Author Topic: Congrats Brad Wanamaker  (Read 2444 times)

Congrats Brad Wanamaker
« on: August 14, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brad Wanamaker ended his second season in the NBA leading the league in free-throw percentage, shooting from the charity stripe at a 92.6 percent clip. The reason why this is so significant for the team is that he has become just the fourth player in Boston Celtics history, and the first since Larry Bird back in 1989-90, to accomplish such a feat.

Congrats, Brad!  I had the pleasure of meeting Brad while he was playing high school ball in Philly (Roman).  He’s a class act.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Congrats Brad Wanamaker
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 10:57:07 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
That's a heck of an accomplishment. I'm sure Brad has put in the hard work and is well deserving of the recognition. I remember hearing Mike Gorman bring this up during the Grizzlies game. Frankly, I was surprised he would even qualify for the honor, since he only averages 1.9 attempts per game.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 11:11:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm glad that last miss didn't cost him. He had been on quite a roll. It's even more impressive that he took enough FTs to actually be eligible. With all of the injuries we had, he was able to step up and play well. Leading the league in anything [good] is always something you can hang your hat on. He might even get his own league leader basketball card next year!

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
That's awesome. I'm happy for him. And I think he's a solid player—a bit out-of-control at times but a solid rotational bench piece.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
delete
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:33:24 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Brad Wanamaker ended his second season in the NBA leading the league in free-throw percentage, shooting from the charity stripe at a 92.6 percent clip. The reason why this is so significant for the team is that he has become just the fourth player in Boston Celtics history, and the first since Larry Bird back in 1989-90, to accomplish such a feat.

Congrats, Brad!  I had the pleasure of meeting Brad while he was playing high school ball in Philly (Roman).  He’s a class act.

On top of that, he also had a Free Throw Rate of .376 - really outstanding. For those not familiar with this stat, it’s the ratio of FT attempts per FG attempt. Anything over .300 is golden. Only Robert Williams among his teammates was better. Wanamaker is great at getting to the line, as well as converting when he gets there.

Side notes:

1) Romeo Langford finishes the season at .313 for this stat (better than Tatum, Hayward, or even Brown). That’s very encouraging for his future.

2) Gordon Hayward has not recovered his pre-injury excellence in this stat.

3) Free throws multiply - getting in the bonus early means everyone gets more. One guy with a great FT Rate gets FT’s for his teammates.

4) Using more possessions at the line lets you set your defense, improving team performance at the other end.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
1) Romeo Langford finishes the season at .313 for this stat (better than Tatum, Hayward, or even Brown). That’s very encouraging for his future.

This is a bit misleading.  The ratio is good, but that’s largely due to Romeo not shooting the ball.  He ranked 15th on the team in FGA per possession.  Meanwhile, his FTA per possession ranked 12th on the team.  That’s not signs of a developed, or even developing, skill yet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Good for Brad.  That's a solid accomplishment.  There's a lot to be said for a surefire free throw shooter.

Can anyone remember the specifics of the Celtics sabotaging Danny Ainge's run at Bird for the FT% title in 1987?  They finished 1st and 2nd.  I think someone (McHale?) intentionally took a lane violation so Ainge would be credited with a miss and Larry would take the title! 
Yup

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Good for Brad.  That's a solid accomplishment.  There's a lot to be said for a surefire free throw shooter.

Can anyone remember the specifics of the Celtics sabotaging Danny Ainge's run at Bird for the FT% title in 1987?  They finished 1st and 2nd.  I think someone (McHale?) intentionally took a lane violation so Ainge would be credited with a miss and Larry would take the title!

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98082.0

Fun fact:  Larry Bird won the FT% title in 1986, but his percentage ranked 4th on the Celtics. The

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

This is a bit misleading.  The ratio is good, but that’s largely due to Romeo not shooting the ball.  He ranked 15th on the team in FGA per possession.  Meanwhile, his FTA per possession ranked 12th on the team.  That’s not signs of a developed, or even developing, skill yet.

Okay, but his Usage was only 11.6%. The point is: of the possessions he used, a high percentage were used shooting free throws. The per total team possessions stats you’re quoting are dependent on how many opportunities he got - i.e., not a lot.

We should be encouraged, as I said above, because as his usage increases, as his opportunities increase, his per team possession stats probably will, too. Notice also that he achieved that FTr as a rookie, which is even more encouraging.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:13:29 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is a great thread to illuminate the importance of free throws. So when you see the NBA refs gift superstars free throws it not only pads the stat of the star it has an overall impact on the game because of free throws to everyone and impact on defense strategy. This is why Shaq was so important to those teams he played on. You can claim to be spending 6 fouls each on Shaq with three different players, but you are hurting your team in a whole lot of other ways.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Our hottest free throw shooter since Brandon Bass?  ;D
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Our hottest free throw shooter since Brandon Bass?  ;D

nobody could clang a rim like old iron mitts Bass o matic.

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The Brad Stevens era has been notable by just how unfamiliar most of it's players have been with the FT line.   Outside of Isaiah Thomas, for much of his tenure I think most of his players viewed the FT line as some sort of abstract artwork painted on the floor, whose meaning and purpose they could not grok.

If not for IT4's two season averaging 6.6 & 8.5 FTA/gm, bringing the team totals to 23.5 & 23.2 FTA/gm in those years, in all other years the team barely managed to take just 20 FTA/gm, including a Stevens-era low of juts 19.5 per game last season (2nd last in the NBA).

This year, though, with Kemba, Gordon & the Two Jays, the team bounced back to average 23.2 per game.  Still well behind the 25-28 per game we used to see when Paul Pierce was in his prime, but a huge improvement and good enough to rank 15th in the NBA.  And what I like the most is that it was a team effort.   Multiple guys getting 'a few' trips to the line each game (or a different guy getting a lot in any given game).

I personally think both Jaylen & Jayson are capable of averaging even more FTAs/gm, even within the shared USG model they are working in.  They just need more experience (and reputation) at drawing fouls.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Congrats to him indeed! Hopefully he can help us in the playoffs by hitting some clutch FTs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)