Author Topic: The difference between the very good players and the great players is  (Read 1052 times)

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
"The difference between the very good players and the great players is the great players play at a high level on a more consistent basis."

Rangers Assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld

This says it all. 

You have to ask yourself; "Who has really played consistent this year?"  It's a short if non-existent list.

So, it really comes down to this: 

Either the players start playing consistently or Doc stays with a rotation and gives them consistent minutes.

I do not think you can play 10 or 11 players every night.  Green and Lee would benefit the most by playing consistent minutes, ie, at least 25 minutes per game.  They both seem to do better with increased minutes and find their groove.  Neither seem to do well in shorter minutes, especially Green.  Doc has got to roll the dice and stick with a rotation.  Case in point, he seems to stick with the Jet, no matter what and was somewhat rewarded last night even thought the Jet has been somewhat of a disappointment so far.  More to the point, Barbosa hardly got any burn when Bradley was out and now he starts because Doc wants to keep his 2nd team together.  I wonder just a bit how much the ESPN Brazil report had to do with this, although I doubt it had much of an effect.  Barbosa promptly gets into foul trouble and Rip Hamilton burns him repeatedly.  Why not start Lee?  I think Doc wants to pull a Belichik and "game plan"; I don't think it works in basketball.  Case in point, I hate to say it but Boozer seemed to have his way with KG last night.  The end result, KG is tired and ineffective on the offensive end as well.

Bottom Line: Stick to a 8-9 man rotation with consistent minutes.  I know this lets the players off the hook for inconsistent and poor performance.

Re: The difference between the very good players and the great players is
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”

― Scottie Pippen