Author Topic: Bucher: KD to Knicks 'Done Deal'  (Read 9079 times)

Bucher: KD to Knicks 'Done Deal'
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:31:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829412-ric-bucher-warriors-kevin-durant-signing-with-the-knicks-is-done

"From everything I've heard, it's done," Bucher told Cowherd. "Yes, he's leaving."

Durant's current contract holds a player option for 2019-20.

Since arriving in the Bay Area in 2016, Durant has helped the Warriors win back-to-back championships while taking home Finals MVP both times. This year has more of the same to this point. He is averaging 26.5 points per game, his highest since joining Golden State, while guiding his team to the top record in the Western Conference at 53-24.

The thought of leaving a team after a potential three-peat may seem outrageous, but Bucher discussed the fact that Durant has never felt fully embraced by Warriors fans.

"It's not a matter of not liking or appreciating what he has," Bucher told Cowherd. "Kevin Durant has never been fully been embraced by the Warriors faithful. And has never, even from a national perspective, has been given the just due that you would expect for a guy who has been the NBA Finals MVP of their last two championships. It's still Steph's team."

KD + Kyrie + 2019 Pick (likely top 5)

Could be a fun team.  But it's the Knicks so they'll find a way to cuss it up and be dysfunctional.

Honestly, it would be a relief to me if the dysfunction were somewhere else and we didn't spend all year with the Celtics as one of the top "Team Disarray" candidates.

All Bucher says re: Kyrie, though, is that he's "likely" to join KD.  I imagine that whether or not the Celts trade for AD may factor into just how "likely."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Bucher: KD to Knicks 'Done Deal'
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Can't head to the playoffs without some Knicks clickbait. Ridiculous.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kinda stinks that Kyrie is leaving only because we likely won’t have a legitimate shot at a title next year.

Oh well.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:54:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
"It's not a matter of not liking or appreciating what he has," Bucher told Cowherd. "Kevin Durant has never been fully been embraced by the Warriors faithful. And has never, even from a national perspective, has been given the just due that you would expect for a guy who has been the NBA Finals MVP of their last two championships. It's still Steph's team.

What exactly did Durant expect when he left to go to Golden State? He went & joined a team coming off a Finals appearance that already have established stars.  Did he think he was just going to waltz in there and be recognized as the guy?  He was a gunner coming in and not "homegrown".

And from a national perspective, he took the perceived shortcut.  That tends to rub people the wrong way.

He damaged his own image by his actions.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
KD's legacy will take an even bigger hit if the Warriors end up NOT winning the Finals this season and he leaves about a month later  :P

Now I still think the Warriors are the favorites to win it all, but they certainly look more vulnerable than before, plus I think if they make the Finals they'll be facing a tougher and deeper Eastern team than those Cavaliers (like the Bucks or Raptors).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 08:00:24 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Is it just me...or do I NOT believe this at all.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bucher, making up news based upon an educated guess?

Sounds about right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
KD, Kyrie and bunch of misfits may finish 7th in East
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
...Honestly, it would be a relief to me if the dysfunction were somewhere else and we didn't spend all year with the Celtics as one of the top "Team Disarray" candidates...

I still don't quite understand this narrative. If the Cs do in fact trade for AD, we will have cleared out a good deal of our roster - Tatum/Smart and likely Rozier/Morris. I suppose if you consider Kyrie the heart of the dysfunction, then that is the end of the argument, but I posit that there were a number of other issues that factored into this less than impressive season.

The hierarchy would be pretty well defined and we would no longer be 'saddled' with Kyrie having to be the best player on the team.

This news comes as a pretty big blow to those who think it is a guarantee Kyrie signs with us. Hopefully that is still the case.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ric Bucher = Garbage reporter

Bleacher Report = Garbage news outlet

Garbage + Garbage = Not Garbage???

Something doesn't add up here.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Is it just me...or do I NOT believe this at all.

Given NBA rules regarding tampering, I have a hard time believing that KD is sending definitive signals (i.e., "done deal") regarding his plan to go to the Knicks.   If he does plan to go to the Knicks it would seem more probable that he'd be careful to keep his intentions to himself.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 08:49:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, Bill Simmons also said recently he would "bet the house" that KD is going to the Knicks.

I have no idea where Bucher and Simmons are getting this information from, but this all seems very suspicious.

As was mentioned, if KD was going to the Knicks, I'd also like to think he would keep it close to the vest and it wouldn't be reported even before the playoffs start.

I still don't believe Durant goes to New York as he has literally nothing to gain by leaving the best team in the league to go to the worst. I get that there's a certain glamour to playing in NYC but the Knicks also have no proven, winning track record. They haven't won an NBA title since 1973 and haven't won a playoff series since 2013 (ironically enough vs. the C's.)

They also have an unproven coach and an inept owner. It's a franchise swimming in futility and the only thing they have going for them is cap space.

This just seems like more unfounded speculation to create a buzz and bring some interest to the New York market which has been stagnant for a long time. Even the Nets have now leapfrogged the Knicks and that's after Ainge plucked three 1st rounders from them.

I've always felt and still feel that KD stays in GSW and IF he leaves, he goes to the Clippers and possibly teams up with Kawhi Leonard.

Now, if all these "reports" end up being true, Adam Silver really needs to prevent this signing from happening and investigate whether tampering was involved. If I am one of Durant's teammates, I am furious right now about reports (regardless of the validity) that he's already decided he's going to leave and play somewhere else next season.

I am a sucker for NBA gossip as much as the next guy, but I feel this season it's gotten too far between the rumors regarding AD, Kyrie and Durant (among others).

The league might also want to start putting a leash on the content being reported regarding it's players and free agency/trade rumors.

It seems like it's more rampant in the NBA than in any other league.

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kinda stinks that Kyrie is leaving only because we likely won’t have a legitimate shot at a title next year.

Oh well.
Did I miss some announcement or?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
whelp if thats true

Kyrie and Davis will be Knicks

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
whelp if thats true

Kyrie and Davis will be Knicks

Next season, the entire league is either going to be a Knick or a Laker.  The remaining 28 teams can take the year off since I am sure the league is having wet dreams about the Knicks and Lakers facing off in the finals.