Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18  (Read 13339 times)

Re: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

Care to make a minutes prediction?

I take it you would at least agree that he’s elite at staying in front of his man and getting a hand up to contest (i.e.: quick hips and shoulders combined with anticipation), and that those are the most important skills for a defender. If not then we don’t need to waste time getting into the finer points.

You may remember after a game with Phoenix this past season that Brad remarked on his defense, saying something like he was on his way to being an elite defender, “and I’m not sure he isn’t there already.”
Semi is not elite or even near elite in any facet of the game. He’s a pretty good defender, which is impressive given he was drafted in the second round, but calling him elite is a major exaggeration. As for a minutes prediction, I’d guess five minutes per game or so, with a lot more dnp-cd’s than a lot of people think unless an injury opens a spot for him. If Smart stays he is the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th if Wanamaker can contribute. Hard to see a guy that far down the roster who can’t shoot, pass, dribble or finish at the rim getting a lot of time. The Celts have much better options.

Yeah, if the team is healthy he won’t see a lot of minutes. But that’s a sign of how very deep the team is. If they had to put him in you can have confidence in his defense and you can have him sit in the corners and the other team can’t  leave him alone.

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like when Yabu attacks the rim!

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

I take it you would at least agree that he’s elite at staying in front of his man and getting a hand up to contest (i.e.: quick hips and shoulders combined with anticipation), and that those are the most important skills for a defender. If not then we don’t need to waste time getting into the finer points.

You may remember after a game with Phoenix this past season that Brad remarked on his defense, saying something like he was on his way to being an elite defender, “and I’m not sure he isn’t there already.”
Semi is not elite or even near elite in any facet of the game. He’s a pretty good defender, which is impressive given he was drafted in the second round, but calling him elite is a major exaggeration. As for a minutes prediction, I’d guess five minutes per game or so, with a lot more dnp-cd’s than a lot of people think unless an injury opens a spot for him. If Smart stays he is the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th if Wanamaker can contribute. Hard to see a guy that far down the roster who can’t shoot, pass, dribble or finish at the rim getting a lot of time. The Celts have much better options.

Yeah, if the team is healthy he won’t see a lot of minutes. But that’s a sign of how very deep the team is. If they had to put him in you can have confidence in his defense and you can have him sit in the corners and the other team can’t  leave him alone.
FWIW, Brad Stevens says Semi is an elite defender.

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think Brad is right.

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I would say Semi is def at least an above-average defender...

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Semi can’t hit a [dang] barn and Uthoff looks like SL Chris Bosh out there.

I like Uthoff, too bad he won't make the roster...
Semi’s inconsistent shot is the biggest concern of SL. I was hoping for improvement from last year.

Sigh... agreed on both counts.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This game could have an exciting finish.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2018, 07:57:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
DAVIS!

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Trey Davis with the handle.

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
That was a great finish in what it looked like a disastrous sequence.

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Great pass too!

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Great pass too!

highlight of the game for me so far....but I haven't watched the whole thing

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Great pass too!

Best play of summer league so far.

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2018, 08:02:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Nwamu is looking good, too bad is on the wrong team...

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Great pass too!

Best play of summer league so far.

I just haven't been excited about the SL games this year, so I haven't watched as many games.