Author Topic: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?  (Read 10962 times)

Re: Worst draft prediction about a player you've ever made?
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Somebody has to do this.

Auerbach had the #4 pick in 1970. We all wanted Maravich. As far as I know, Red did too.

#1.Pistons took Bob Lanier out of St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies retired his number, he had a great career in Detroit, 7 time all star.

#2. Rockets, Rudy Tomjanovich out of Michigan. Lead nation in rebounds. Five time NBA all star.

#3. The Hawks, had San Francisco's pick and got Pistol Pete out of LSU.

#4. Celtics took Cowens and I was bummed. Of course, Red had orchestrated a "Cowens isn't that good" campaign before the draft.

8X all star
Two rings
Hall of Fame

What do I know?

My dad loved Cowens game and as a little fellowjust learning the game he made me sit and watch Cowens play .  He said it was the right way......I replied " But Daddy , he just doubled Kareem over with a elbow to the gut ! ".  Daddy say " thats ok son "  ;D

I learned about screwing with my opponent too,  I lived at the foul line . Every time the refs looked away I has something to,say to my opponents , and they played me harder and fouled me alot or got ejected .  Thats from Watching Bird latter.   Daddy smiled alot .

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Pretty sure there's a large contingent including myself who will be mentioning Dragan Bender here.. I'd been a fan of Brown when he declared for college but got sucked in by the hype.. Hezonja was another one.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty sure there's a large contingent including myself who will be mentioning Dragan Bender here.. I'd been a fan of Brown when he declared for college but got sucked in by the hype.. Hezonja was another one.

At least you admit it.  I bet a lot of people on here won't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2019, 01:03:19 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

At least you admit it.  I bet a lot of people on here won't.

I liked Bender, and Hezonja. My wife is from Bosnia and there's actually been a track record of good players from the region succeeding in the NBA, so I'm biased and tend to overrate those guys. Still - you could make a DARN good team with current players from former Yugoslavia... Jokic, Nurkic, Bogdanovic (both), Vucevic, Doncic, Dragic, Saric... others I'm forgetting.

Now I'm off-topic but there's a GREAT 30 for 30 about the Yugoslav national team during and after the split: Divac, Kukoc, Petrovic (RIP), Dina Radja (CELTICS!)
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really liked and believed in Bender.

I'm always going to believe that things could have worked out a lot differently for him if he was drafted by a team that had a clue about how to develop players.

Another recent one was Stanley Johnson.  I really liked how he looked from what I saw of his college play and thought he was a sure bet to be at least a solid player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
HMs
-I thought James Young was a lock to be a starter in this league. But in fairness I had Harris over him on my draft board so wouldn't have selected him.

-Felt great about JJ's selection and he was bad. Thought he was at worst a poor man's Battie, at best Horace Grant.

Winner
-Fultz, I thought was going to be an All-star after three years. He might be out of the league in four years.

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
going back a ways on this one but Keith Lee out of Memphis State.  guy was amazing in college in the 80's but it didn't translate well to the pros.   Second place would be Eric Murdoch out of PC.  had a senior season like nothing I'd see before or since.  another player who couldn't transfer his college results to the pros.

I'd throw Sam Bowie in there but he had the talent -- just couldn't stay healthy.

never really got into thinking anyone in college was a sure thing after the 80's.  grew a little wiser as I got older.

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Since I am an Iowa State grad I end up watching a lot of big12 basketball.  I would say a lot of my bad predictions come from the big 12

Beasley - thought he would be a good long term player, maybe all-star level, he was so good at K-state
Wiggins - I was sure he would develop as a top tier two way player...
James Young - I was really excited about drafting him at the time, and was sure that at some point it would click, but it didn't

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma, the University of Houston team with Olajuwon, Drexler, Williams, and Michael Young.

I thought Young was a pretty good pick for the Celtics. Instead he was a wasted pick. I was crushed he got cut before the season started, but Red didn’t have the time or space for a rookie that wasn’t ready on a contending team.

Michael Young was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 24th overall pick (1st round) of the 1984 NBA draft. He played in three NBA seasons: 1984–85 with the Phoenix Suns, 1985–86 with the Philadelphia 76ers, and 1989–90 with the Los Angeles Clippers.

He mostly played overseas after getting bounced around the NBA.

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I loved watching Phi Slamma Jamma, the University of Houston team with Olajuwon, Drexler, Williams, and Michael Young.

I thought Young was a pretty good pick for the Celtics. Instead he was a wasted pick. I was crushed he got cut before the season started, but Red didn’t have the time or space for a rookie that wasn’t ready on a contending team.

Michael Young was selected by the Boston Celtics with the 24th overall pick (1st round) of the 1984 NBA draft. He played in three NBA seasons: 1984–85 with the Phoenix Suns, 1985–86 with the Philadelphia 76ers, and 1989–90 with the Los Angeles Clippers.

He mostly played overseas after getting bounced around the NBA.

Remember Michael Smith, The Next Bird? 

"True story:  Michael Smith turned to Larry Bird on the team bus while out on a West Coast road trip in 1991, right around the trade deadline and said:

"I was talking to my agent and he heard a deal on his speaker phone.  Milwaukee sent Ricky Pierce to Seattle for Dale Ellis."

"I can't believe that," said Bird.

"What? The trade?" said Smith.  "I can't believe it either."

"No," said Bird.  "I can't believe your agent has a speaker phone." "

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You guys know .. the answer

One of the top shot blockers in college at the time

Athletic. 7'3-7'4 wingspan. Looks of a versatile 4. Held his own against a matchup vs KAT

Game didnt translate at the nba level

Oh man, this made me snort with laughter. TP. To be fair, Mickey is tearing it up overseas  ;D

My worst prediction was, like many, that Bender was the next Porzingis. I had him on an equal tier as Brown tho and did not want Dunn or Hield. First draft I started paying attention to was in 2013, I was super invested in Larkin, Schroder, and Dieng.

Some hits I had: Sabonis, Kuzma, Myles Turner, Smart, Garry Harris.

You and some others gushed about Bender

A guy who didnt have a reliable jump shot and also stated that he didnt want to add mass (to this effect) because it would hurt his mobility

Now is without a job and likely Europe or China bound

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I would say James Young but let's be real, I do it with every Cs player, I hype them up in my mind/heart! Now, I wanted Young before he was picked, wanted Hood even more but honestly, any Cs pick I would have thought had a shot at being a steal!

I wanted fultz too but that was from hype and letting the hype make me watch videos and read everything I could find on him. You can't blame a lot of us for that because most of us don't go all in on draft prospects, we just look at people who are talked up. Oh the time I spent on fultz...

Another note, James Young is ONLY 23!! [dang].
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Fultz. I watched some of his games at Washington, and he was brilliant. But then he got to the pros, and it looked like he had totally forgotten how to play the game. Something - maybe his injuries - damaged his psyche and he's never gotten over it.

I also wanted Portis the year we drafted Rozier.

Also thought Big Al Jefferson was going to be a superstar. He was a pretty good player, so totally not fair to call him a bust, but I thought he would be a perennial all star.

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2019, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
easy...Fultz. Still not sure what happened.

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
easy...Fultz

Oh yeah ... I thought he was a sure thing.  Really never thought a guy with such physical tools and ball-handling skill could fail to be at least a semi-efficient high usage pick and roll guard in the modern NBA.

Really weird, what happened with Fultz.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain