Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15474 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think what Droopdog7 is saying is that Brown is not an untouchable.... not like Tatum

Considering the surplus in the wing position and deficiency in the post position .... especially since this could be Horford last season...  something to think about

When it comes to the draft, I think Danny has earned the right to be trusted. I dont think Brown for Bamba will happen but I wouldnt be shocked either.  Heck Danny after a bold move like this could trade Kyrie for Leonard. Cant be a surprise to anybody

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
We have the picks and players (Tatum and some other obvious ones excluded) to move up anywhere in the draft so teams in the 4-7 range better start gauging on where they think the Memphis, LAC and Sacramento picks may fall next year if they field offers from DA.

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
We aren't trading Brown in a package for Bamba.

I think Bamba will be great and will be great for this team.  We still have the Sac pick, Memphis pick (they may want their own pick back...), LAC pick, our picks, etc. to offer in addition to Rozier, Yabusele, Theis and others who may be desirable.  If that can't get it done, then pass.

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I think Bamba will be great and will be great for this team.  We still have the Sac pick, Memphis pick (they may want their own pick back...), LAC pick, our picks, etc. to offer in addition to Rozier, Yabusele, Theis and others who may be desirable.  If that can't get it done, then pass.

Why would a team trade for such a package for Bamba? This years draft is considered to be much stronger than 2019 draft

Hawks GM would be fired if he did that (role players and uncertain pick for a potential superstar)

For Brown they would listen.

But would Danny go down this route?

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford

Why would a team trade for such a package for Bamba? This years draft is considered to be much stronger than 2019 draft

Hawks GM would be fired if he did that

Not the Hawks, but the Grizzlies might.  The Grizz may even take Marcus Morris back in a deal...

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Beyond the fact that I like Brown better than I like Bamba, the Celtics should not be trading contributing players for prospects.  In the extremely unlikely event that they do trade Brown, it will be for a player (for example Towns), who can come in and play right away.  Not a prospect who may or may not develop in a few years.

That goes for Rozer and most anyone else that is currently part of the main rotation (Morris, Tatum, and so on).  We may consolidate our future draft picks to move up but not players for picks.  It just doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agreed.

Hopefully would not take more than Terry plus a pick or two. Still would rather get MLE vets (Dedmon?) and ring chasers now, and save our picks to use ourselves. But if Danny and co. see a special player slipping into their range I could see it.

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not the Hawks, but the Grizzlies might.  The Grizz may even take Marcus Morris back in a deal...

Then they would be stupid lol

Its like saying trading a top 5 pick (2003 draft) for 3 future 1st (one that is likely in the top 5)

You just dont do it

Rozier and 2019 for 6-7th pick has a better chance to fly

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Hawks GM would be fired if he did that (role players and uncertain pick for a potential superstar)

Meh. This "much stronger" stuff is way overrated when you're talking about a specific pick to a specific team. There's no guarantee someone picking in the 5-10 range prefers the players there over the SAC pick if they can also pick up some other assets.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
Beyond the fact that I like Brown better than I like Bamba, the Celtics should not be trading contributing players for prospects.  In the extremely unlikely event that they do trade Brown, it will be for a player (for example Towns), who can come in and play right away.  Not a prospect who may or may not develop in a few years.

That goes for Rozer and most anyone else that is currently part of the main rotation (Morris, Tatum, and so on).  We may consolidate our future draft picks to move up but not players for picks.  It just doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense when you factor in 1) there are only so many shots and minutes to go around and 2) the salary cap situation.

Morris and Rozier are free agents after next year.  They will both command salaries greater than they are making right now (Rozier's will be much greater).  Smart, if he stays and on a deal rather than the QO, will be making more.  Kyrie will be due for a huge contract after this season, and Jaylen will be eligible for an extension.  For salary cap management, moving Rozier and Morris (along with picks) for Bamba will reduce the logjam and be better for team salary and talent on the team starting in 2019-2020.

Is it ideal for next year? No.  I'd be fine running them all back next year, but then you don't get value back for Rozier and Morris and can lose both for nothing potentially.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The things Bamba can do is impressive. You know about his ridiculous wingspan right?

He was not only the best shot blocker in the country last season, but racked up rebounds and steals.  He can also guard out to the perimeter.   Has a functional jump shot out to the 3 point line (needs to improve)

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford

Then they would be stupid lol

Its like saying trading a top 5 pick (2003 draft) for 3 future 1st (one that is likely in the top 5)

You just dont do it

Rozier and 2019 for 6-7th pick has a better chance to fly

It all depends on the team's evaluation of the players likely to be available this year and the players who will likely be in the draft next year.  If a team thinks Bamba is the next Hasheem Thabeet, and has no interest in Jackson or others available, but is in love with 4-5 guys in 2019 draft, it might be a great trade in their opinion.

The Grizz acquiring Terry and Morris to add to Conley and Gasol would help them be better now, and also still keep a likely lottery pick just deferring it a year.  Perhaps they see Terry as heir apparent to Conley.  It's not a crazy thought.

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nobody thinks that.  They think he's Rudy Gobert.  Would you trade Brown for Gobert?

Gobert with a functional jump shot.