Author Topic: Tommy Points  (Read 8279 times)

Tommy Points
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
I have searched but can not seem to find an answer to how the Tommy Points work. I know I have the option to give them - what sort of post typically gets a TP? - but am unclear if I have an unlimited supply, or does the supply need be replenished? How? Etc.

I hope this isn't the wrong place for his question (though I suspect it might be).

Re: Tommy Points
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
c'mon man you know the deal-- you see someone make a hustle play you loudly proclaim TOMMY PT and award it on the spot. 

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
c'mon man you know the deal-- you see someone make a hustle play you loudly proclaim TOMMY PT and award it on the spot.
Give that man a TOMMY POINT!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Give that man a TOMMY POINT!

back at ya, Koz.  one for the new guy too.

long live #15

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I made a thread about this once and the conclusion I came to is that if I don't get one every 15 posts or so, it means I'm not being funny and I need to take a few plays off.  But I'm neurotic so that rule probably doesn't apply to everyone.  Anyways, TP!

Also it's too bad that they don't mean anything anymore because a lot of posters bet their TPs on the 2010 Finals and lost them all. 

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Also it's too bad that they don't mean anything anymore because a lot of posters bet their TPs on the 2010 Finals and lost them all.

Spoiler:  They didn't mean anything before then either. 

Giving and receiving TPs has always been a nice gesture, but the total doesn't matter, there's a lot of ways to have it higher or lower than it "should be".

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Spoiler:  They didn't mean anything before then either. 

Giving and receiving TPs has always been a nice gesture, but the total doesn't matter, there's a lot of ways to have it higher or lower than it "should be".

Maybe the way you post.  To me, posting on Celticsblog is like playing a first person shooter and I need to constantly be concerned about my K/D ratio, or in this case, comments:TP ratio.

;)

I'm just horribly over competitive, don't mind me.  TP 

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
I appreciate the comments, but I'm more interested in the "giving" vs. the receiving answers. Is there a limited amount to give? If so, how does one replenish?

Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I appreciate the comments, but I'm more interested in the "giving" vs. the receiving answers. Is there a limited amount to give? If so, how does one replenish?

Thanks.

I think you can give one per poster per hour, but there is no limit on the amount you can give overall.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
Thank you, Redz.

Was this info on here somewhere and I missed it?

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thank you, Redz.

Was this info on here somewhere and I missed it?

Not sure if it's documented anywhere
Yup

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Thanks.
tps are like kisses. you are free to give them to anyone you want for whatever reason.  ;D the only constraint is that if you try to give a second tp to someone in less than an hour, "the cb gods" wouldn't let you.

try it! give them out by the bushelful if you wish. i just gave everyone here one.

personally, i usually give tps for posts that show really good insights, homework, or wit. though sometimes i give slaminking tps because his hamster avatar is super cute.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just one of the things that sets CelticsBlog apart from most others.

Silverscreenandroll (Lakers Blog), doesn't have anything like this, and if they did - what in heavens would they call it?

Magic Points? Kobe points? West points?

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I made a thread about this once and the conclusion I came to is that if I don't get one every 15 posts or so, it means I'm not being funny and I need to take a few plays off.  But I'm neurotic so that rule probably doesn't apply to everyone.  Anyways, TP!

We bet them two or three seasons in-a-row, as I recall, (I lost almost 7K in all), but their "devaluization" was one of the best things to happen ... they had become a sore subject on many fronts, and it turned them back into something fun, and more a show of a kindness than anything else, which is what their initial purpose had been anyway, I believe. I kicked a bit at the time, but it was a great move. I think Tommy would approve also. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Just one of the things that sets CelticsBlog apart from most others.

Silverscreenandroll (Lakers Blog), doesn't have anything like this, and if they did - what in heavens would they call it?

Magic Points? Kobe points? West points?

their point system would be called free throws.  Because thats the point system the NBA gives them when they want them to win a game 7 of an NBA finals.
Greg