Author Topic: 1st 2018 mock (what i would do if i was each team)  (Read 890 times)

1st 2018 mock (what i would do if i was each team)
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
1. Suns - DeAndre Ayton.
This, to me, is a no brainer. Unless Phoenix can use this pick to get Karl Anthony Towns, they should hold on and take Ayton, who most consider the consensus number one pick for a reason. It's really hard to pass on a guy whose built up as a David Robinson/Amare Stoudemire hybrid, especially when he plays a position you are in dire need to fill.

2. Kings - Michael Porter
If i'm the Kings and i'm 95% sure I like what I see from Porter in workouts and like what I hear from his doctors, this is an easy call. Porter has a unique offensive skillset that reminds some of Durant/Carmelo, and he seems like a guy with the confidence and work ethic needed to fulfill that potential IF he can stay healthy. Doncic may be the pick here, but i'd be worried about how he and Fox would mesh considering they are both very ball dominant players.

3. Hawks - Luka Doncic
No secret that ATL needs bigs, but in todays game, what Doncic brings to the table is more valuable than what Bagley/Bamba/Jackson bring. Doncic has a unique blend of elite shot creating ability and blue collar toughness which is hard to turn down. The fact that he has been playing pro basketball against grown men since he was in his mid teens is also a great sign.

4. Grizzlies - Marvin Bagley
Many believe that Memphis should attempt to trade this pick and continue to build around their core of Conley/Gasol. I couldn't disagree more. The window, which was barely open, is closed shut for Memphis. Conley/Gasol wasn't good enough to win it all in their prime, now the west is tougher and both those guys are now in their early 30's. Time to rebuild with fresh legs. When it comes to Duke Big guys, Bagley is no Jahlil Okafor. He's the real deal. When I watch Bagley play, I completely understand why he draws comparisons to Chris Bosh - he's a low maintenance/high efficiency player who you can run a lot of your offense through at the top of the post. Big fan.

5. Mavericks - Jaren Jackson Jr.
If i'm the mavericks, I also consider Bamba here, but what sells me on Jackson more is his ability to defend on the perimeter and his offensive upside. Bamba may be the next Rudy Gobert, whose a terrific defensive player but seemed to be an offensive liability at times for the Jazz in the playoffs. Jackson is already a knock down 3 point shooter and really shined on a Michigan state team which seemed to be a really easy to be outshined on because all the talent they. May be a bit of a project but i'd love to see the Smith to Jackson alley-oop because a staple of the mavericks offense for years to come.

6. Magic - TRADE. ORL trades the 6th pick, along with D.J. Augustin & filler to Atlanta for Dennis Shroder.
Magic are rumored to be interested in Trae Young here, but if I'm the magic i'm worried about Young being a defensive liability off the bat. Young really struggled defensively in college, so what's going to happen when he's asked to guard the John Walls and Steph Curry's of the NBA? Trading for Shroder, who is apparently disgruntled in Atlanta, gives you the young stud point guard you want, and also ensures you don't have any more raw talent to develop, as there can only be so much of that on one team.
6. Hawks - Mo Bamba.
Now, if you're the Hawks, you make Doncic your primary ball handler and have the chance to get a big as well. I wouldn't call Bamba the "obvious choice" here, as Wendell Carter is also a terrific prospect, but he certainly has the most upside of anyone else left on the board. Players with his physical tools don't come along very often.

7. Bulls - Wendell Carter
I've been very clear that Carter is one of my favorite players in this draft. If he went on to have the best career of any big in this draft (not named Ayton) I wouldn't be at all surprised. Look at the impact Horford is having on the Celtics right now - I think that's the same type of impact Carter can have in a few years. Carter and Markkanen would be an intriguing front court duo for the Bulls to say the least. I think this is another no brainer pick.

8. Cavaliers - TRADE. CLE trades 8th pick, along with Jordan Clarkson & J.R. Smith to Memphis for Mike Conley & Wayne Selden.
If i'm the Cavs, i'm hesitant to move on to a post-LeBron era since it could be another 56 years until you win another title. I would use this pick as ammunition to put more talent around LeBron, rather than hit the reset button without too many good impact players left on the board. Mike Conley suddenly injects the Cavs with experience, toughness, and defense in the backcourt. As one of the most respected players in the league, this makes it more likely for a LeBron return to Cleveland.
8. Grizzlies - Trae Young
I already talked about Young's defensive short comings; but what I didn't mention yet is his elite Steph curry like ability to hit shots from about anywhere on the floor. Memphis's best bet at maximizing Young's rare potential is to do what Brad Stevens did with Isaiah Thomas and put a quick defensive unit on the floor to mask his deficiencies a bit.

9. Knicks - Mikal Bridges
Knicks desperately need shooting Mikal Bridges gives them that, but that's not all he gives them. championship pedigree, unique ability to disrupt opponents offense, and a clutch gene that can't be taught are some other things Mikal brings to the table. If you're the Knicks and you're trying to convince a generational talent in KP to stay long term, these are the type of players you need to put around him.

10. 76'ers - Collin Sexton
If you're Philadelphia, you're probably looking for shooters at this spot to put around Simmons and Embiid. While Sexton isn't exactly a knock down shooter, his toughness and tenacity are hard to turn down, ecspecially if you're a team like the sixers who are attempting to put together a championship caliber squad. Sexton reminds people of a Bledsoe/Beverley hybrid, and you'd be hard pressed to find a team who wouldn't take either of those guys right now.

11. Hornets - Miles Bridges
If you're the Hornets you're probably looking to move on from MKG sooner than later. Drafted 2nd overall, he hasn't shown much and it's probably time for Charlotte to switch things up on the wing. Miles Bridges is someone people thought would improve more this season, but he still gives you elite athleticism, as well as rebounding and shot blocking which is rare for a wing his size.

12. Clippers - Robert Williams
The Clippers should look to keep these picks and build upon what looks like a not so bad start to their rebuild. They're essentially in the same boat that the Celtics were in 5 years ago where they shouldn't worry about position of need and draft players who are of high character and motor. Williams is a good start to that. With elite physical tools and uncanny work ethic, Williams could blossom into the next Clint Capela.

13. Clippers - Kevin Knox
Knox is another guy who could have benefited from another year in school, but there's no doubt that with his unique skillset he can already score against pros. When fully engaged, Knox looks like he could have been a top 5 pick, but consistency was an issue for him throughout the season. You draft here based upon potential and Knox has plenty of that; and playing for one of the best coaches in college basketball last season will help his case.

14. Nuggets - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.
Murray and Harris are terrific backcourt players but they aren't exactly known for running the offense and getting others involved. A lot of the Denver offense runs through Jokic, but it would help them to have another player, preferably a guard who can take some of that pressure off him. Alexander has shades of pre-injury Shaun Livingston, which could be amazing for the Nuggets.

Rest of the 1st round...

15. Wizards - Jontay Porter
16. Suns - Zhaire Smith
17. Bucks - Mitchell Robinson
18. Spurs - Dzanan Musa
19. Hawks - Lonnie Walker
20. Wolves - Anfernee Simons
21. Jazz - Shake Milton
22. Bulls - Troy Brown
23. Pacers - Keita Bates-Diop
24. Blazers - Jacob Evans
25. Lakers - Khyri Thomas