Author Topic: Celtics Offering Baynes for Cap Space  (Read 8795 times)

Re: Celtics Offering Baynes for Cap Space
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
How many ex-Celtics will be wearing Lakers uniforms next season?
i am going with 3 at the min

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
 4m4 minutes ago
More Adam Kaufman Retweeted Keith Smith
The #Celtics are positioning themselves to have several options, financially. Of course, one big question is whether they wish to re-sign Terry Rozier. That's a domino that would cost them between $10-15M. They're expected to target trading for a star first, like Bradley Beal.

Just would point out that if Beal is the target, there is no need to move Baynes if the team plans to move on from Rozier.  They can fit Beal into cap space if they renounce Rozier.  So either 1) Beal isn’t a primary target, 2) Rozier hasn’t ESPN-talk-showed himself out of Boston, or 3) Baynes isn’t being heavily shopped.

A roster that includes all of Rozier, Smart, Beal, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum would see a lot of minutes with pretty small lineups.

Beal can play Point guard, started off weak at it, but improved and logged a fair bit of time there this season.
so that might be an option as well.

Or makes Brown expendable if they do really like Garland

and certainly makes Hayward expendable unless we nab a center that can cover Tatum or Hayward becoming a PF.

Beal
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Big Beast

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Adam Kaufman

Verified account

@AdamMKaufman
 4m4 minutes ago
More Adam Kaufman Retweeted Keith Smith
The #Celtics are positioning themselves to have several options, financially. Of course, one big question is whether they wish to re-sign Terry Rozier. That's a domino that would cost them between $10-15M. They're expected to target trading for a star first, like Bradley Beal.

Which star wants to play on our team as constructed?

Someone willing to think outside the conventional box?

(I got nothing)

Honestly my favorite part of that quote is that Rozier is clearly not the top priority. Great news, I was worried DA was a big fan of him.

I think you misunderstand the situation a little bit.  Trading Baynes would allow them to retain Rozier’s cap hold while still having room for a major target like Beal.  So this reads to me like they are willing to make other moves in order to be able to keep Rozier.  There sounds like there’s a salary offer he could get that they will walk away from, which is reasonable, but he’s still someone they are planning around.

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like Baynes when he's healthy. For a Viking he gets injured more than anyone I've ever seen! Problem with moving him is than we need another big something Danny has struggled with getting in the past.

Time Lord is moving up the roster! ;D

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
John Karalis  🇬🇷

Verified account

@RedsArmy_John
 now
More
Celtics cap scenarios:
Horford/Kyrie leave, trade Baynes, renounce Mook: $18.4 mil
then renounce Larkin/Gibson/Wanamaker/Theis: $24. mil
then renounce Rozier: $32.4 mil
trade out 22 pick: $33.8 mil
trade away all picks: $38 mil.
waive Semi: $38.8 mil (max space scneario)

I'm cool with it. Would hate to trade all picks, and I wouldn't mind keeping Semi. If they go young, as expected, I think he's a pretty solid guy off the bench.
Certainly not a deal breaker, IF they can sign a major FA.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 10:05:42 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
@AdamMKaufman
Don't know if this is accurate - maybe @KeithSmithNBA can clear it up - but reading between lines here suggests #Celtics do not plan to contend next year, hence Aron Baynes wanting a better situation. Are C's looking to trade their way into contention, or eyeing a youth movement?

@KeithSmithNBA
The sense I am getting is that this is a very fluid situation for Boston. They could use the cap space to try to be a contender, but that seems more like a year or two away type of thing. Because of that Baynes, whose may have a different window, could be dealt.

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I like Baynes when he's healthy. For a Viking he gets injured more than anyone I've ever seen! Problem with moving him is than we need another big something Danny has struggled with getting in the past.

Prior to last season he had missed 9 games in 3 seasons.  It was a rough year no doubt, but that was a bit of an anomaly.

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Prior to last season he had missed 9 games in 3 seasons.  It was a rough year no doubt, but that was a bit of an anomaly.
Was a real bummer too, because I think it had a bad impact on Al's season too (getting banged up, etc.)

Hopefully Baynes can make his way to a contender!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

@KeithSmithNBA
The sense I am getting is that this is a very fluid situation for Boston. They could use the cap space to try to be a contender, but that seems more like a year or two away type of thing. Because of that Baynes, whose may have a different window, could be dealt.

Masterful tweet by Keith Smith.  No way for him to be wrong.

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
It was just nice to hear a player want to stay here and ask not to be traded. But that's not how this league operates.  Everyone wants to play for a contender or think they deserve the max or want to play with their friends.

Opening up this space is only going to be a letdown. 

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

@KeithSmithNBA

Masterful tweet by Keith Smith.  No way for him to be wrong.

LOL. I know

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think people are getting too caught up on the max space angle. Sure, Boston is trying to move space. But that could just be because he is a veteran would expected to be on a contender when he opted in and now Boston is doing him a solid by trying to move him somewhere that makes sense. Or maybe theres somebody in the 24 million dollar range would Boston wants to pursue by renouncing all cap holds except Rozier.

Im just not sure there are any max guys who both make sense for us and are gonna come here. Kawhi, Durant, Irving, Kemba, are all linked somewhere and seem like zero percent chances. Mil wont let us steal Middleton. Butler is fine but I don't wnat to give him a max, that will be a bad contract. I don't think you need full max space to get say Vuc.

Maybe they are just clearing enough space to absorb Beal, but its been reported over and over that Was isnt moving him, and they don't have a GM yet s I dont see that happening anytime soon. Even if it could its likely a bigtime package like Brown, MEM, maybe Smart, thher picks and what does that really do for you? He has two year left on his contract, you aren't contending during that time, then he gets to walk or you have to overpay him. Hes one of those borderline stars we've spent years avoiding. So I guess we'll see.

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Realistically I think the space would be used to overpay for guys on short term deals. They likely don't want any long term commitments with so much uncertainty.

Having extra cap space means you could pay someone like (totally random example) Rubio a bit more than he deserves, but also keep the contract short in terms of years.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Realistically I think the space would be used to overpay for guys on short term deals. They likely don't want any long term commitments with so much uncertainty.

Having extra cap space means you could pay someone like (totally random example) Rubio a bit more than he deserves, but also keep the contract short in terms of years.
Sort of like what Philly did with Reddick, or LA with KCP? Although the KCP was perhaps a bit nefarious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
Good. Hopefully he gets to go somewhere where he can really contend.

I still like the Adams deal that was floated where we send Baynes to OKC and take the rest of Adams’ salary back in cap space. That’d work out for all parties involved.

That said - I wonder if we’re planning on making a run at a 7-9 year vet and that’s the reason to try and trade Baynes for cap space, but who would that be? The only names that come to mind that likely fit our current needs are Kemba, Russell, and Vuc.