Author Topic: Luck retires.  (Read 7328 times)

Re: Luck retires.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Better to leave earlier and sober than late and drunk.
Good luck, Luck

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I am practically never a “fan” of other teams’ players and Luck is no exception. But I did fear him to some extent and that is as big a compliment as I can give to an opposing player.   He was good and seems like a good guy.   I hated the “suck for Luck” thing — thought it was an embarrassment for the Colts and I despised the idea that they were going to bounce back quickly post—Peyton.   But it didn’t work out for them and I guess I’m more indifferent than anything about it. 

I am very glad for him actually if he just had enough of the pain and wanted to end up in one piece for his family.  Nothing wrong with that. 

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
What goes around comes around for that disgusting organization and franchise.

As for Luck, wish him the best and great health down the road. Easily the most likeable guy on that team (aside from Brissett).

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Wow, the Indy hate is still strong. Am I missing something with the “suck for Luck” theory? Peyton Manning missed the entire 2011 season due to a legit neck injury, while still a member of the Colts. There was concern Peyton would never play again because of the required surgery. It was just a coincidence that Luck was in that upcoming draft following the 2011 season. Also, are we still complaining about deflategate? If a team feels an opponent cheated, then they should bring attention to it. Like the old saying goes, if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying, and it’s only cheating until you get caught.

As for Luck, I’m shocked and sad to see him retire, as he showed he could be a great quarterback. However, the thing that’s most shocking is the timing of his decision to do it two weeks before the season opener. I believe he only practiced 3 times this offseason and there was a recent report that Luck informed the team of his potential retirement two weeks ago. At that point, I’m not sure there was much the Colts team could do, other than to be optimistic and supportive for Luck. I just hope, this does not lead to the cries by the media for Colin Kaepernick to be entitled to get a starting job on the Colts.

In both cases with Manning and Luck, the Colts had great quarterbacks that still had years ahead of them to still play. If you’re the team, how do you sign another starting quarterback when both Manning or Luck were still on the team and taking up such a large part of the cap? The logical scenario is to just use the backups in house that already knew the system and are under reasonable contracts.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good for him.

Sucks for Indy fans, but they're kinda awful anyhow.

I love following the Pats.  I enjoy watching NFL football.

But it's a game that destroys the players, and many of them don't get adequate support after they finish their careers, despite how much money they make, the growing awareness of CTE, and the applicability of workers' comp laws in most states.

Honestly, as much as I participate in the national consumption of NFL content (fantasy football etc) and enjoy it, I recognize it would probably be a good thing if the NFL withered away and died off, or changed drastically.  It's a bad habit we have as a country.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain