Author Topic: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba  (Read 15505 times)

Re: According to Sporting News, Cs want to move up for Bamba
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2018, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
We are going to need a big for Embiid. But i think this is just a smoke screen for a different move.
Danny and rumors never seem to happen. Danny may be trying to get people talking and stir the pot. I do believe we will make a move for a young big this summer. We also have the Kings pick to dangle.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I think one thing's for sure, Danny would not mind at all to package the 2019 Kings Pick and even the Grizzlies Pick (both) if it meant getting into the Top-10 of this year's draft and to hopefully draft a young big (Jackson Jr, Carter, Bamba).

He must realize the 2019 draft isn't as great for bigs and this is his best chance. I assume Ayton and Bagley are impossible though as they are Top-3 picks, but maybe any of Bamba, Carter or Jackson Jr. are there in the 5-9 range.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
If Danny and Stevens is that high on Bamba(i'm very high on him)

Then i am in for Brown + picks for Bamba

I'm scared to have Jeff Green 2.0 as our future max star, just too inconsistent

On the other hand Wingspan won't betray you

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

But he does have some Antoine Walker in his blood.  Should be taking it to basket/mid range 70 percent of the time and shooting the three 30 percent....but instead it is flipped.  And he is not a pure shooter
I'm serious
He got hot one game and cold another, just like Jeff Green

When he is hot he plays like star-superstar, but when cold he can't really do anything..
If our goal is contending year in and year out we will guys that can perform night in and night out
He's a raw 21 year old.

Most of those guys are inconsistent. That doesn't mean he's Jeff green 2.0. Jayson Tatum was also inconsistent. Bad game 6, great game 7. Should we pencil him in as Jeff Green 2.0?

He's young and he's raw and improving at a torrid pace(Jeff green literally never improved his entire career) he's already a better defender and 3 point shooter than green ever was.

This comparison is almost as pea brained as the criticism someone made yesterday that's brown had interests outside of basketball. Just absurd.
The comparison of Brown and Green is based mostly on their very similar stat lines. 

Here are year 1 per 36

Player A - 13.8 p, 5.9 r, 1.7 a, 0.9 s, 0.5 b, 1.8 t, 3.8 f
Player B - 13.4 p, 6.1 r, 1.9 a, 0.7 s, 0.8 b, 2.5 t, 3.2 f

Here are year 2 per 36
Player A - 17.0 p, 5.8 r, 1.9 a, 1.2 s, 0.4 b, 2.1 t, 3.0 f
Player B - 16.2 p, 6.5 r, 1.9 a, 1.0 s, 0.4 b, 2.2 t, 2.5 f

They had similar roles though Green played more minutes per game each season.  Brown has been a slightly more efficient shooter overall though is worse from the line and didn't get to the line at the same rate.
Browns a better shooter and better defender. He's also younger.

That also makes the comp even worse. Young Jeff Green was really promising. The fact that he literally never improved or added a single thing to his game and had to sit out a season due to a horrifying medical situation makes the comparison useless.

Brown has already improved more that green did his entire career. He's also far better suited to exist in the NBA even if he never develops a handle, post moves, go-to moves in general or, any ability to finish. Because he can be a 3-D guy who is a nightmare in transition and drives closeouts. Green never learned how to shoot and never seemed to give enough of a **** to defend.

I'd still take 21 year old Jeff green because he was a guy who could have been really ****ing good. It didn't work out because it turned out Jeff Green had a really bad mental makeup. I don't think that's the case with jaylen brown as many people have waxed poetic about his work ethic and given his progression from college to rookie year to this year I'd say the proof is in the pudding.

The Jeff Green comp is lazy and bad.
The thing is, statistically they improved at around the same level.  Now sure, Green never went past that point, but he absolutely improved from year 1 to year 2.  And, Brown is only a slightly better shooter than Green was.  For example, in year 2, Green shot 38.9% from 3 as compared to Browns 39.5%.  Brown was better from 2 basically everywhere, but is a much worse foul shooter than Green was.  Green was forced to defend PF's because Durant wouldn't do it, but Green was even then a pretty solid defender (especially when he was guarding the SF position).  Brown might be better at this point (though he plays on a much better defensive team, so those things are hard to judge, especially when the counting stats are nearly identical), but I don't think the gap is nearly as large as it is made out to be in this debate. 

I think we all expect Brown to continue to improve, but I'm sure the Thunder were expecting Green to continue to improve and the reality is he didn't.  In fact, year 2 was by far Green's best season and the one in which he set his career highs in ppg, rpg, apg, and 3P%.  And Green was only 22 that season (about a year older than Brown).  There are no guarantees in these things, but the stat lines are eerily similar to this point from players with very similar team roles.  Let's hope Brown keeps that upward trajectory, but let's not pretend year 2 might not end up being his best season.  You just don't know in these things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Embiid could easily push Bamba around at present.

« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Embiid could easily push Bamba around at present.

I was thinking the same thing. Bamba's just barely 225 pounds, Embiid would have no problem with that.

« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Unless you think Bamba is going to be an Anthony Davis / KAT type big man (i.e. can lots of things on both ends), I don't see how you could ever countenance trading a versatile wing talent like Jaylen Brown for a big man prospect.

The things Bamba can do is impressive. You know about his ridiculous wingspan right?

He was not only the best shot blocker in the country last season, but racked up rebounds and steals.  He can also guard out to the perimeter.   Has a functional jump shot out to the 3 point line (needs to improve)

Walter Tavares has an 8' wing span. Why don't you just sign him?

In other words, I could care less about his wing span unless I am confident the dude can play well in today's NBA. I have no such excitement for Bamba.  He seems like a stick who will get run over.

