Author Topic: Bucher: KD to Knicks 'Done Deal'  (Read 9088 times)

Re: Bucher: KD to Knicks 'Done Deal'
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
KD might be better off signing with the possibly playoff bound Nets than going to the building-from-the ground-up-and-don't-even-have-a-decent-group-of-youth-to-build-from-yet, Knicks.

Nets might be able to dump Crabbe to a team for a future pick and clear up room for Durant and another free agent to add to the rest of the team.

Think about it. Nets could have almost the exact same team next year but with Durant replacing DaMarre Carroll and Kemba Walker/Kyrie Irving replacing D'Angelo Russell.

Kyrie or Kemba/Dinwiddie
Harris
LaVert/Kurucs
Durant/Hollis-Jefferson
Allan

That's a real good team.

It would be smarter, yes. Although, the smartest thing to do would probably be resign with GSW and ride out that dynasty.

But, he probably believes his only way to restore face would be to bring the Knicks back to prominence. It just wouldn’t matter as much if he went anywhere else, including the Nets.

If he brought New York a championship for the first time in nearly 50 years, he will be looked at a lot differently historically than winning ANYWHERE else. And financially the Knicks would probably be his best option as well, both from a marketing standpoint (Lakers he’s compete with LeBron) and all his other business ventures.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
KD might be better off signing with the possibly playoff bound Nets than going to the building-from-the ground-up-and-don't-even-have-a-decent-group-of-youth-to-build-from-yet, Knicks.

Nets might be able to dump Crabbe to a team for a future pick and clear up room for Durant and another free agent to add to the rest of the team.

Think about it. Nets could have almost the exact same team next year but with Durant replacing DaMarre Carroll and Kemba Walker/Kyrie Irving replacing D'Angelo Russell.

Kyrie or Kemba/Dinwiddie
Harris
LaVert/Kurucs
Durant/Hollis-Jefferson
Allan

That's a real good team.

It would be smarter, yes. Although, the smartest thing to do would probably be resign with GSW and ride out that dynasty.

But, he probably believes his only way to restore face would be to bring the Knicks back to prominence. It just wouldn’t matter as much if he went anywhere else, including the Nets.

If he brought New York a championship for the first time in nearly 50 years, he will be looked at a lot differently historically than winning ANYWHERE else. And financially the Knicks would probably be his best option as well, both from a marketing standpoint (Lakers he’s compete with LeBron) and all his other business ventures.
Oh, I still think he is headed to the Knicks. I just think with that management and ownership group in NY, that to be in the metro New York area but playing for a better team and organization in the Nets, might help his on court success more than going to the NYK.

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, it sounds like KD wants to be beloved as a savior of a franchise. 

Winning 50-55 games and making the conference finals with the Nets doesn't mean much.

After all, the Nets were a decent playoff team just a few years ago, and they made the Finals early in the 00s.  And how many die hard Nets fans there are, especially in the media?

Whereas the Knicks have huge cultural significance and haven't been any good since 2013, and haven't made it past the second round in 20 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Kyrie or Kemba/Dinwiddie
Harris
LaVert/Kurucs
Durant/Hollis-Jefferson
Allan

That's a real good team.

Oh, I still think he is headed to the Knicks. I just think with that management and ownership group in NY, that to be in the metro New York area but playing for a better team and organization in the Nets, might help his on court success more than going to the NYK.

I live in NYC, the Nets can be in the Finals and the Knicks in the lottery would still be more popular (as was the case in 2002-03).

The Nets have done a pretty remarkable job the last few seasons after losing so many top lottery picks (crazy to think how good they would be with #3, #1, #8 the last three drafts). No doubt they have the better front office, but the allure of the Knicks and MSG will always reign supreme over the Nets, regardless of their success.

I’m sure it’s pretty much the same way in LA.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
On it's own, Bucher doesn't mean much. But pretty much every NBA analyst/reporter who chimes in labels the chances of Durant to NYK as somewhere between a coin flip and a done deal to NYK. Then the Knicks trade KP in large part to generate double max space. And the Durant/Green invident earlier this year. And the fact that his tenure in GSW didn't lead to the adoration Durant thought. It all does seem to point to him going to the Knicks.

If it increased the chances of keeping Durant, the Dubs would trade Green in a heartbeat. And he has a very trade friendly expiring contract.

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2019, 03:07:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I think those who assume Kyrie and Durant are eager to go to the NYK are underestimating how much players are aware of, and value, the strength and stability of NBA organizations. If you're either player, you don't solve your problems of disappointment with your situation by going there.

The other thing is that people tend to exaggerate the significance of Kyrie's friendship with Durant. Guess what? He's also close friends with Anthony Davis. And for that matter, Jayson Tatum. I just don't see it.

Lastly, Durant has a life outside of basketball in California:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23532594/how-kevin-durant-building-silicon-valley-empire

Is he craving New York to such a degree that he uproots again to go to the other side of the country?

The most likely scenarios are that Kyrie stays in Boston; and Durant stays in California, either with GSW or LAL. If either go to the NYK I will be shocked.

