Poll

How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?

Less than 440
440 (50 games, same per game as last season)
495 (50 games; 35 games at 9 per, 15 games at 12 per)
580 (66 games, same per game as last season)
672 (66 games; 40 games at 9 per, 26 games at 12 per)
790 (Low rotation minutes: 66 games, 12 minutes per game)
1,000 (Ninth man minutes, compare to Daniel Theis last year)
More than 1,000

Author Topic: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?  (Read 11263 times)

Re: How Many Minutes Does Timelord Play This Season?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Seems like Ainge has amassed a whole bunch of bigs for a coach who doesn't have a history of playing bigs very much.
I don't know what that means. Could be Stevens modifies his game a bit  to shore up the paint. That could give "Timelord" more time.

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Rozier played in 39 games his rookie season and a lot in Maine. He got 8 minutes per game in those 39 games.

Williams played in 32 games his rookie season and a lot in Maine. He got 9 minutes per game in those 32 games.

Rozier saw 17 minutes per game in 74 games his second season. I think Williams gets something close to that.

Of the people posting on this thread so far, you're definitely the optimist. What you're proposing would be something like eighth or ninth man minutes, depending on how big the rotation is and how many minutes the starters are playing. And you're proposing that for the whole year!

One of the things that the coaching staff have done so well in the Brad Stevens era is manage minutes. Keeping minutes down prevents injuries and leaves your main guys fresh for the playoffs.

Furthermore, I believe, longer rotations build team solidarity and have backup players more ready to step up when the inevitable injuries happen to the guys ahead of them; and they make it easier to find precious court time to develop younger players.

Which brings us inevitably to Robert Williams III.

Of course, he'll need to earn his minutes; but getting minutes is also the irreplaceable item in any player's development.  There just is no substitute for learning to play basketball at a high level of competition than by... playing basketball at a high level of competition.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 12:06:11 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Funny enough, the players that may effect Williams' playing time the most are the group of Semi Ojeleye, Grant Williams and whichever of Hayward or Tatum that end up playing against PFs. If Grant Williams or Semi Ojeleye can give this team a credible 24 minutes a game as a PF, and Hayward/Tatum are at least okay at PF, Timelord's minutes disappear as Kanter and Theis will eat up most of the center minutes.

I think that that's a good summary, and that's even without minutes for Poirier.

But if GWilliams and Semi can't give this team quality minutes at PF, and Theis needs to be used a lot there, then a bunch of rotation minutes could open up for Poirier or Timelord.

Logical, except that pf minutes are unlikely for Theis.  The coaching staff has not used him there, pretty much at all. And in fact he's mostly been on the floor as the lone big with a swing like Morris or Ojeleye. He was virtually never on the floor last season with Horford or Baynes.

Now it's true that this is a new season. Theis' capability as a shot-blocker might potentially be used to make up for Kanter's deficiency there, while Kanter's A-plus rebounding might be made to make up for Theis' rebounding mediocrity. The trouble with that is guarding out on the floor; that's kind of a deal-breaker.

But that's exactly what Timelord can do. His mobility, reach, acceleration, and verticals make him ideal for guarding bigs or swings alike out on the floor; and his unusual skill at blocking jumpshots is a huge plus.

I am expecting about the same amount of games played and minutes played as last year, maybe as much as 350-400 total minutes if he has an increase. But he won't get as many DNP-CDs as he will spend more time in Maine than last year.

I think that this definitely makes you the most pessimistic poster in this thread.

You might be right, but I'd have to be disappointed by that outcome.

That also means, I take it, that you're also predicting that Tatum/Hayward, and Ojeleye or Grant Williams don't come through in covering the pf spot (or whatever we're going to call it) - following from your first argument.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hopefully less than 5 MPG unless he makes the leap into a viable rotation center.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 01:05:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hopefully less than 5 MPG unless he makes the leap into a viable rotation center.
I'd be quite shocked if his MPG nearly halved
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:06 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think he spends more time in the d-league this season (Theis, Kanter, and Poirier will get minutes over him), with a chance at earning real minutes with the team

I could see him getting 10-15mpg for the last month or so, but I don't expect him to play many minutes overall

I call this a conservative projection, but it makes perfect sense - and wouldn't surprise me at all. I have him starting low rotation minutes earlier in the season than you do, but otherwise this is what I expect.

So, how many NBA games do you think that he'll play in? The poll assumes something like 66 for minimal time in Maine, or 50 games for multiple trips there.

Hard to tell. If everyone is healthy and Poirier looks playable, it could be around 30-40. If some bigs get hurt and/or Poirier is unplayable, maybe 50-60 (but less mpg)

There's a lot of moving parts for him to get more minutes, and how much he improves is a major part of that
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he needs lot and lots of practice.

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 08:41:24 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I believe he slides into the Aaron Baynes role with significant time off the bench.  The better poll is, how many minutes does Tacko get?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd be quite shocked if his MPG nearly halved
I'd be quite shocked if he gets that much burn again unless he really improves, he's got Kanter, Theis and Poirier in front of him in the center position. He only really got 8.8 MPG last season because Baynes was made of glass and Theis was hot garbage imo. Will be a different situation this season with Theis having a full season under his belt after his meniscus tear and Poirier being a much better PnR finisher and bruiser to combat physical bigs aside from Kanter.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Theis level minutes sounds about right. Would like more, but that's unrealistic. 

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I believe he slides into the Aaron Baynes role with significant time off the bench.  The better poll is, how many minutes does Tacko get?

You should totally post that poll!

