Author Topic: NFL 2020 Season  (Read 70003 times)

Re: NFL 2020 Season
« Reply #345 on: January 05, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The media outrage on Twitter right now is pretty hilarious.  I highly doubt it’d be the same if it was a 6-10 Carolina team getting screwed by an obvious tank job.

How about not going 6-10 and relying on help to make the playoffs in the first place?

I'm still p---ed that a 7-9 Pats team got hosed out of the playoffs  :angel:

I'm still annoyed that the 11-5 Pats team in 2008 got hosed out of the playoffs!

And I still say that having division winners automatically make the playoffs is a foolish idea. If an entire division stinks, all of its teams should just be left out of the playoffs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2021, 02:58:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If the Giants want to whine then they should be whining about their TEN losses that put them in this spot.

They whining about ONE game?

I mean - seriously.

WAS went through QB issues...a supposedly rebuilding year....new coaching staff....getting Alex Smith back....and the media focus is on the entitled NY Giants?

LOOL.

No one's talking about Alex Smith's triumphant return....Terry McClaurin's play...Antonio Gibson's play....Sweat and Chase Young's play.....Coach Ron battling Cancer.......

Only way to shut them up is to get a WIN on Saturday, WASH!!!

Do the impossible and turn the media hype into what WASH has done this year - against the odds.

Win on Saturday.

« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the Giants want to whine then they should be whining about their TEN losses that put them in this spot.

They whining about ONE game?

I mean - seriously.

WAS went through QB issues...a supposedly rebuilding year....new coaching staff....getting Alex Smith back....and the media focus is on the entitled NY Giants?

LOOL.

No one's talking about Alex Smith's triumphant return....Terry McClaurin's play...Antonio Gibson's play....Sweat and Chase Young's play.....Coach Ron battling Cancer.......

Only way to shut them up is to get a WIN on Saturday, WASH!!!

Do the impossible and turn the media hype into what WASH has done this year - against the odds.

Win on Saturday.

we got in by the (Red)skin(s) of our teeth this year brother.   ;D

« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The comeback of Alex Smith is one of the greatest comebacks in sport history, and it is seemingly flying under the radar. I saw part of the ESPN special on him regarding the multiple surgeries on his leg, and it was beyond gruesome. I don't care what Doug Pederson of Philly did with his QB's, I wanted to see Alex Smith rewarded for his unbelievable hard work and dedication to the game.

« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2021, 04:17:27 PM »

• Satch Sanders
The comeback of Alex Smith is one of the greatest comebacks in sport history, and it is seemingly flying under the radar. I saw part of the ESPN special on him regarding the multiple surgeries on his leg, and it was beyond gruesome. I don't care what Doug Pederson of Philly did with his QB's, I wanted to see Alex Smith rewarded for his unbelievable hard work and dedication to the game.

Smith's story is amazing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Smith's story is amazing.

My heart sank towards the end of that Philly game, when one of the Philly defensive lineup jumped offsides and went after Smith's leg.

« Reply #351 on: January 05, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think a baby step towards fixing this division mess is to get rid of guaranteed home court advantage for the division winner. If the wild card has a better record, they should get the home court. It's asinine that the 7-9 Washington *redacted* gets a home game against the 11-5 Bucs.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #352 on: January 05, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I think a baby step towards fixing this division mess is to get rid of guaranteed home court advantage for the division winner. If the wild card has a better record, they should get the home court. It's asinine that the 7-9 Washington *redacted* gets a home game against the 11-5 Bucs.

I'd be down with that. Divisions just seem a bit arbitrary to me—yes, it makes sense to have teams that are geographically closer play more often against each other, but a crap team shouldn't get rewarded with a trip to the playoffs just because they're the least crappy team in a crappy division.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #353 on: January 05, 2021, 09:25:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The media outrage on Twitter right now is pretty hilarious.  I highly doubt it’d be the same if it was a 6-10 Carolina team getting screwed by an obvious tank job.

How about not going 6-10 and relying on help to make the playoffs in the first place?

I'm still annoyed that the 11-5 Pats team in 2008 got hosed out of the playoffs!

And I still say that having division winners automatically make the playoffs is a foolish idea. If an entire division stinks, all of its teams should just be left out of the playoffs.
It works the other way though as well.  Why should a team like the Patriots get rewarded for 15 years by playing in one of the worst divisions in the sport, while a team like Steelers consistently played in a division with 2 other teams that made the playoffs the same year.  Why have divisions at all?  Why not just play a 15 game schedule and play ever team in the conference 1 time and don't play anyone from the other conference?  That seems like the fairest way to do it.  Everyone has an equal shot and the seeding is perfect.  Then the Superbowl is full of even more intrigue since there is no intermixing of conferences. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It works the other way though as well.  Why should a team like the Patriots get rewarded for 15 years by playing in one of the worst divisions in the sport, while a team like Steelers consistently played in a division with 2 other teams that made the playoffs the same year.  Why have divisions at all?  Why not just play a 15 game schedule and play ever team in the conference 1 time and don't play anyone from the other conference?  That seems like the fairest way to do it.  Everyone has an equal shot and the seeding is perfect.  Then the Superbowl is full of even more intrigue since there is no intermixing of conferences.
similar to when baseball was better --> no cross-league play which made the Series that much more special

« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2021, 11:45:25 PM »

• Satch Sanders

I see your point, but the Pats were a legitimately good/great team in a weak division—as evidenced by their many Super Bowl appearances and wins—whereas this year's Washington team is, at best, a mediocre team in a weak division. I don't think anyone could make a valid argument that those Pats teams shouldn't have been in the playoffs, whereas this WFT squad ... very iffy.

