Author Topic: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?  (Read 10955 times)

Re: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
going back a ways on this one but Keith Lee out of Memphis State.  guy was amazing in college in the 80's but it didn't translate well to the pros.   Second place would be Eric Murdoch out of PC.  had a senior season like nothing I'd see before or since.  another player who couldn't transfer his college results to the pros.

I'd throw Sam Bowie in there but he had the talent -- just couldn't stay healthy.

never really got into thinking anyone in college was a sure thing after the 80's.  grew a little wiser as I got older.

thats the thing right there and GMs evaluation too, having to pick players 18-19 years old with 1 year of college or like Kyrie less than a year college.  Lebron was 110 percent the real deal , KG was too., they ar rare.   Back in the old days , guys played 3-4 years in college,  you could better tell about ceilings .  Unless its another Lebron its like throwing darts .  Now,if a giy stays in school 3-4 years , wants to graduate ...then everybody thinks he is automatically not high potential.

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
easy...Fultz

Oh yeah ... I thought he was a sure thing.  Really never thought a guy with such physical tools and ball-handling skill could fail to be at least a semi-efficient high usage pick and roll guard in the modern NBA.

Really weird, what happened with Fultz.
Fultz forgetting how to shoot via physical or mental injury has to be the weirdest bust of all time.

Blowing out a knee, loving pancakes too much, addiction issues, and not putting physical tools to good use on the court have all happened before.

Forgetting how to perform a perfectly functional shot you've had since middle school is completely bizarre.

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I remember really wanting Royce White and thought Leston Hudson would be an absolute steal in the draft.

LOL ...i remember how many many people on this blog were adamant about Royce White being the sure deal.  There were lots of Flubbers in that draft . 

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I do wonder if this year's draft darlings Zion and RJ are going to vastly disappoint?  Obviously too soon to tell, but think there is a good chance. Hard for Zion to live up to that hype.  And RJ in NY--Just don't think that is the right place to make a lot of mistakes.

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Fultz. I watched some of his games at Washington, and he was brilliant. But then he got to the pros, and it looked like he had totally forgotten how to play the game. Something - maybe his injuries - damaged his psyche and he's never gotten over it.

I also wanted Portis the year we drafted Rozier.

Also thought Big Al Jefferson was going to be a superstar. He was a pretty good player, so totally not fair to call him a bust, but I thought he would be a perennial all star.

The game changed as Al Jeff came up and the low post game was phased out. Jefferson was also never a good defender.

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I remember really wanting Royce White and thought Leston Hudson would be an absolute steal in the draft.

LOL ...i remember how many many people on this blog were adamant about Royce White being the sure deal.  There were lots of Flubbers in that draft .

The 2012 draft really threw me off. I really believed Royce White was a poor man’s Lebron James. It’s a shame that we never got to see his full potential.

I also believed MKG was a game changer, and that Thomas Robinson was a good pick and perfect compliment to Boogie that would solidify the Kings front court.

More recently, I believed Kris Dunn had all star potential and was upset that we drafted Jaylen over him... oops  ;D