mentioned. Am I perfect, of course not. But I do try to follow the laws and expect others to do the same.

And I will argue over and over with you about drugs not effecting people. It is statistically and factually not correct. Trying to get kids to live their lives without feeling like they need to get a false sense of reality to escape should be a goal of everyone.

My morals are not at all at odds with anything. I know where I stand and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. So does everyone even if it isn't "convenient" for them always.

I sincerely doubt you've never speeded or done any of the other things on that list, but I'll take you for your word on it. 

As for drugs "not affecting people", I've never argued that for a second.  First, "drugs" is way too general - clearly harder drugs like crack, heroin, and meth do have significant negative effects.  And marijuana use does seem to slow some people down or sap their ambition, though that's correlational evidence at best and anecdotal at worst. 

But to say the statistical and factual evidence shows marijuana has strong negative effects, or that it's worse than tobacco or alcohol, is absolutely incorrect, because it's simply not there.  Multiple presidential commissions have shown it not to be the case and have been ignored - Google "Shafer Report" for more info. 

Pot has also been shown to not increase lung cancer risk, and possibly even to have a mild preventive effect:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html  - and this was a government-funded study that fully expected and sought to find increased risk.

There is also evidence that marijuana may actually prevent Alzheimer's http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm.  This is still in an early phase of research, however. 

The best negative finding you'll be able to track down on marijuana is some evidence of temporary short-term memory and attention deficits in extremely high (~20 joints per day) users.http://www.drugabuse.gov/NIDA_Notes/NNVol11N3/MarijMemory.html

So, not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but I would really like to hear how you know personal marijuana consumption is morally wrong.  Bear in mind that "because it's illegal" isn't a sound response, because it's circular reasoning. 

Doubt all you want, but no intentionally speeding to try to get away with it or any other thing on that list. Sorry to disappoint you that not everyone is out there breaking the law like it sounds you must be.

DRUGS... ALL DRUGS cause people to make bad choices. This includes marijuana. There's a reason there is a term "pot-head". I have many friends in school that ended up later in life wasting away due to their constant need to get high. Trying to sell it as no big deal isn't true. It ALSO is against the law. That's what we are discussing here. People saying it is fine as long as they don't get caught. No wonder our morals as a nation are on the downturn.

And as far as the DUI thing goes. I am on record on here as saying that if a person commits a DUI then they should have their license removed. Permanently. Do it again and they are in jail for a long time. Go look back and see for yourself. I for one wouldn't keep a player on my team who committed a DUI for their reckless endangerment of others lives.

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Great moral example to set for kids. It is fine as long as you don't get caught. If that is your opinion then I sure hope you never have kids. What an immature ignorant and selfish thing to say... I'm guessing those kind of things slip out of people's mouths after smoking weed... Loser attitude.

lol...wow...cry me a river...its weed... its not going to effect your [dang] sons life if Michael phelps smokes weed...you better never let your son out of your sights, because theres things that go on in this world that are much worse every second of every day...theres good people who smoke pot...get over it

It might not, but it sure may effect the life of that guy who is going to carjack you to get some more drugs... I wish you luck...

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

lol...wow...cry me a river...its weed... its not going to effect your [dang] sons life if Michael phelps smokes weed...you better never let your son out of your sights, because theres things that go on in this world that are much worse every second of every day...theres good people who smoke pot...get over it

It might not, but it sure may effect the life of that guy who is going to carjack you to get some more drugs... I wish you luck...

Haha, you're brainwashed...we're arent talking about crack or heroin there guy
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Doubt all you want, but no intentionally speeding to try to get away with it or any other thing on that list. Sorry to disappoint you that not everyone is out there breaking the law like it sounds you must be.

DRUGS... ALL DRUGS cause people to make bad choices. This includes marijuana. There's a reason there is a term "pot-head". I have many friends in school that ended up later in life wasting away due to their constant need to get high. Trying to sell it as no big deal isn't true. It ALSO is against the law. That's what we are discussing here. People saying it is fine as long as they don't get caught. No wonder our morals as a nation are on the downturn.

And as far as the DUI thing goes. I am on record on here as saying that if a person commits a DUI then they should have their license removed. Permanently. Do it again and they are in jail for a long time. Go look back and see for yourself. I for one wouldn't keep a player on my team who committed a DUI for their reckless endangerment of others lives.

You said "statistical and factual" evidence.  I gave you some, now I'm waiting for yours.  Why, using statistical and factual evidence, is personal marijuana use immoral?