Well I mean LeBron did formed a superteam in Miami, dating back to their 2008 Olympics collaboration with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Won't surprise me if Durant, Irving, and Davis formed one in New York. They do seem like pretty close friends, too

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2019, 03:13:35 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
On it's own, Bucher doesn't mean much. But pretty much every NBA analyst/reporter who chimes in labels the chances of Durant to NYK as somewhere between a coin flip and a done deal to NYK. Then the Knicks trade KP in large part to generate double max space. And the Durant/Green invident earlier this year. And the fact that his tenure in GSW didn't lead to the adoration Durant thought. It all does seem to point to him going to the Knicks.

If it increased the chances of keeping Durant, the Dubs would trade Green in a heartbeat. And he has a very trade friendly expiring contract.

I don't mean that Greene prohibits the NYK from keeping Durant, I mean that part of Greene frustration is KD's free agency and the overall feeling that he is a mercenary and is gong to leave. The point is, nearly everyone on and off that team thinks he's gone.

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2019, 06:49:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

And NO, NY Fans....as Gordon Hayward rounds into form Kyrie Irving has even MORE reasons to stay in BOS.

He has unfinished business in BOS - along with GH. He has no time for fans being locked up for sneezing in NY.

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think those who assume Kyrie and Durant are eager to go to the NYK are underestimating how much players are aware of, and value, the strength and stability of NBA organizations. If you're either player, you don't solve your problems of disappointment with your situation by going there.

The other thing is that people tend to exaggerate the significance of Kyrie's friendship with Durant. Guess what? He's also close friends with Anthony Davis. And for that matter, Jayson Tatum. I just don't see it.

Lastly, Durant has a life outside of basketball in California:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23532594/how-kevin-durant-building-silicon-valley-empire

Is he craving New York to such a degree that he uproots again to go to the other side of the country?

The most likely scenarios are that Kyrie stays in Boston; and Durant stays in California, either with GSW or LAL. If either go to the NYK I will be shocked.

Well I mean LeBron did formed a superteam in Miami, dating back to their 2008 Olympics collaboration with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

Won't surprise me if Durant, Irving, and Davis formed one in New York. They do seem like pretty close friends, too

They can just as easily form one in boston too.

And the only difference is that boston would still have horford, smart, and brown.

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Winning 50-55 games and making the conference finals with the Nets doesn't mean much.

After all, the Nets were a decent playoff team just a few years ago, and they made the Finals early in the 00s.  And how many die hard Nets fans there are, especially in the media?

Whereas the Knicks have huge cultural significance and haven't been any good since 2013, and haven't made it past the second round in 20 years.

If that's the case, then why didn't he stay in OKC?

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2019, 11:42:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

If that's the case, then why didn't he stay in OKC?

Excellent question.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I don't mean that Greene prohibits the NYK from keeping Durant, I mean that part of Greene frustration is KD's free agency and the overall feeling that he is a mercenary and is gong to leave. The point is, nearly everyone on and off that team thinks he's gone.

I just don't understand why. Why did he join GSW in the first place?

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think he wanted that championship ring badly on his resume and GSW was the shortcut to get there.

I think he & his team severely underestimated the backlash that choosing GSW would generate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I think he wanted that championship ring badly on his resume and GSW was the shortcut to get there.

I think he & his team severely underestimated the backlash that choosing GSW would generate.

Basically this. He joined because he knew he needed a ring or two to cement his legacy and GSW gave him the easiest path to that outcome. But he didn't anticipate the fact that most people would view those championships as somewhat diminished thanks to the front running nature of that stacked team. So now, he is essentially in a no  win situation where if he wins it all its viewed as inevitable, if he doesn't then its  a huge failure. Furthermore even tho he's a top 5 player in the NBA he's on a team thats not even really his, its Stephs. 

I know the Knicks are a joke, but there is some serious mystique an draw to that franchise. New York is the Mecca of basketball. And its the exact opposite situation as the GSW's. That team hasn't won for so long that if he goes there, wins it and he's the one who put that team together he would cement his basketball legacy forever. And its not like he can't get many of the same business opportunities and the like in New York that he has in California.

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Basically this. He joined because he knew he needed a ring or two to cement his legacy and GSW gave him the easiest path to that outcome. But he didn't anticipate the fact that most people would view those championships as somewhat diminished thanks to the front running nature of that stacked team. So now, he is essentially in a no  win situation where if he wins it all its viewed as inevitable, if he doesn't then its  a huge failure. Furthermore even tho he's a top 5 player in the NBA he's on a team thats not even really his, its Stephs. 

I know the Knicks are a joke, but there is some serious mystique an draw to that franchise. New York is the Mecca of basketball. And its the exact opposite situation as the GSW's. That team hasn't won for so long that if he goes there, wins it and he's the one who put that team together he would cement his basketball legacy forever. And its not like he can't get many of the same business opportunities and the like in New York that he has in California.

It's a shame so many people view Durant like this.  He's been the clear best player on GSW during his time there, and without him, they likely wouldn't have beaten the Cavs two years ago (GSW would have beaten the Cavs last year regardless). GSW needed him.

But, I do agree, it seems likely he'll leave GSW because of this.  But the interesting part about that is, that if GSW three-peats with him, but fails to win after he leaves, GSW will have bookended that three-peat without Durant and without a title to show for either season.  That will only stand to prove that Durant was, in fact, necessary, and will elevate his legacy.  His critics will be forced to finally acknowledge that which they refused to accept.