Author Topic: Royce White: "Carmelo is being blackballed, lebron back-stabbed him"  (Read 4898 times)

Re: Royce White: "Carmelo is being blackballed, lebron back-stabbed him"
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 09:15:25 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
he had an odd career to me

“It all went downhill when he forced a trade to NY, and then later on had a chance to get out and go to a contender and instead doubled down on NY for the money.

There have been plenty of sports careers that came in like a Lion and went out like a Lamb. For me, Carmelo made millions and he’s crying louder than Jeremy Lin about the NBA moving on from him.

It all went downhill when he forced a trade to LA, and then later on had a chance to get out and go to a contender and instead doubled down on LA for the money.” - Hoping that’s the eulogy for “The Brow,” as well.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If Melo was on the Pistons he would’ve had a ring. Maybe 2. Those duels against Lebron’s Cavs would’ve been epic.

That said, I could still see the same career arc with him going to NY, and it all going downhill from there.
- LilRip

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 10:09:47 PM »

Offline Ty_Unabi

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I always rooted against Melo, I thought he wasn't a winner, but I must admit, I always liked the way he played for USA basketball.

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 02:21:26 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
To be honest I actually have never really hated on Melo the way a lot of people have.

He has his limitations and always has, but when he was in his prime he was one of the greatest scorers I have ever witnessed. 

I think Melo and Kobe are probably the only two guys I've ever seen in the modern era (2000s) who were literally impossible to defend. 

I remember watching Boston play Melo's teams and Kobe's teams, and sincerely struck fear in to me because if you had any less then about a 20 point cushion going in to the 4th you knew anything could happen.  Both of those guys were capable of single handedly digging their team out of a 20 point hole in the space of like 6 or 7 minutes if they were hot.

And as much as people criticized Melo, I actually feel like he always played hard and with a ton of heart, even if he didn't do so on the defensive end.  A lot of those games against the Knicks, Melo would be out there playing stupid minutes, chasing loose balls, fighting to the very end.  I never felt he was one of those guys who just wanted his numbers - I felt he really did care about winning and tried to play his heart out. I feel that the bad times hit when he started to get older and just couldn't do the things that he USED to be able to do, and I kinda feel like mentally he just never learnt to accept that. 

It's like when a great shooter gets into a shooting funk, you don't stop shooting - you keep shooting until you find your shot again, because you know eventually it'll come back.  I feel like that's the mentality Carmelo had - like he wasn't declining in ability, he was just in a funk...and if he kept taking those same shots that he knew he could make all day every day, then eventually it would would all come back again.    But it never did, but it wasn't just a funk - it was a decline in ability.

I feel that deep down inside he just never accepted that, which is why he couldn't accept lesser roles on teams.  Because he felt he was still that superstar guy just trying to make that 25 PPG scorer return. 

I feel now he's finally realised and accepted that this old superstar Melo is gone, and isn't coming back.  I think he's recognised that he DOES still have something to offer a team, but for him to help a team he needs to change his mentality and treat himself like a role player.  Come in, don't try to do everything - just let the game come to you and do the things that you're good at when your team needs it.

I really believe he still has a LOT to offer a team, but it's entirely dependant on his ability to accept what he has become and embrace that. 

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 05:16:24 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Maybe he should have tried out for USA Basketball this time around...

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 06:22:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Melo and Kobe are probably the only two guys I've ever seen in the modern era (2000s) who were literally impossible to defend. 

Maybe watch more games?   Because Durant is harder to guard than either of these two when healthy

This is a classic case of you reap what you sow.    Melo has been a great scorer, but he is not a winner and seems unwilling to evolve his career and has a reputation for selfish play.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:29:15 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 06:59:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Maybe watch more games?   Because Durant is harder to guard than either of these two when healthy

This is a classic case of you reap what you sow.    Melo has been a great scorer, but he is not a winner and seems unwilling to evolve his career and has a reputation for selfish play.
Maybe he literally meant the 2000s? As in the 2000-2009 stretch. That's the only way I could see that argument standing up, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Maybe he literally meant the 2000s? As in the 2000-2009 stretch. That's the only way I could see that argument standing up, lol

If we're using that time span, Iverson in the early 2000s should be included.   He was as scary as they came when playing the Celtics, IMO.  Pretty much unguardable

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Speaking of Allen Iverson, was he a good mentor and role model for Carmelo when they played together in Denver?

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It wouldn't be the first time Lebron has backstabbed somebody. Probably won't be the last.

Btw, I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind the Celts signing Melo as a back-up to provide scoring of the bench. Way too many rookies on the bench.

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It wouldn't be the first time Lebron has backstabbed somebody. Probably won't be the last.

