Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87417 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2017, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Celtics should use this pick to select a big.

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think it would be a surprise if the Nets dont finish in the bottom 8. Even if they aggressively spend this offseason. We should be able to get a pretty legit player in that range.

Suns/Knicks/Magic/Nets/Kings and lakers should all be in a fight in the bottom.

If the Bulls or Pacers blow it up add them too. Next year is a playoff year for the 76ers

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2017, 01:31:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think it would be a surprise if the Nets dont finish in the bottom 8. Even if they aggressively spend this offseason. We should be able to get a pretty legit player in that range.

If the Bulls or Pacers blow it up add them too. Next year is a playoff year for the 76ers
The lakers would not be tanking because their pick is unprotected next year. Let's hope the Nets whiff in the draft and FA and let Lopez and Lin go for peanuts
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The lakers would not be tanking because their pick is unprotected next year. Let's hope the Nets whiff in the draft and FA and let Lopez and Lin go for peanuts

True only if they keep their pick this year, right?

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Just want to be on page 1 of what is sure to be the longest thread next season.

Possibly the only useful post I've had since I started posting here:

Go into your profile. Click on Modify Profile. Click on Look and Layout. Scroll down to "Messages to Display Per Page." Change it to 50.

Presto, you're back on Page 1!

Mike
ha, ha, ha....useful and funny. tp for you sir!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2017, 05:00:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It's the farewell season for Nets watching. Sad. :( So far, thank you for James Young, Jaylen Brown and the most 2017 lottery ping pong balls!

Lopez has to go in a trade though. I hope...

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2017, 12:09:35 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, what is the probability that Lopez is traded at the draft? It has to be pretty high, right? I don't see them having much of a chance (or desire) to resign him at this point.

Who could be some possibilities? Would Charlotte be a possibility with the 11th pick and some other assets? That would be interesting: Kemba, Batum, MKG, Williams, and Lopez. They'd probably have to give up more assets to get him, though, because they'd probably have to send Plumlee and probably Sessions (team option, I believe) to match.

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2017, 12:23:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Even if the nets are better, some players in the middle and late lottery are still good. Wendell Carter (projected 12th pick) is compared to al horford http://www.nbadraft.net/players/wendell-carter

And with the 27th  pick we can still get someone strong like Grayson allen. But we got a long way until this draft lol

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Who are the Nets' biggest "competition" going to be next season?

The Sixers, Pistons, Lakers, and Timberwolves should all be at the stage of their rebuilds where they are trying to win games, even if they aren't yet contending. Plus the Lakers don't have their pick. No tanking here.

The Hornets, Mavericks, and Magic are all in weird places where their rosters aren't good enough but they have too much talent to tank or don't want to for other reasons. They'll probably make win-now moves this summer and won't be good but won't be  tanking, either.

The Suns still aren't going to be good. They might not be tanking per se but unless a bunch of young guys make huge leaps, they'll be real bad.

I think the Kings are the surest competition for the bottom. If they're smart, they're going to save money this summer and play a lot of rookies and young guys next year while they still have a pick to tank for.

The biggest question marks, as I see it, are the Knicks, Bulls, Pacers, and Clippers. None are in a position to tank as of today but all are on the precipice of full on tanking if the wind breaks a certain way this summer.

If 2 of the big question mark teams wind up tanking and Suns and Kings are where I think they'll be, I can see at least 4 teams as bottom dwellers and there's always one surprise team that starts poorly and never recovers. If that's all true, I see that Nets in competition with 5 other teams for the bottom.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2017, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So obviously there is a ton of variability in terms of where the Nets will go, but its hard to see how they dramatically improve. I hear KCP and Otto Porter tosses around a lot but both of those teams would match even a max offer. Beyond the restricted what free agent is going to want to go to that dumpster fire? There is less money to go around the last year but still a good number of teams have some cap space.

Do they trade Lopez? He is entering the last year of his deal so if you're gonna get something now would seem to be the time. That being said he's an old school center in a world when those just aren't that valuable. If you're only gonna get a late first for him maybe they don't bother.

Something to watch out for is the kind of deal where they take on salary in exchange for picks. In situations where you have a ton of cap room but no chance of using it this can be a way to get assets (Philadelphia did this to get Kings pick). Portland is an interesting partner, they are way into the tax and have 3 firsts this year. maybe they try to dump someone like Turner or Leonard.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The refrain of the "Nets will be better" crowd (led by LarBrd in '16) is still based on faulty logic. It boils down to two main thoughts that are both proven false:

1. "They have no incentive to tank". Most teams don't tank until the final few weeks of the season and given bad teams lose most games anyway the total win difference between a tanking and a non-tanking team is generally about 3 - 4 wins or so. This of course discounts the "tank the season away" 76ers but that is really unpopular in league circles and isn't done often. They had no incentive to tank two years ago and wound up #3. They had no incentive to tank this year and wound up #1 in the lottery.

2. "They'll get Free Agents". There's three problems with this school of thought.

A. The first is that good FAs won't want to come to a train wreck. Remember LarBrd talking about the possibility of Durant going to Brooklyn? It was laughable then and it's not going to be any truer this year.
B. The second is that people tout the cap space Brooklyn has but fail to see the abundance of cap space on many teams. With the raise in the cap there are more teams bidding for FAs because more teams have the space. Given the limited number of decent Free Agents on the market there's no reason for a premier FA to get stuck with the Nets.
C. Brooklyn may make plays for RFAs but as we've seen teams will match offers on their RFAs. That may change a bit this year because of the number of role-playing RFAs hitting the market but RFAs don't move much. It's not a big worry.

That doesn't mean they won't improve as their roster is constructed (slightly) better than last year. But Lopez is in his last year and that's an asset the Nets are better off moving now rather than later so their overall talent level may actually be worse this year.

In short there's little reason to worry about the 2018 pick. It's almost certain to be another top 5.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If anything Brooklyn could be worse, considering that Brook Lopez is coming into the last year of his contact, they may be tempted to move him. Although that might just be my inner optimist.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Oh man, didn't see this coming. Might be watching the Lakers a lot this year. At least they're much more entertaining than the Nets are. LOL. I'm assuming they don't make the playoffs in the West.

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Oh man, didn't see this coming. Might be watching the Lakers a lot this year. At least they're much more entertaining than the Nets are. LOL. I'm assuming they don't make the playoffs in the West.

You can watch the Lakers all you want, but no one should start a Laker watch thread on this blog, LOL.

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Wonder who they will offer the max to? KCP or Otto?

P.S. If someone could pin this thread, that would be great! It's getting lost with all the busy offseason rumors/draft threads!

:D