I do like your idea of a 15-game schedule in which each team plays every conference opponent once each. And give every team a second bye week to maintain the current 17-week schedule while giving players more rest.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #356 on: January 06, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I see your point, but the Pats were a legitimately good/great team in a weak division—as evidenced by their many Super Bowl appearances and wins—whereas this year's Washington team is, at best, a mediocre team in a weak division. I don't think anyone could make a valid argument that those Pats teams shouldn't have been in the playoffs, whereas this WFT squad ... very iffy.

I do like your idea of a 15-game schedule in which each team plays every conference opponent once each. And give every team a second bye week to maintain the current 17-week schedule while giving players more rest.
except New England had a disproportionate number of byes and home playoff games because the AFC East was so bad, so you have no real idea how good they actually were.  They were 4-3 in road playoff games during the entire run, winning the 1st in the 1st year and the last one against the Chiefs three seasons ago.  So during the majority of the run the Patriots were 2-3 on the road in the playoffs.  They also had byes almost every single year.  That advantage is immense season after season, and they got all those byes and home playoff games in a large part because the AFC East was downright terrible.  So Brady has just 4 true road victories in the playoffs.  As a comparison, Joe Flacco has 7, including 2 in New England (2009 and 2012).  And take 2011, New England was 13-3, Baltimore was 12-4.  So when they played in the conference championship, the game was in New England.  That year Pittsburgh was also 12-4 and Cincinnati was 9-7, both made the playoffs (the AFC East had an 8-8 team and two 6-10 teams).  New England only had to play 8-8 Denver before that game in the playoffs, while Baltimore had 10-6 Houston.  You play that game in Baltimore and it probably has a different result.  And that year, the Steelers beat the Patriots in the regular season, a team Baltimore beat twice during the regular season (Pitt's other 2 losses were on the road to 10-6 Houston and on the road against 13-3 San Fran).  And that year the two divisions that the AFC East played had division winners at 8-8 (AFC West) and 9-7 (NFC East), while Baltimore was playing the AFC South (10-6 winner) and NFC West (13-3 winner). 

So you can't have it both ways.  You can't act like there isn't a benefit when a good team plays in a bad division, but then get made when a bad division has no good teams in it.  You have to take the good with the bad and really recognize it for what it is.   

« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2021, 12:31:54 AM »

• Satch Sanders

except New England had a disproportionate number of byes and home playoff games because the AFC East was so bad, so you have no real idea how good they actually were.  They were 4-3 in road playoff games during the entire run, winning the 1st in the 1st year and the last one against the Chiefs three seasons ago.  So during the majority of the run the Patriots were 2-3 on the road in the playoffs.  They also had byes almost every single year.  That advantage is immense season after season, and they got all those byes and home playoff games in a large part because the AFC East was downright terrible.  So Brady has just 4 true road victories in the playoffs.  As a comparison, Joe Flacco has 7, including 2 in New England (2009 and 2012).  And take 2011, New England was 13-3, Baltimore was 12-4.  So when they played in the conference championship, the game was in New England.  That year Pittsburgh was also 12-4 and Cincinnati was 9-7, both made the playoffs (the AFC East had an 8-8 team and two 6-10 teams).  New England only had to play 8-8 Denver before that game in the playoffs, while Baltimore had 10-6 Houston.  You play that game in Baltimore and it probably has a different result.  And that year, the Steelers beat the Patriots in the regular season, a team Baltimore beat twice during the regular season (Pitt's other 2 losses were on the road to 10-6 Houston and on the road against 13-3 San Fran).  And that year the two divisions that the AFC East played had division winners at 8-8 (AFC West) and 9-7 (NFC East), while Baltimore was playing the AFC South (10-6 winner) and NFC West (13-3 winner). 

So you can't have it both ways.  You can't act like there isn't a benefit when a good team plays in a bad division, but then get made when a bad division has no good teams in it.  You have to take the good with the bad and really recognize it for what it is.   

We're probably getting too far into the weeds here. My main point is that teams with losing records shouldn't make the playoffs, because they clearly are not among the best teams and don't deserve to be there. There probably will never be a perfect playoff system, as your examples highlight, but allowing losing teams to be there seems like an obvious flaw that could easily be fixed.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #358 on: January 06, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

We're probably getting too far into the weeds here. My main point is that teams with losing records shouldn't make the playoffs, because they clearly are not among the best teams and don't deserve to be there. There probably will never be a perfect playoff system, as your examples highlight, but allowing losing teams to be there seems like an obvious flaw that could easily be fixed.
except it can't easily be fixed.  Either the divisions matter or they don't.  There is no real gray area there.

« Reply #359 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Since realignment Pittsburgh has had an easier divisional slate than New England. Probably surprising, but true. Granted the North has had more variance, but the out of division win% of the non-Pittsburgh AFC north is worse than the non-Pats AFC East.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.