Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238782 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #915 on: August 12, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/robert-williams-buys-apartment-next-144905226.html

Just saw this and jumped on here to post it. Now if he is late, there is LITERALLY no good excuse to be late.
#JKJB

« Reply #916 on: August 12, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/robert-williams-buys-apartment-next-144905226.html

Just saw this and jumped on here to post it. Now if he is late, there is LITERALLY no good excuse to be late.
Don't care much about the lateness.  The big deal is that it is easy for him to go to the facility to work out at any time.  Horford shows up at 6am.  Get over here rook let's work out.  Baynes shows up at 6pm.  Get over here rook let's work out.  With the amenities in the facility, Williams should essentially be living there.   

« Reply #917 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Robert Williams on working out with vets like Horford, Baynes: “I learned you got to be a sponge when you’re around those guys. Their work ethic — you’ve got guys in the offseason 6 in the morning coming in to get treatment and work out. They’re not obligated to do that."

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/1028661612176125952 

« Reply #918 on: August 12, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Robert Williams on working out with vets like Horford, Baynes: “I learned you got to be a sponge when you’re around those guys. Their work ethic — you’ve got guys in the offseason 6 in the morning coming in to get treatment and work out. They’re not obligated to do that."

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/1028661612176125952

He's got a team full of role models. If he screws up, it'll be on him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #919 on: August 12, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He's instantly the second most  talented big on the roster. With the body and athleticism of about 10 people in the World. It's completely on him if he's gonna earn those minutes. God knows he should get minutes. By all accounts he loves basketball. If that's true we should be in for a treat.

« Reply #920 on: August 12, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Good for him! Looking forward to his first alley-oop slam at TD north.

« Reply #921 on: August 12, 2018, 09:41:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I hope this is a good sign for williams. maybe his earlier mistakes helped him mature as a person.

while he will be a fighting crustecean for much of the season, hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around he will be able to contribute to the team's run.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
still believe anyone putting stock into this guy contributing in any way are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think if we get anything from this guy this season it's a bonus, but going into this season with expectations is a mistake.

« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Good to hear for Robert. Really pulling for him.

I'm envisioning a "Torture Lineup" of him and Big Al up front, and Jaylen and Smart as our guards.

That is length, grit, toughness, athleticism, and intelligence placed on the floor to make things extremely difficult for our opponents.

Robert will be FINE. Keep working young fella and soak up that knowledge from Big Al, Baynes and even Theis.

« Reply #924 on: August 13, 2018, 03:01:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The drafting of a young big with his athletic ability and coordination who was under coached and
 was surrounded with players that were not focused on NBA.That and playing out of position did not put Robert in a situation to shine.
Robert is still rehabbing his knee.
In his first four minutes of summer league, he hit a mid range jumper after a nice fake and he looked fluid and natural.I believe or want to believe he can be taught and drilled into a offensive player not just a rim runner.
He loves defense, as he should but it may be an area that come naturally to him and he has neglected the offensive side that can be coached and drilled with repetition and proper technique.
Embid in those two years injured did nothing but shoot.
We have been spoiled by Brown,Tatum,Semi,Marcus and Rozier. A 20 year old from a small town is bound to have maturity issues from lack of experience and wrong choi
Switching gears from small town and college campus life without support -well we saw the results.
Robert is now in a place of young outstanding talent and young skilled vets in their prime and then we have Horford/Baynes,Thies and Mook what better teachers could you want.
Horford led the centers in three point shooting and Baynes is just starting.
Horfords passing and ability to handle the ball and Baynes will show him what real strength is.

There is no pressure of being a high draft pick the coaches and Brad will choose the best path
as us fans will want it to be immediate.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:31:08 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #925 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
still believe anyone putting stock into this guy contributing in any way are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I think if we get anything from this guy this season it's a bonus, but going into this season with expectations is a mistake.

That is the beauty of it.  The Celtics can bring him along slowly in a good environment.  I don't see any downside.  You don't get much out of the vast majority of rookies (Tatum notwithstanding) in their first season (Rozier for example).  Williams is no different.

What little I have seen of him on video and summer league, I agree with Rollie that I see all the tools you hope to see in a young defensive-minded big.  None of us have seen enough to be able to conclude much more than that.  I will say that even with the limited amount I have seen, I am 100% confident that he is NOT another Fab Melo.  Robert "Little Chief" Williams has the athleticism and coordination to keep up with the game.

So great, play most of the season in Maine.  Learn the game.  Grow up, and we will see what you got when the time comes.  27th pick don't forget.

« Reply #926 on: August 13, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Very encouraging. Wish they would've showed the apartment, hope the doorways are high

« Reply #927 on: August 13, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That is the beauty of it.  The Celtics can bring him along slowly in a good environment.  I don't see any downside.  You don't get much out of the vast majority of rookies (Tatum notwithstanding) in their first season (Rozier for example).  Williams is no different.

What little I have seen of him on video and summer league, I agree with Rollie that I see all the tools you hope to see in a young defensive-minded big.  None of us have seen enough to be able to conclude much more than that.  I will say that even with the limited amount I have seen, I am 100% confident that he is NOT another Fab Melo.  Robert "Little Chief" Williams has the athleticism and coordination to keep up with the game.

So great, play most of the season in Maine.  Learn the game.  Grow up, and we will see what you got when the time comes.  27th pick don't forget.
All good thoughts, I agree.  You mentioned Chief.  It would be great use Parish as a big man coach for him.  wiki says:
Parish remains active as the Celtics' team consultant and mentor for current Celtics big men
Wonder if this is still true.

« Reply #928 on: August 13, 2018, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

No one should be expecting anything out of any rookie for a contending team honestly. We got lucky and drafted a once-in-a-generation type rookie like Tatum and a stud in Brown, but anyone else should be expected to follow the general development path, probably not ready for major minutes until like late year 2-3. Remember Brown wasn't even that good his rookie year and is still patching up holes in his game.

The beauty of RW3's situation is there no pressure on him at all, so he can simply relax and focus on getting better in a positive, winning environment. Couldn't ask for a better situation..

« Reply #929 on: August 13, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

No one should be expecting anything out of any rookie for a contending team honestly. We got lucky and drafted a once-in-a-generation type rookie like Tatum and a stud in Brown, but anyone else should be expected to follow the general development path, probably not ready for major minutes until like late year 2-3. Remember Brown wasn't even that good his rookie year and is still patching up holes in his game.

The beauty of RW3's situation is there no pressure on him at all, so he can simply relax and focus on getting better in a positive, winning environment. Couldn't ask for a better situation..

Yeah. I don't see many people getting their hopes up too high. Which is the right thing. I think it's possible that his defense is good enough to let him see the floor in a mopup situation or as an injury replacement, but if he doesn't I'm not at all disappointed or giving up on him. We actually have pretty capable backups right now. The bigger decision comes at the start of next year, when Theis' contract is up. After a year of watching R Will the Cs should have a read on whether he's looks like a capable replacement or if they have to start looking elsewhere.