Btw, I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind the Celts signing Melo as a back-up to provide scoring of the bench. Way too many rookies on the bench.

How many minutes would he play in your scenario?

Melo is cooked, i’d rather watch romeo or anybody else soak up those 10-15 minutes and call it a devealopment, rather than warching melo iso ball saga plus the drama with his complaining
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've been advocating for at least the last week for Boston to sign both Howard and Anthony to minimum contracts.  If they act up or don't adapt you cut them, but even if just 1 of them hits, it could a homerun and really elevate Boston into the Milwaukee/Philly tier.  They both would fill an absolute need and an absolute hole on the team. 

And here's the thing, Anthony wasn't that bad in Houston last year.  Sure his last game there he was downright terrible at 1 of 11, but the 6 games directly preceding that he shot 48% from the field and scored 17.8 ppg in about 32 mpg mostly coming off the bench.  I absolutely believe Anthony can still play in this league, he just has to embrace the bench role.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I absolutely believe Anthony can still play in this league, he just has to embrace the bench role.

I'm in agreement with the first half but the second is carrying a LOT of weight. As a fan who wishes Melo well I haven't seen any ability to adjust to a reduced role in a way that's effective for the team. It reminds me of Iverson's decline.

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
To be honest I actually have never really hated on Melo the way a lot of people have.

He has his limitations and always has, but when he was in his prime he was one of the greatest scorers I have ever witnessed. 

I remember watching Boston play Melo's teams and Kobe's teams, and sincerely struck fear in to me because if you had any less then about a 20 point cushion going in to the 4th you knew anything could happen.  Both of those guys were capable of single handedly digging their team out of a 20 point hole in the space of like 6 or 7 minutes if they were hot.

And as much as people criticized Melo, I actually feel like he always played hard and with a ton of heart, even if he didn't do so on the defensive end.  A lot of those games against the Knicks, Melo would be out there playing stupid minutes, chasing loose balls, fighting to the very end.  I never felt he was one of those guys who just wanted his numbers - I felt he really did care about winning and tried to play his heart out. I feel that the bad times hit when he started to get older and just couldn't do the things that he USED to be able to do, and I kinda feel like mentally he just never learnt to accept that. 

It's like when a great shooter gets into a shooting funk, you don't stop shooting - you keep shooting until you find your shot again, because you know eventually it'll come back.  I feel like that's the mentality Carmelo had - like he wasn't declining in ability, he was just in a funk...and if he kept taking those same shots that he knew he could make all day every day, then eventually it would would all come back again.    But it never did, but it wasn't just a funk - it was a decline in ability.

I feel that deep down inside he just never accepted that, which is why he couldn't accept lesser roles on teams.  Because he felt he was still that superstar guy just trying to make that 25 PPG scorer return. 

I feel now he's finally realised and accepted that this old superstar Melo is gone, and isn't coming back.  I think he's recognised that he DOES still have something to offer a team, but for him to help a team he needs to change his mentality and treat himself like a role player.  Come in, don't try to do everything - just let the game come to you and do the things that you're good at when your team needs it.

I really believe he still has a LOT to offer a team, but it's entirely dependant on his ability to accept what he has become and embrace that.
Chauncey Billups' comments last month refute that Anthony cared much about winning.  Billups said that if Melo had 20 or 22 pts and the team won, Melo was always mad and in a bad mood after the game.  If he got 36pts and the team lost he'd be in a great mood after the game, trying to pick everybody up.  This pretty much sums up why he's not in the league.  He was selfish and winning wasn't at the top of his priority list.

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 02:29:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would take Dudley over Carmelo for my team every day.

Historically, some former all-stars have been able to accept bench roles (Bill Walton, Vince Carter) while others have not (Allen Iverson).  Carmelo just can’t do it.

One of the biggest “what ifs” I wonder about is what would have happened if Carmelo was drafted by the Pistons. I think the structure, coaching, and reduced role in his first couple of seasons might have helped him.
Pretty much hit everything I wanted to add here.

A couple of questions I have though
1. Who does Royce White think he is?
2. Why is anyone asking Royce White's opinion on anything?
3. Does his line of thinking that an inefficient scorer who brings nothing else to the table is more worthy of a 15th roster spot than a good veteran glue guy say anything positive about how he sees the game?

I know Royce sees himself as a pioneer for mental health in the NBA, but he's more a cautionary tale than a success story IMO. He said he was blackballed from the league but the fact of the matter is he couldn't find a way to show up for work every day and produce. Love and DeRozan found a way to deal with their mental health issues and still show up for work.

I've dealt with anxiety in the past and it's hard having to miss something due to anxiety, the people that are able to live with it work to improve while White seemed to just point the finger at everyone else.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19