Author Topic: Question About Citizenship  (Read 1039 times)

Question About Citizenship
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:53:29 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This question has been posed to me and it hunts me.  I don't know the answer, so maybe somebody could come up with a concrete answer that has hunted me from nights on end.

There are countries, like Chile I believe, that if a child of a Chilean couple is born outside the country, the baby doesn't get a Chilean citizenship.  Meanwhile there are countries, like Belgium I believe, that if a child is born in Belgium from foreign parents, then the child doesn't get automatic Belgium citizenship.

My question is this, what kind of citizenship would a child have if a Chilean couple had a baby in Belgium?
Baby Jesus!

Re: Question About Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
They would be Chilean.   Children of Chilean citizens born abroad acquire Chilean nationality at birth, if any of their parents or grandparents were Chilean.  See the discussion of this topic on Wikipedia.

Additionally, Belgium (unlike the U.S.) does NOT automatically confer citizenship on children born in Belgium.  To become a Belgian citizen, at least one parent has to be Belgian.  Additionally, Belguim does not recognize dual citizenship except that children of Belgian parents born in a country like the U.S. that automatically confers citizenship on those who are born there may hold dual citizenship until age 18.