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I wouldn’t mind trading up for a guy like Bamba if he has some offensive potential to go along with his elite defensive ceiling.

I wonder what the cost would be? Does it start with Brown? Can we do something like Kings pick, Rozier, Grizz pick? What else would it take?

Yeah, it probably starts with Brown. In that case, I probably have to pass, but I don’t know too much about Bamba other than his size/length. I guess if we got him we wouldn’t really need Baynes (redundant), but I really like Baynes’ role/character for this squad. That would allow us to use the MLE on a SG.

Ugh. Tough one.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:08 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
We need a poll. Whether you would do the Brown for Bamba trade straight up or for Bamba and C's 1st NEXT year. Anything else is paying too much. I'm already not crazy about the idea but we may HAVE TO do this now. There may not be one available next year when Big Al will be like 33. Bamba is also a pretty smart guy with a semi-chip on his shoulders. That was even before he enrolled in college. His athleticism isn't off the charts (as compared to DeAndre Jordan) but he can already shoot better than Jordan. And trading Brown to the West we won't have to see him but once at the Garden. As we all know, NO ONE is untouchable.
I know I mentioned this several times as well but next years draft is littered with wing guys and we may have 2 picks in the top 10 (to replace Jaylen, if needed, ahem, Nassir Little, ahem). The draft currently looks sucky, as we also all know, and we could get stuck with 3 of the top 16 picks.

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
This board would implode if the Celtics traded Brown to move up for Bamba.

Yeah that would be a terrible deal and wouldn't make sense for our timeline either (Bamba is raw, Brown is entering Prime, While Horford, Hayward and Irving are all already in prime)

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Cool, let's give them Tatum.

I'd trade him for a bag of doritos. Just the bag, you can keep the doritos.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
No way we trade Brown for a project big that will need 2-3 years at least to develop into what may or may not be a a decent NBA player.

That is a definite step back from where we are at right now with our team.  Honestly, I don't see how anyone is on the side of...sure lets trade our 21 year old rising star who averaged 18ppg 5rpg and played great def on some of the most talented players in the league (and for some games while he was recovering from an injury).  Unless that trade is for a superstar - Davis / Durant / someone like that.

It is like some people forget what they saw right in front of their faces in the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:36:46 PM by blink »

« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
If this is the report, it is safe to assume that the Cs do not want Bamba.

Per NESN: There might be interest in Mo Bamba.
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://nesn.com/2018/05/nba-rumors-celtics-eyeing-mo-bamba-could-swing-draft-trade-for-texas-star/

If you thought the Boston Celtics’ offseason would be completely uneventful, you don’t know Danny Ainge. The Celtics have expressed interest in top 2018 NBA Draft prospect Mo Bamba and interviewed the Texas star two weeks ago at the pre-draft combine in Chicago, Sporting News’ Sean Deveney reported Wednesday, citing sources.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/05/nba-rumors-celtics-eyeing-mo-bamba-could-swing-draft-trade-for-texas-star/

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
If Danny and Stevens is that high on Bamba(i'm very high on him)

Then i am in for Brown + picks for Bamba

I'm scared to have Jeff Green 2.0 as our future max star, just too inconsistent

On the other hand Wingspan won't betray you

Brown is no Jeff Green

you guys serious?

But he does have some Antoine Walker in his blood.  Should be taking it to basket/mid range 70 percent of the time and shooting the three 30 percent....but instead it is flipped.  And he is not a pure shooter
I'm serious
He got hot one game and cold another, just like Jeff Green

When he is hot he plays like star-superstar, but when cold he can't really do anything..
If our goal is contending year in and year out we will guys that can perform night in and night out
He's a raw 21 year old.

Most of those guys are inconsistent. That doesn't mean he's Jeff green 2.0. Jayson Tatum was also inconsistent. Bad game 6, great game 7. Should we pencil him in as Jeff Green 2.0?

He's young and he's raw and improving at a torrid pace(Jeff green literally never improved his entire career) he's already a better defender and 3 point shooter than green ever was.

This comparison is almost as pea brained as the criticism someone made yesterday that's brown had interests outside of basketball. Just absurd.
The comparison of Brown and Green is based mostly on their very similar stat lines. 

Here are year 1 per 36

Player A - 13.8 p, 5.9 r, 1.7 a, 0.9 s, 0.5 b, 1.8 t, 3.8 f
Player B - 13.4 p, 6.1 r, 1.9 a, 0.7 s, 0.8 b, 2.5 t, 3.2 f

Here are year 2 per 36
Player A - 17.0 p, 5.8 r, 1.9 a, 1.2 s, 0.4 b, 2.1 t, 3.0 f
Player B - 16.2 p, 6.5 r, 1.9 a, 1.0 s, 0.4 b, 2.2 t, 2.5 f

They had similar roles though Green played more minutes per game each season.  Brown has been a slightly more efficient shooter overall though is worse from the line and didn't get to the line at the same rate.

Wait are we really trying to hold of Jeff Green, a guy who is notorious for his inconsistency healthy, and also missed an entire year with a serious heart condition that almost killed him, and is notorious for wasting talent, as some sort of realistic comparison for Jaylen Brown? Give me a break.

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
If this is the report, it is safe to assume that the Cs do not want Bamba.

Yeah usually Ainge operates from the shadows behind all the hypes. Just like how he caught us all by surprise trading Perk for Jeff Green....or trading PP34/KG to Brooklyn...and trading IT4 (and BKN '18) for Kyrie Irving out of nowhere.

I remember all the reports last year about PG13 or Jimmy Butler being Boston-bound and swoop goes OKC and Minnesota!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)