Author Topic: Why can't Romeo Langford get on the court?  (Read 4676 times)

Why can't Romeo Langford get on the court?
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:33:12 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
We are short handed and need scoring and length at the guard spot but Langford can't even get on the court, what's up? Did I miss something? Is someone out playing him that I'm not seeing? I'm mystified...

Re: Why can't Romeo Langford get on the court?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Hurt too much to get any practice time in
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Hurt too much to get any practice time in

If Brad isn't going to play him why isn't he in Maine?

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
We are short handed and need scoring and length at the guard spot but Langford can't even get on the court, what's up? Did I miss something? Is someone out playing him that I'm not seeing? I'm mystified...

For that matter, last night they could’ve really used some energy in the first half. He’s often thought of as a scorer, but in the brief stints he’s played he made more of a mark with defense and rebounding. Couldn’t understand why he didn’t get a chance last night.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 12:22:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe he is still trying to get his legs back under him after being sick for a long time.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Because CBS rather double shift Tatum, Hayward, Smart

it is quite puzzling to be honest

CBS is coaching like a desperate cat these days.  The one thing I have noticed about him is that he hates change

His system, who he plays

Celts have been terrible in the first quarter for 10 games now.  Instead of coming up with a new gameplan

He just encourages his starters to keep chucking 3s

Tatum and Walker for example are slow starters

So have them chuck away and  team down 10-15 after the 1st quarter, has been the theme

No drive to the basket and kick it out.  No cut to the basket.  Basically no game plan (at the start of games)

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:56:48 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
The Celtics played 9 games in 13 days. They probably haven’t had a real practice; not just a walk-through, since January 2nd. Romeo missed all those practices with the team during pre-season and while he should know the plays by now, he might not know the players well enough to know where and when and how they’re going to react to different situations in game.

That puts him and the team at a disadvantage. Sure he could probably put his head down and take the ball to the hoop, or stand in the corner, but how many possessions would that be good for? 2-3? Five minutes on the court isn’t really helping the team and probably not Romeo either.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 01:14:04 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The Celtics played 9 games in 13 days. They probably haven’t had a real practice; not just a walk-through, since January 2nd. Romeo missed all those practices with the team during pre-season and while he should know the plays by now, he might not know the players well enough to know where and when and how they’re going to react to different situations in game.

That puts him and the team at a disadvantage. Sure he could probably put his head down and take the ball to the hoop, or stand in the corner, but how many possessions would that be good for? 2-3? Five minutes on the court isn’t really helping the team and probably not Romeo either.
Unless Romeo has confidence issues like Hayward (the excuses for him are getting ridiculous lately) ... I don’t see why can’t he just play and learn from his mistakes... we are losing games either way

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I dont know  maybe when we get a Democratic president,and there is an opening on the Court. Oh wait... that Langsford?

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd rather see Romeo especially, but anyone for that matter, out on the court in place of Ojeleye. The other night I was at the game and Semi and Wannamaker were in at the same time vs the Pistons for what seemed like forever. Torture to watch that pairing.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Could be part of a trade deal and they don't want him getting hurt again rigjt before it goes through.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 03:33:22 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Could be part of a trade deal and they don't want him getting hurt again rigjt before it goes through.

That's a strong possibility.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I imagine any of the following could be possible:

1. He could still be not 100% whether because of his recent bout of the flu or something else.

2. Stevens thinks he is making too many mistakes, wants to address them in practice which they haven't had.

3. Stevens has more confidence in Green, Smart, Wanamaker, Waters, Brown and Kemba in the backcourt, making Langford about on equal ground with Carsen Edwards.

4. Stevens has more confidence in Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart, Grant Williams, Green,  and Semi as a wing making Langford dead last in that rotation, too.

5. Stevens just isn't seeing enough of a work ethic off the court so feels Langford hasn't earned the time

6. Langford is being punished for being late for something.

7. Something else the coaching staff knows that we don't. 

8. A combination of any of #1 thru #7.

It could all add up to he just isn't ready so rather than force him into the court and possibly hurt Romeo's confidence if he struggles, Stevens is just letting him learn and adjust to life as a pro. Not every young player has the same developmental curve. We need to be patient. Langford is just 20 years old, after all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:41:01 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I imagine any of the following could be possible:

1. He could still be not 100% whether because of his recent bout of the flu or something else.

2. Stevens thinks he is making too many mistakes, wants to address them in practice which they haven't had.

3. Stevens has more confidence in Green, Smart, Wanamaker, Waters, Brown and Kemba in the backcourt, making Langford about on equal ground with Carsen Edwards.

4. Stevens has more confidence in Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart, Grant Williams, Green,  and Semi as a wing making Langford dead last in that rotation, too.

5. Stevens just isn't seeing enough of a work ethic off the court so feels Langford hasn't earned the time

6. Langford is being punished for being late for something.

7. Something else the coaching staff knows that we don't. 

8. A combination of any of #1 thru #7.

It could all add up to he just isn't ready so rather than force him into the court and possibly hurt Romeo's confidence if he struggles, Stevens is just letting him learn and adjust to life as a pro. Not every young player has the same developmental curve. We need to be patient. Langford is just 20 years old, after all.

All of those seem possible but I do wish he would get some reps.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 06:56:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
TP

cbs is a mystery anyway