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Theis level minutes sounds about right. Would like more, but that's unrealistic.

I'd agree that it's unlikely. But a lot happens in a season, and there are a lot of moving parts. Every year unpredictable things take place.

It looks to me as though you could count on one thing, though: Robert Williams is a worker. My optimism comes from that plus his amazing gifts (though I'm not nearly as optimistic as you!).

Naturally his huge potential as a rim-protector was intriguing last year, and he was already a very good rebounder, at least in his limited minutes. But what might have been surprising, and certainly had the Boston brass' attention, was the passing that he showed in Summer League.  I'd point to this one, for example, in Tomas Kordylewski's highlight vid (go to :38) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDECFFNmhM

In this clip, Tremont is in a high pick and roll with Grant; he gets in trouble and the big man gets a hand in and tips away the ball. Timelord springs to recover the loose ball, and in one smooth motion pivots around and whips the perfect pass around two defenders for the GW dunk.

Instinctive is the word that springs to mind.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:37:51 AM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I'd agree that it's unlikely. But a lot happens in a season, and there are a lot of moving parts. Every year a lot of unpredictable things take place.

It looks to me as though you could count on one thing, though: Robert Williams is a worker. My optimism comes from that plus his amazing gifts.

Naturally his huge potential as a rim-protector was intriguing last year, and he was already a very good rebounder, at least in his limited minutes. But what might have been surprising, and certainly had the Boston brass' attention, was the passing that he showed in Summer League.  I'd point to this one, for example, in Tomas Kordylewski's highlight vid (go to :38) -

In this clip, Tremont is in a high pick and roll with Grant; he gets in trouble and the big man gets a hand in and tips away the ball. Timelord recovers the loose ball, and in one smooth motion pivots around and whips the perfect pass around two defenders for the GW dunk.

Very interesting take.  I think many people in this thread are vastly overrating Robert Williams.  I like him and think he could one day be a valuable role-player, but I thought his performance in Summer League left a lot to be desired, frankly he never even convincingly outplayed undrafted free agent Tacko Fall.

He was clearly drafted for his great physical tools, but it's perplexing to me how he could have been a professional for an entire year and still seem to have so little command or understanding of team defense.  Additionally, summer league has traditionally been so thin depth wise at the forward/center position that even mediocre players dominate... Not only did he NOT dominate summer league, but he struggled to even get minutes...

What am I missing here?   

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I'd agree that it's unlikely. But a lot happens in a season, and there are a lot of moving parts. Every year a lot of unpredictable things take place.

It looks to me as though you could count on one thing, though: Robert Williams is a worker. My optimism comes from that plus his amazing gifts.

In this clip, Tremont is in a high pick and roll with Grant; he gets in trouble and the big man gets a hand in and tips away the ball. Timelord recovers the loose ball, and in one smooth motion pivots around and whips the perfect pass around two defenders for the GW dunk.

Very interesting take.  I think many people in this thread are vastly overrating Robert Williams.  I like him and think he could one day be a valuable role-player, but I thought his performance in Summer League left a lot to be desired, frankly he never even convincingly outplayed undrafted free agent Tacko Fall.

What am I missing here?

I saw things much as you watching summer league .   I was ho hum over Tme Lord improvement . 

I was more impressed with Tacko and what he could mean for the team in certain situations. If Fall can stay between the ball and basket on defense ,  raise his arms .....that alone presents a road block and challenge for the opponent to get his shot off like he would like ..   Fall really doesn't need to block the shot ...he just needs to be there as it leaves the opponents hand to disrupt or alter the shot .

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Very interesting take.  I think many people in this thread are vastly overrating Robert Williams.

I hope that I am not overrating him, let alone "vastly overrating" him.

It would be interesting to know what you think his upside is - sounds like you're not predicting rotation minutes for him this year; but do you think that he's a rotation player down the road?

I like him and think he could one day be a valuable role-player...

What did you vote for in the poll?

He was clearly drafted for his great physical tools, but it's perplexing to me how he could have been a professional for an entire year and still seem to have so little command or understanding of team defense.

I'm very interested in this topic. Would you mind being more specific?

Not only did he NOT dominate summer league, but he struggled to even get minutes...

"Dominate" means what? Score at will?

Mostly, his scoring has to come, at this point, from other players creating shots for him; and his effectiveness decreases precipitously outside of three feet. Of course, there is always running the floor (he is fleet of foot, I'm sure that you agree) and offensive rebounding (in spot minutes last season, 10.2%, very promising).

I'm surprised by your claim that he "struggled to even get minutes" in Summer League.

Summer League has a different purpose than Training Camp/Pre-Season - or rather, it has as many purposes as there are players. Clearly, one of his purposes was being integrated in the offense as a roll man, but it looked like he made a point of demonstrating his new skills in moving the ball. Here's an example:

I shared a clip already in this thread; now take a look at 1:55, where he winds up in single coverage out of a pick and roll with Carsen (who makes a good on-time delivery), a few feet from the rim; he might easily have taken the shot there, maybe even have gotten to the line (the big guarding him is in the restricted area). Instead of taking the shot himself he gets a beautiful assist - Grant Williams has time to lick his finger and test the wind before launching the open 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDECFFNmhM&t=40s

Now, should he have taken the shot? Sure, maybe, but he wasn't in Summer League to dunk the ball.

Kudos to Kordylewski, by the way; his highlight reels have longer takes so that you can see the whole play develop, and he includes things like this, where you can see more than just the player scoring.

What am I missing here?

My bet is: that will be apparent by February.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:08:59 PM by Hoopvortex »